FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Originally Posted By: Hessen
Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
GC is on the new sales flyer of Autozone. 5qts of oil (either 5+ qt jug or 5 individual qts of bottles) and a Bosch Premium oil filter is priced at $26.99+tax.

Just bought 15 quarts at 2 different AZs while the sale is on :)

15 qts. ? WOW
Once in every 3 months it is on sale at Autozone.Last time I needed to change oil it was not and I did not have any GC, I had to buy M1 0W-40, but yesterday I got 5 qts for the next change 10K miles later.

I should buy more in case Autozone stops including Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in its sales.

My engine takes a ridiculous 7.9qts! This barely covers me for two OCIs. The AZ sales clerk looked at me like I was a crack whore when I huffed the little red basket up onto the counter and said "You got any more?"
smirk2.gif
You should definitely stock up while it's cheap and plentiful
55.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Bob, I did like your original question
56.gif

i.e. HTHS of GC

and I will add to this...

I know there are posts floating around giving some of the product stats of GC but I don't see them consolidated in this thread i.e

- viscosity at 40 and 100?

- NOACK #?

- CCV?

Anyone?

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Bob, I did like your original question
56.gif

i.e. HTHS of GC

and I will add to this...

I know there are posts floating around giving some of the product stats of GC but I don't see them consolidated in this thread i.e

- viscosity at 40 and 100?

- NOACK #?

- CCV?

Anyone?

I changed my post since I found the answer by searching after I posted
33.gif
(it's 3.6). And it was too late to delete the post.

I found the answer by searching after I posted
33.gif
(it's 3.6).

Just curious Bob where you found this 3.6 #. A BITOG post or something more 'official' from Castrol?

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

I found the answer by searching after I posted
33.gif
(it's 3.6).

Just curious Bob where you found this 3.6 #. A BITOG post or something more 'official' from Castrol?

BITOG Posts. (search for "GC" in these)

The last post has info from Castrol.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=530562&page=4

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=134089

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=720762

Is the GC still good, or has it dropped n quality since the thread was begun?

I just bought some M07 on fire sale. Kind of curious if it's still a superior oil these days? And, how fast the additives begin to disintegrate when the oil sits on a shelf?

Do synthetic oils with more additives have shorter shelf-lives than dino?

Originally Posted By: atriuum0
Is the GC still good, or has it dropped n quality since the thread was begun?

I just bought some M07 on fire sale. Kind of curious if it's still a superior oil these days? And, how fast the additives begin to disintegrate when the oil sits on a shelf?

Do synthetic oils with more additives have shorter shelf-lives than dino?

There hasn't been any proof that the Gold is inferior to the Green in any way.
I believe that people were actually in love with the Green color. Somehow it just seemed more mysterious and magical. I never had it but I can see the allure of it. I also can see how the change had the perceptive effect of it being NOT as good. Apparently they changed some ingredient out and the color now appears golden like most oils. It's never been proven relevant and still has the -54C Pour Point that the green had.

It's probably the best shelf oil that you can buy in the United States. Mobil 1 0W-40 is the other one. The GC can't be run in as many vehicles is the only thing. If I had to guess, and I bet I'm right, it probably cost the most to manufacture of any retail based synthetic. Based on the fact that it is PAO and actually produced in Germany and imported here.

Last edited:
Personally, I find it hard to believe that Gold GC has a TBN of only 5.5. There have been many other VOAs where it showed to be significantly higher. Heck, even in my 530i, after 5700 miles (12 months), the TBN was still 5.9.

Not sure if a long-life oil (carries long life specs from BMW and MB) could be allowed to have such a low starting TBN.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Personally, I find it hard to believe that Gold GC has a TBN of only 5.5. There have been many other VOAs where it showed to be significantly higher. Heck, even in my 530i, after 5700 miles (12 months), the TBN was still 5.9.

Not sure if a long-life oil (carries long life specs from BMW and MB) could be allowed to have such a low starting TBN.

Quattro,

I think you are 100% correct. Those low TBN numbers were stated in the beginning of the thread that I referenced. As you read on into it, I believe there were claims similar to what you just mentioned.
I think the final consensus was that the TBN of Gold is lower but it no doubt still qualifies as a Long Life oil as evidenced by the specs that it meets.

5.5 as TBN in unused oil??? Well, next time I should buy the cheapest yellow Pennzoil for 2 bucks a bottle then.More protection for less. LOL

I've only got another 1500 or 2000 miles until my 10K mile interval is up, I'll be switching out (and UOAing) M1 0w40 for GC. Will do a VOA at that time on GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back