FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kaiser
That's strange because here in Germany, all Castrol's are built in Belgium...

IDK, I remember buying "Black" Castrol 15W40 wile living in Bosnia in 90's that was Made in Germany.
We have also 0W30 that is Made in Belgium.

That's strange because here in Germany, all Castrol's are built in Belgium...

Same here. And not only Castrol. Most oils are either from Belgium or Netherlands.

Ok, and what do you think about the Titanium technology ? is it a myth ? or there is really titanium in the oil which provides more resistance ?

I used previous version in Tiguan and now Titanium version. Tiguan's 2.0TSI has some rough noise (not sure why) compare to sam engine in CC (had it) or GTI. Since using Titanium version engine sounds smoother. There is difference for sure.

The GC Edge FST 0w40 is only LL01 approved, but here in EU it's LL04 approved.
Why ?

In EU LL-04 is preferred spec. LL-01 is specified in ROW to counter different fuel quality (high sulphur, different fuel trimming due to separate emission standard in North America).
Oil manufacturers reflect this with their offer. Full SAPS are getting rarer in EU.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
The GC Edge FST 0w40 is only LL01 approved, but here in EU it's LL04 approved.
Why ?

In EU LL-04 is preferred spec. LL-01 is specified in ROW to counter different fuel quality (high sulphur, different fuel trimming due to separate emission standard in North America).
Oil manufacturers reflect this with their offer. Full SAPS are getting rarer in EU.

^This.
Your 535i is also DI engine, and LL-04 might be better choice. Here in the U.S. we have high sulfur gas, so LL-01 is better choice.

But even with LL01 my engine will run with no issues right ?

I can put LL01 or LL04 ?

Because I found an oil which is good for me and my driving style (lot of very high speed driving on german autobahn over 200km/h)
but it meets only LL01

I also noticed that the OEM BMW 0w40 oil (the M TwinPower Turbo) meets only LL01 spec. So theoretically I can also put LL01 in my N55 engine ?

But even with LL01 my engine will run with no issues right ?

I can put LL01 or LL04 ?

Because I found an oil which is good for me and my driving style (lot of very high speed driving on german autobahn over 200km/h)
but it meets only LL01

I also noticed that the OEM BMW 0w40 oil (the M TwinPower Turbo) meets only LL01 spec. So theoretically I can also put LL01 in my N55 engine ?

You can put either LL-01 or LL-04.
Difference is in SAPS level of those oils (SAPS=Sulfated Ash & Phosphorus). SAPS is not really good for DI engines. However, when gas has a lot of sulfur (like in the U.S.) one needs high SAPS oil. BMW high SAPS oil is LL-01. LL-04 is what is known as Mid-SAPS oil. It has lower SAPS levels. For example, Valvoline 5W40 HST is High-Sapst (HST=High Saps Technology) and has Sulfated ash at 1.23. Valvoline MST that I use in X5 is Mid Saps oil (MST=Mid-Saps Technology) and SAPS level is at 0.76.
How does that affects your engine? Higher SAPS will create more deposits on your valves since N55 is DI engine. That is bigger concern in the U.S> then Germany due to strict speed limits in the U.S. However, due to high sulfur levels in gas in the U.S. and nature of DI engine, we need to use High-SAPS oil in order to combat TBN depletion. In Europe, there is no excessive TBN depletion since EU has Ultra low Sulfur gas (ULSG), hence, you can use LL-04 and in that way prevent some carbon build up.
As for 200+km/h do not worry about that. LL-01 and LL-04 equally protect engines.

No, IMO it won't hurt anything, especially not for one OCI, but as Eddy mentioned you don't gain anything either. Full SAPS oils can promote intake valve deposits formation over longer periods on DI engines. Again, nothing wrong with using FS oils for one or two OCI.
Personally, later on, I would switch to LL-04 lubricants. Plenty of choice from majors manufacturers.

what I found on another forum

Quote:

If your car doesn't have advanced aftertreatment like a DPF there's no need for a low SAPS oil. Non-low SAPS oils (not calling them high-SAPS) will have higher quantities of anti-wear compounds which almost invariably contain P or S, like ZDDP and MoS2. I'd rather have maximum wear protection in my older vehicle than the latest letters on the API classifications.

Now it will be interresting to know if those anti-wear compound are dangerous for modern DI or not in european condition, I use 33% of time 98 Octane fuel and 33% of time 100 octane fuel and 33% of time 102 octane fuel

Your Bimmer is hardly old, is it? If you were asking about older, port injected cars I would be first to advise full SAPS oil. In those there is petrol washing intake ports and valves, so ASh levels aren't as important.

CX oils use organic, more advanced add packs. There is a Brit member here that knows more about it. This M1 with 1.3% ash level is really on a heavy side, even for a3/b4 oil.

The oil is M1 New life 0w40, the Level of sulfated ash is 1,3%.

That can be dangerous for the N55 ?

It is not "dangerous." But over time it might develop some valve deposits. However, in your case it helps you are in Germany as fast driving (pushing car) helps too.
Again, I think Castrol is better choice since Castrol 0W40 LL-01 has 1.15 SA, and even better, LL-04 has much lower.
As for protection, do not worry. LL-04 will protect engine same as LL-01.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

It is not "dangerous." But over time it might develop some valve deposits. However, in your case it helps you are in Germany as fast driving (pushing car) helps too.
Again, I think Castrol is better choice since Castrol 0W40 LL-01 has 1.15 SA, and even better, LL-04 has much lower.

hummmm...
That's a problem

Originally Posted By: edyvw

hummmm...
That's a problem

That all DI cars have. Learn to live with it. You can mitigate that by using Low-SAPS oils like Mobil1 5W30 ESP that have really low level of SA and by driving car long distances.

I think I will choose the Castrol Edge FST Titanium 0w40,
In Germany it meets the following specs :
- BMW LL04
- MB 229.51
- Dexos²
- Porsche A40

that costs 60€ for 7 litters

According a VOA, the flashpoint is 225°C and the viscosity at 100°C is 13,1 mm²/s the viscosity index is 172 and the NOACK is 8,8% according to a VOA on the oil-club.ru

But I didn't find the HTHS value...

I think I will choose the Castrol Edge FST Titanium 0w40,
In Germany it meets the following specs :
- BMW LL04
- MB 229.51
- Dexos²
- Porsche A40

that costs 60€ for 7 litters

According a VOA, the flashpoint is 225°C and the viscosity at 100°C is 13,1 mm²/s the viscosity index is 172 and the NOACK is 8,8% according to a VOA on the oil-club.ru

But I didn't find the HTHS value...

3.7-3.8 that region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back