Fram ultra quality control

Your BITOG card is revoked !! 😄 ;)

Now wait a minute, Atleast I kept it in the bitog family ;)

This has been covered many times:
- the holes in the baseplate will flow way more than than the PD pump will push; it's moot
- as for the "mesh screen", are you referring to the wire backing on the media, or is there a louvered center tube? It's been a common complaint that louvers are often not well formed. Never heard this about a wire mesh backing.

I've been changing oil for years and never knew to check the louvers. The only thing I ever checked were the threads on the base plate to make sure it didn't have any metal shavings, and that nothing had fallen down inside. Those two frams are going straight back to walmart for a refund. For the record, the fleetguards still have quality control issues too. In fact, when I went to oreillys to get a different brand, they had two mopar branded (fleetguard) oil filters. one of them had the threads messed up.

I've been changing oil for years and never knew to check the louvers.
Closed up louvers and saying to take a look at them before buying or installing a filter have been talked about for years in this forum. ;)

clearly not enough considering how much I post on this forum.
Louver discussions come up all the time, lol.

Which one would you use? These photos (and many others) have been referenced many times. 😄

1704512365070.png

Louver discussions come up all the time, lol.

Which one would you use? These photos (and many others) have been referenced many times. 😄

View attachment 200232
I recently purchased a Napa Gold filter that had louvers that looked much like the lower picture. I took a dental mirror to look at the bottom facing louvers and was relieved to see they were open. It's on the shelf but I don't know that I'm going to use it.

I'm really starting to like the Champ ecore type filters. No worries about restriction in those things.

That's not a good analogy - not even close. Flow being forced through a flow path like an oil filter and engine oiling system by a PD oil pump doesn't behave anything like that example.

The flow through rhe system will not be effected until the flow resistance becomes so great that it causes the output pressure to increase to the point the pump hits pressure relief. An oil filter would have to be almost totally blocked to cause that to happen, and high RPM with cold oil combined with high restriction can make the pump hit pressure relief sooner.

And yes, having very closed down louvers don't help. A base plate would have to have very small and few holes to make any real big difference to the dP vs flow across the base plate.
Volume increases pressure decreases

Not in an engine oiling system with a PD oil pump forcing oil through it. When the engine RPM increases, the oil volume also increases, and the result is higher oil pressure everywhere in the oiling system.

Not in an engine oiling system with a PD oil pump forcing oil through it. When the engine RPM increases, the oil volume also increases, and the result is higher oil pressure everywhere in the oiling system.
That's because the size of the oil galleries stays the same. I was referring to the culvert example lol

That's because the size of the oil galleries stays the same. I was referring to the culvert example lol
Oil galleries have different sizes throughout an engine oiling system. If more oil volume is forced through the oiling system by the PD oil pump, then the oil pressure in all the galleries also increase, regardless of their size. Not one location within the force fed oil gallery system decreases in pressure when the pump puts out more flow volume.

And like I mentioned before, flow in a culvert has absolutely nothing to do with oil flow in an engine oiling system. It's not any kind of analogy.

Think you are trying to say TFA (total fluid area) such as an increase in ID which has an impact on frictional pressures - but not necessarily flowrate … It can on gravity driven flow - but same flow, different pressure with a pump …

Back