FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what lexus114 is saying is that it's not worth your time driving to specifically get the green GC since the gold GC is just as good. GC is worth a try, regardless if you find it in gold or green.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I think what lexus114 is saying is that it's not worth your time driving to specifically get the green GC since the gold GC is just as good. GC is worth a try, regardless if you find it in gold or green.

So the Green was made in Germany and the Gold is made in the US???? Has anyone done VOA's on the two oils to compare additives? Does anyone know if there is a difference in the base stocks of the two oils?

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
So the Green was made in Germany and the Gold is made in the US????

No. Both are made in Germany. If it's not "Made in Germany", it is not GC.

Quote:

Has anyone done VOA's on the two oils to compare additives?

Yes. VOAs have been done. Search in the VOA subforum.

Quote:

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the base stocks of the two oils?

That's the million dollar question. Nobody knows because this would require very expensive testing.

I found a couple of VOA's, one from 2004 (which I will assume to be the green formula) and one from 2009 (which I will assume to be the gold formula). There are some significant differences here.....

German Castrol 0w30

2004 VOA
Calcium 3631
Magnesium 104
Phosphorus 822
Zinc 935

2009 VOA
Calcium 1634
Magnes 498
Phos 837
Zinc 966

I guess the $1m question is.....will the increased Mg in the 2009 sample, make up for the seriously decreased amount of Ca?

I suppose I am preaching to the choir in this thread, but the more I study this oil, the more I like it. In any vehicle I own, I am completely convinced that it is a 10k OCI oil. Once I use up my stash of PP and M1, I will probably become a GC fan.....across the board.

Last edited:

You nailed it Pete!!
grin2.gif

This is posted elsewhere. Here is mine with GC 0W-30. Not too happy with the results considering the oil only had 1500 miles on it.
l_a00c9ace4fca4a089f33382687524654.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to pass judgment on this UOA since you have just rebuilt the motor. Some of those metals would have likely still shown up there, regardless of oil used.

Hard to pass judgment on this UOA since you have just rebuilt the motor. Some of those metals would have likely still shown up there, regardless of oil used.

Agree ^^^^

The problem is that it is rebuilt using most of the original parts. It gets new rotors, rotor housing are 50/50 new/used(they are measured for reuse), front/int/rear housing are also 50/50 replaced, front covers are 50/50 based on condition/appearance. Flywheels are usually replaced with new unless they are obviously in almost new condition. Oil pans/water pumps are new. Pulleys are 50/50 replaced. Eccentric shafts are usaully reused. All seals/springs so on are new.

But we will see in another couple hundred miles then I will have a full 3,000 on pure (0W-30 GC).

No I have not. This is the third motor and I determined to make this one last so I am doing everything possible.

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
I wanna thank you all for turning me into a GC fan. I use it religiously now. Let's hope Castrol doesn't stop producing it.

Something in the back of my mind tells me this is gonna happen!

How long can I go with GC before my next oil change? I was thinking 5000 miles...I have a 3.7 Jeep Liberty.

Thoughts?

Oh I'm using a Fram Extended Guard filter.

Really you need to do a UOA and find out how the oil performs in your jeep. 5,000 should be safe for your first UOA with GC 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
How long can I go with GC before my next oil change?

Totally depends on your driving patterns and operating conditions.

90% city, 10% highway. As far as a UOA, I'll have to do some yellow pages digging to find a place that does that around here. If I don't find a place, well...every 5000 miles it is then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back