Extended interval oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

He's from the UK and he mentioned that his car specifies 60K miles for oil & filter changes.

Did you mean kilometers instead of miles? Man ..that's still a stretch @ 36k miles for an OCI. Then again ..over 3 or 4 OCIs ... I wonder if that was a diesel or something with some sophisticated filtering system or really large sump
confused.gif

quote:

ut why are US auto's still pushing 3-5k OCI's.

Well, the OEM's aren't. They're pushing 7500 OCIs ..the aftermarket and oil companies are bolstering the 3-4k/3-4 month OCI (shh-and if you glance at the UOA section ...you'll see that they are quite effective at doing so
grin.gif
). I think the Euros have different priorities and different ways of conserving different resources. Their gasonline is conserved through high taxation and funds a good bit of their public mass transit system ..which is extensive. The effort here appears to be to get more out of each quart of motor oil consumed on the consumer level.

In the US, on the other hand, we have an almost 100% car owning public. We also have a lousy and expensive mass transit system ..and a vast geographical area to traverse fitting much of western Europe several times within our borders (the majority of it)...so a few oz. of fuel per day/per car is more important than a gallon of oil every three months in comparison. That's why, IMHO, we use light weights ..they spec heavy weights.

[ November 01, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

quote:

Did you mean kilometers instead of miles? Man ..that's still a stretch @ 36k miles for an OCI. Then again ..over 3 or 4 OCIs ... I wonder if that was a diesel or something with some sophisticated filtering system or really large sump

It was miles, they still use miles in the UK even though everything else is metric. Wasn't a diesel, the engine was a 1.5 liter.

That's incredible. If you ever get the opportunity to find out what it was, I'd sure be interested to hear who makes this ...and how much it costs (sump size etc.). This could either be a throw away engine ..or some leading edge design. @ 1.5 liters ..I would think it's "one for the masses". I wonder if it has a consumption "norm" ..but that would kinda neutralize any resource savings over an XOCI

With many new rides now calling for 7,500 mi non-Severe Service intervals, I think it safe to assume that all name brand filters are designed to last this long. And many firms (Honda and Chrysler, just to name two) call for filter changes every OTHER oil service, resulting in 15,000 mi filter changes.

I'd be interested to know which vehicle it was as well. I was just in England this past May. Nothing to do with work though..

FWIW..Europe may be increasing their oil change intervals as a result of environmnetal concerns for disposal of used oil and filter.

Something that is on the back burner here in the USA as well.

Not being the oil expert, as some in here are, wouldn't the oil industry have to adjust thier formulations to allow for increased change intervals? Especially additive packages.

Well ..I think that they aready have, per se'. The same companies market the longer life oils in Europe. I think the main thrust here in the US is fuel economy since wh have such a massive motoring fleet, unlike Europe with it's heavily taxed fuel. We seem to need thinner oils to boost the fleet average ..so the actual gallons of crude consumed will be less ...even with only 7500 OCI. If we had a mass transit system ...and a $4 tax on a gallon of gas ..then conservation of gasoline would be built into driving ..then you evolve to the conservation of motor oil.

I believe it's all a matter of energy policy..

Well the car is a Peugeot 406 1.8 liter. He said he would look up the details of oil, oil weight, volume, and confirm the change interval.

Tim

Here is another car that touts long drain intervals.

BMW 330Cd
BMW’s first ever diesel Coupé will feature the perfect marriage of an uprated version of the muscular 3.0-litre diesel engine to the dynamic poise and handling of the renowned 3 Series Coupé chassis.
The new, lighter engine in the BMW 330Cd offers an extra 20 bhp, increased low-down torque (max 410 Nm available at 1,500 rpm), improved top speed and 0-62 performance. Improved fuel consumption makes the package even more unbeatable.
The uprated 3.0-litre diesel will also be added to the 330d Saloon and Touring.
The combustion process and oil filtration systems within the new 3.0-litre engine have also been refined, resulting in reduced contamination and extended oil change intervals of over 25,000 miles.

My UK friend must be mistaken with his car what I have found on the web was 20,000 km OCI which is 12,427 miles

quote:

Peugeot servicing intervals have been extended to 20,000 km or 12 months (up from 10,000 km / six months), dramatically reducing maintenance costs over the life of the car.

IIRC, some of the newest French cars (Peugeot, Renault) are now on 30K km OCIs.

As far as oil filter that can go the distance, Mann/Mahle/Hengst (OEM for VW/Audi) are generally regarded as very good (good build quality, lots of filtering material, etc.) and are rated for 30K km or 2 years. At least that's what it says right on the filter.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
And many firms (Honda and Chrysler, just to name two) call for filter changes every OTHER oil service, resulting in 15,000 mi filter changes.

Good point. If Acura can recommend using the same cheap filter for every 2 changes with dino oil, I'm sure I should be fine with Amsoil ASL, an (oversize) Fram X2 and magnetic drain plug.

The PDF posted in this was also very informative. I think I will get a UOA done between my next change.
cheers.gif

[ November 06, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Mobil2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back