Few more feet coming down on New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
You should break those icicles off or they bring down your spout.

There are no gutters just crazy formation this year. Years past I get a tad of that and it would warm up and go away. This year due to continious cold/snow they are staying and not falling off if they form at all.

Wacking cold shingles with a roof rake may cause problems too. They used to put a couple feet of flashing at the bottom of roofs, but it seems people do snow and ice shield instead these days. At least two feet up, that way ice dams wont get water thro the roof even if it lifts shingles. Me, I had the roofer do the shield all the way up the roof. Should be fun to remove those shingles later....

[More recently I read an opinion piece about why that is a bad idea--any moisture in a hot roof, in summer, cant make its way out now. Cant win it seems.]

I pulled some snow recently (leaky vent pipe) and the ice was only on the eve. but its pretty stuck there.

DSC_0009_zpsrsinuw4y.jpg

I thought I was the only one with icicle issues!!!

I have a properly insulated and ventilated attic (insulated FLOOR with soffit vents) and steel roofing (up top) and still get issues.

Down low one can see the divot where I trucked away snow in preparation for the huge bust of a storm last weekend. I'm ok with it. Jackpot 20 miles southeast. Threw it in the bed of my F150 and took it 30 feet. Some of this snow I shovelled four times... off the roof, up out of a path between house & garage, into the truck bed, and out again.

In past years the pile has grown up to the roof, and my cat climbs up there.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Over 90" in three week period; And still more is coming. It seems as if there is bull eye painted on our county. We count the snow in feet these days. I need to find somebody to blame this upon.
Yeah, well the trouble is few of you will want to accept the answer to that. The prevailing understanding regarding the very cold temps is that a warming polar icecap weakens the semi-permanent wind circulation over the north pole (called the northern polar vortex) causing it to occasionally destabilize and droop over that part of North America.
wiki page

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
... that part of North America.
Sorry, just noticed Vikas said "county." Just the luck of the draw I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Over 90" in three week period; And still more is coming. It seems as if there is bull eye painted on our county. We count the snow in feet these days. I need to find somebody to blame this upon.
Yeah, well the trouble is few of you will want to accept the answer to that. The prevailing understanding regarding the very cold temps is that a warming polar icecap weakens the semi-permanent wind circulation over the north pole (called the northern polar vortex) causing it to occasionally destabilize and droop over that part of North America.
wiki page
When I I said I wanted to find scapegoat, I meant illegals or brown people belonging to different religions or welfare recipients dark skin people etc. Since you have been here long enough, you should know which scapegoats are safe to use on BITOG. Climate change discussion will get this topic locked up!

Here in the Twin Cities I doubt we've had over 20" of snow so far-and only a few inches left on the ground now as we had some good melt days. Been generally a bit colder than normal tho.

I am so sick of snow already!
mad.gif

Despite living here( NH )my whole life and going through a lot of bad winters this is by far the worst stretch of one big storm after another every couple days I have ever seen. This is the most recorded snow over this amount of time as well since they started keeping track! That includes the infamous blizzard of 1978 era that was so brutal and sort of the gold standard for winter comparisons around here.

Have been battling roof leaks in both bathrooms due to ice now for a week+. Even though my roof is actually covered with ice & water shield from the drip edge to the ridge vent( instead of just the 1st couple feet most do )the darned water still found a way in around the vent pipes. Sealing those vent pipe flanges 100% is hard. Get enough ice and eventually water will find a way in around them especially when your roof doesn't have a lot of pitch like mine.

This happened despite shoveling the roof off! When you get 24"-30"+ of snow at a time every few days it is hard to keep up with. The roof was leaking so I got all of the snow off and broke the ice up to allow it to drain and the next night we got another 24" and it happened again!
33.gif
Just cleaned it off again yesterday of another 24"+ from this last storm over the weekend. Now we have another storm coming in although this one is only supposed to be about 8-10" but wet and heavy and possible turn to ice so it could be as bad or worse than 24" of powder. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
crazy2.gif

The Ariens Sno-King I bought in 2011 is getting a major work out this year. Have already gone through 3/4 of the extra sheer pins I have and I can smell the belts cooking every time I use it. I hope they hold up until I can get some spares to have on hand( everyone is out locally ).

This has been a LONG, and brutal winter with all the snow and extreme cold temps, even for people used to New England winters, and I am really ready for spring in a big way. The sad thing is it is only about 1/2 over. We traditionally get cold temps and storms into late March. It is also sad that I got excited when I saw the extended weather forecast showing a day that was sunny and 25F degrees. That is a thaw at the rate we have had it for the last month.

It will be a glorious spring in the Northeast. With all of that moisture the plants will be very happy. And the people will be really happy in the springtime also.

If the black flies and mosquitoes hatch at the same time it'll be a hoot and a holler.

We haven't even gotten to frost heave season, syrup season, mud season, bug season, and by the time those are done it'll be tourist season.

Well, at least Boston and a few other places in the Northeast will be able to maybe set all-time snowfall records this year, and that is something people can tell their grandchildren. There is supposed to be at least one more major snowstorm coming to the Northeast. And that weather guy on the Weather Channel can jump around in the snow and be happy about thunder snow.

The last I heard Boston right now is tied for second all-time in snowfall. Is that correct? If so they should be able to break the record.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Well, at least Boston and a few other places in the Northeast will be able to maybe set all-time snowfall records this year, and that is something people can tell their grandchildren. There is supposed to be at least one more major snowstorm coming to the Northeast. And that weather guy on the Weather Channel can jump around in the snow and be happy about thunder snow.

The last I heard Boston right now is tied for second all-time in snowfall. Is that correct? If so they should be able to break the record.

Everything I have seen says this area( MA/NH )has already exceeded the overall record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back