FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple days ago I was in an Autozone and looked at a bottle of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Car Formula. On the back near the bottom it said "North American Sales Only". Hmmmm....

I have GC in my S10 right now. AM at 5,000 miles all highway driving. and the oil isn't completly black yet. Whys that. I use to run MB1 530 every 3,000 miles and it would be black at that point. I know my engine is spotless inside, (i've had the pan off before) Is this oil not good at cleaning?

Originally Posted By: JimsWS6
I have GC in my S10 right now. AM at 5,000 miles all highway driving. and the oil isn't completly black yet. Whys that. I use to run MB1 530 every 3,000 miles and it would be black at that point. I know my engine is spotless inside, (i've had the pan off before) Is this oil not good at cleaning?

There's nothing wrong with the oil,your engine inside is just
that clean,my one car is the same way with M1.

Should I bother checking my autozone for green or will it be gone? And was it truly green/ In some of the pictures it looked brown with a green top layer.

Some may have it, just depends. It's all green.

609121_150_full.jpg

Synthetic lubricants consist of a base stock, manufactured through molecular restructuring of the refined products obtained from crude oil, blended with a range of chemical additives to give each lubricant a unique combination of performance properties – the base oil accounts for about 80 per cent of the blend, while the additives, including detergents, friction modifiers, anti-wear compounds and others, make up the remainder. The formulations in the EDGE lubricants range are predominantly synthetic.(BP internet site explanation)

The above is for uninformed public consumption,I work for Caltex/Chevron

There are no references at all in any document(internet) I can find or request from Castrol that discloses if EDGE is a "hydrocracked" group 111 or a PAO group V base stock type oil.In the USA the racing fraternity says stick to German produced Castrol Syntec because it IS PAO based,all the others are group 111 based oils,the vague conflict with what is "Synthetic" and what is Group 111 hydrocracked based is at stake.Is EDGE hydrocracked with pao additives or just fully hydrocracked,or as suggested a refined mineral oil blended with PAO additives.The chronically vague explanation given on the BP site suggests it could be any of the above.

please assist

alan
south africa

i AM IN SOUTH AFRICA,CASTROL STOCKS ONLY THE CHEAP FAST SELLING PRODUCTS.WE DONT HAVE TECTION EDGE,SYNTEC,4T OUTBOARD OIL,OR ANY OF THE SOPHISTICATED TRANSMISSION OILS THAT ARE PRODUCED BY BP USA.WELCOME TO DARKEST AFRICA

Dont give up guys on the hunt for the green gc, I kid you not the first a/z I went into had this green quart faced to the front, no more green but plenty gold, this green was code M03XXX
as shown in my pic
kids%20135.jpg

Last edited:
yeah i up to sometime in '05. i found some green too and a local napa-esque chain. they want $7.50 a bottle. i'm gonna see if i can haggle them down (it's '03).

Just stumbled onto 3 bottles of Castrol 0W30 with the following codes at my local auto parts store (name withheld since I might go back and buy them if replies to this posting are favourable):

1 bottle M93xxx...
2 bottles M00xxx...

They say imported, but not 'Made in Germany' (they don't say anything about where made). They are all SJ.

What is this stuff? GC green (since they are prior to M05010xxx (see original post)), GC gold, or just old regular stuff?

Hi,
tilley - The first version of GC 0W-30 ("Formula SLX" here in OZ) hit the market here in 1996 - it was ex Germany. I was an intial user around 1996. It was NOT a good product and I believe that I had an engine failure due to the formulation!

It was reformulated to SJ (and sourced from Singapore IIRC) and then to SL (blended in OZ) - it was withdrawn from sale here around 2000-2001 after a "silent" recall!

I would not use a SJ version!

Typically, Castrol's Edge is blended at various locations around the globe!

Last edited:
Thanks for the history and the warning Doug!

I did go back to that auto parts store and those 3 SJ bottles were still there. A little more digging and I found 7 litres of SL with date codes of M02. Comparing the colour of these 7 through the transparent strip on the side of the bottle, looks like I got some of the green stuff everyone is clamouring about. It's all SL and being 2002 it post dates the 'silent' recall you mention.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: tilley
Thanks for the history and the warning Doug!

I did go back to that auto parts store and those 3 SJ bottles were still there. A little more digging and I found 7 litres of SL with date codes of M02. Comparing the colour of these 7 through the transparent strip on the side of the bottle, looks like I got some of the green stuff everyone is clamouring about. It's all SL and being 2002 it post dates the 'silent' recall you mention.

Cheers!

Update: Just found 4 more bottles of green with date codes of M04 ! This is good fun. Can't wait to pour.

Using M1 15W50/SM. Time will tell whether it's as good as the old SL formulation, but I've decided that it 'probably' is. Bought the car used; according to the records, M1 15W50 is what the car has used about 90% of it's life, so I'll stick with it. 72K miles, no rebuilds and running extremely well.

I am however, considering M1 5W50 (per the latest Porsche Approved Oils list) for the winter months, for drives on days when the temperature rises to around -10 deg C and the roads are bare and dry.

I see you are using Delvac 5W40 in yours. Equivalent to a M1 mixed-fleet synthetic? (I haven't seen 'Delvac' on labels here).

BTW: The Castrol 0W30 is for the Volvo during the coming winter!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back