Metal particles on filter louvers

WesRo

Hi all, newbie here on the forums.

So by now we all know to wipe the threads on every new filter, I do occasionally see small particles from the threads, I'm sure thats common with all/most oil filters.

Filters in question:
* Donaldson P502051 (made in Indonesia)
* Baldwin B161-S (made in USA)

But decided to wipe the louvers on the inside of the oil filter with my finger, and the Donaldson seems to have a lot of metal particles on the lovers, I did this a lot of times because I could not believe what I was seeing. The pictures are not great, but hopefully it gives some idea, its a lot worse in person.

Now for the Baldwin, I did the same thing, and was only able to find very few particles, however the louvers are overall much cleaner (no black grease on finger). I checked other Baldwin filters I have, and the louvers seemed even cleaner. IMO Baldwin always seems to have the cleanest louvers.

But the Donaldson, how could they make a filter with dirty louvers? Has anyone else seen anything like this before? Use your finger and press and rub the inside of the filter louvers, is your finger darker? do you see shiny particles?

I called Donaldson support, and they said to return the filter for a refund. But it happened once, could happen again...

Wes

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

Might be my next go-to filter. Checks all the boxes IMO, and no louvers to be checking out - lots of big holes in the center tube. Looks like tons of pleats - I'm guessing 70+ from what I see in the center tube holes. Thick can, and even a silicone base gasket along with the silicone ADBV. Even leak tested. What's there not to like?

View attachment 204520
Here’s a display we have at my job.

IMG_0641.jpeg

Only thing I’d like to know is bypass specs, which I’m not too concerned with. Really just curious.
It might vary by model, but the MicroGard for a Mustang Coyote V8 is 22 PSI. Question was asked on O'Reilly's website and answer given by someone from O'Reilly.

1708469879312.jpg

Back