Feds say tire recall system is 'completely broken'

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOUSTON (KTRK) --
Millions of potentially defective tires on on the road right now and drivers do not know it. Your tires could be included, it's all because the recall system for tires is broken according to a federal report.

It's a serious problem. The National Transportation Safety Board says each year there are 30,000 vehicle accidents caused by tire problems and 500 deaths, many because drivers do not know their tires were recalled.

Between 2009 and 2013 more than three million tires were recalled in the US, less than half of them were actually replaced by manufacturers. The reason, according to a government report, the owners of those tires never got the word about the recall.

Here's why. Right now only tires sold to consumers by manufacturers are automatically registered for recall notices. But the vast majority of tires are sold by independent dealers and those dealers are not responsible for registering tires, that's a job left to the people who buy the tires, you and me. The government wants to change that and make tire registration happen at the point of sale.

It would mean more work for those who sell tires, but ultimately it would make it easier for consumers to find out about the recalls.

Felix Villegas with American Wheel and Tire said, "It would take some time to get used to but I think it would be a good idea for us to do that for them. There are a lot of customers we deal with who have no idea how tires work or what to check as far as if there is a recall or when to even rotate their tires."

The NTSB also recommends tires be changed after six years, and that's six years from the time the tire was made, not six years of use. They recommend that because consumers often cannot tell if a tire needs to be changed simply by looking at them.

http://abc13.com/automotive/ntsb-recall-system-for-faulty-tires-is-broken/1053627/

Yup, it is a total cluster and has been for a long time. Tires are supposed to be registered but it ends up in a finger pointing battle over who needs to register them. I have registered the ones I have put on my car.

All the tire company webpages have the recalls listed.

Went online to register the recent set of Michelins we got for oilBabe's car. No drama. How hard is it for consumer who WANT to register their tires to do so?

The shop, Sam's Club, gave me a booklet from Michelin with a card and a URL. I could fill out the pre-paid card and mail it, or go on-line and register our tires.

Took 5 minutes. Really no different than the warranty cards you fill out for any other item purchased.

We don't need a huge government program for this. If people want to know about their tires, they'll register them. If they don't care, why should anyone else?

The first article took a little bit of liberty by claiming "many because their drivers do not know their tires were recalled".

This article more truthfully says they can't tell.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/ntsb-says-recall-system-faulty-tires-broken/:

About 500 people are killed and 19,000 injured in 33,000 tire-related accidents annually. It’s not possible to tell how many of those accidents were caused by recalled tires — as opposed to tires that hadn’t been properly maintained — because police typically don’t look for that information, investigators said.

The last time I bought tires, Discount Tire filled out a postcard with the serial numbers and mailed it for me.

Quote:
Between 2009 and 2013 more than three million tires were recalled in the US,

So, is there a website that lists all these tire recalls in one place, so one can easily determine if his tires are subject to a recall?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
Between 2009 and 2013 more than three million tires were recalled in the US,

So, is there a website that lists all these tire recalls in one place, so one can easily determine if his tires are subject to a recall?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

This webpage is for ALL recalls: Vehicles, tires, and car seats. It also is for ALL complaints, investigations and recalls.

If you want to do tires, select the tire tab, then look for the brand name of your tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back