Finally bought an oil extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always done virtually all my own mechanical work, but as I am getting older a lot of stuff is getting hard for me to do. I am turning 69 next week and it just gets harder and harder to get underneath my cars for routine maintenance. I do 5000 mile oil changes, so I can easily do 2 or 3 changes in an oil filter. I also change teams fluid every 25000 miles, with 2 cars, that will make my maintenance tasks a lot easier.

Six years ago I got the Pela. A bit pricey but worth every dollar. It's still going strong. It saved me tons of $$$.

I guess you can access the oil filter from the top? On my Toyota I have to get underneath to get to the filter.

It's something nice to have on hand for sure.

Wish I had one for the oil change I did yesterday on my in-laws ~3000 watt inverter generator. It's a "Powerhouse" brand and has only a playing card sized access panel you have to remove with a screw driver to get to the oil check/fill/drain.

I made a little plastic chute to help guide the used oil into my drain pan and that lasted about 0.5sec before it slipped out of the way, spilling half a crankcase worth of scorching hot oil into the bowels of the generator's roll-about enclosure. Fun!

Sorry for the rant. Point is, an oil extractor would be perfect for one of these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Billbert
I have always done virtually all my own mechanical work, but as I am getting older a lot of stuff is getting hard for me to do. I am turning 69 next week and it just gets harder and harder to get underneath my cars for routine maintenance. I do 5000 mile oil changes, so I can easily do 2 or 3 changes in an oil filter. I also change teams fluid every 25000 miles, with 2 cars, that will make my maintenance tasks a lot easier.

That should save you some aches and pains.

I also change teams fluid every 25000 miles, with 2 cars, that will make my maintenance tasks a lot easier.

Was that meant to say Trans fluid?

Oil filters are underneath, but I will run filters for more than 1 oil change. Purchased the extractor on Fleabay from Bavarian motorsport (made in Taiwan(

I quit doing all that a few years back,,,u / we get older, lol

Know what you mean.. Good idea with the extractor and mutiple runs with the filter.
01.gif

You can also bleed brakes with it, although the pro mechanics on here prefer pressure bleeding.

You should get a coil of hose the same size as the one that is provided with it. That way you can always have a clean hose if you need it.

They’re wonderful. Love them for small engines especially - no tipping the machine on its side.

When I had BMWs it was nice doing a topside-only oil change. But even for my Ford Fox engine it’s nice to extract the vast majority out before you pull the drain plug. No deluge of oil to worry about.

Pela 6000. Had it for 10+ years. Just bought another for a gift but it was under a different name, appeared to be the exact same product.

Last edited:
From above: "You should get a coil of hose the same size as the one that is provided with it."

In my experience the suction tubing is thin walled and is nearly a specialty item. I found tubing which'll fit through the dipstick tube but it's of "standard" construction.
By this I mean there's little cross sectional area left for oil.

Also with extractors you must learn (possibly the hard way) IF a suction line can reach the bottom of the pan.

Extractors can be slow.

I bought an extractor a few years back and must say they don't get all of the oil out in any of my cars or motorcycle. Very nice for tranny fluid changes through the tube. Love it for brake fluid changes and bleeding brakes when changing calipers too. Fairly disappointed that my cars only allow 1-2 qts each to be extracted out through the dipstick tube due to their design.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I bought an extractor a few years back and must say they don't get all of the oil out in any of my cars or motorcycle. Very nice for tranny fluid changes through the tube. Love it for brake fluid changes and bleeding brakes when changing calipers too. Fairly disappointed that my cars only allow 1-2 qts each to be extracted out through the dipstick tube due to their design.

It really depends on the car.

The 2.4 in the pontiac g6 had
The 2.5L fb25 in the 2013 outback was terrible maybe 48oz left.

My deere 212 about 2-3oz left.

For a well maintained car/engine its not so bad.. if you ran the oil 18000miles and it looks like coal tar.. yea drain plug all the way.

I pulled the drain plug after all those to confirm how much was left.

I have Griots Garage jobbie and it's great. Even if it doesn’t get all the oil and you have to pull the plug, there’s that much less of it to deal with. There may be a Ford 2.7 in my future and after seeing that drain plug set up I don’t care how little you get out of the thing at least you’re coping that much less in the deluge. If it managed to get all the oil out of a 2.7, the plug would never get removed.....

They leave about as much oil or even more in the sump. This is a fully drained pan with a Fumoto the reason can be seen in the second picture. I wont use one again. The junk in the oil is old gasket material and MoS2 that had fallen out of suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back