Explain uninsured motorist coverage

I would say the percentage of uninsured drivers on the road is much higher than 10-15%...more like 50%...
I was told by the Washington State Police when my my truck was wrecked that 60% of the people in WA do not carry auto insurance.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
I was told by the Washington State Police when my my truck was wrecked that 60% of the people in WA do not carry auto insurance.

Is it required for car registration?

I got a notice from the CA DMV once that I couldn't register until they had my insurance information. I'd just gotten new insurance and there was an issue where the VIN in the database was off by a single digit. My parents just got a new car and they were able to register it as a new vehicle, but they got a notice too. They were required to get insurance specific to the car within 30 days of purchase, and the letter stated that they had no insurance on file. I asked to see their insurance card and it was off by one letter and one digit and I helped call it in to their insurer to fix that and then mail a copy of the insurance card to the DMV.

Is it required for car registration?

I got a notice from the CA DMV once that I couldn't register until they had my insurance information. I'd just gotten new insurance and there was an issue where the VIN in the database was off by a single digit. My parents just got a new car and they were able to register it as a new vehicle, but they got a notice too. They were required to get insurance specific to the car within 30 days of purchase, and the letter stated that they had no insurance on file. I asked to see their insurance card and it was off by one letter and one digit and I helped call it in to their insurer to fix that and then mail a copy of the insurance card to the DMV.
Nope. It is crazy.

Pretty sure this falls under the laws of the state. I know IL requires uninsured/underinsured on all policies now. I have it on all my vehicles on top of the other coverage, my Camaros have just regular comp, the 94 Camaro also has special insurance for its a heavily modded car that I also race, and my truck has collision as well. IL is also a mandatory insurance state but there are so many people who don't have it they made the uninsured/underinsured mandatory about a decade or so ago.

If someone hits you here with no insurance, then your insurance company must cover the costs to repair/replace/medical/property damage. If someone hits you and they have limits too low to cover what it would cost to repair/replace/medical/property damage, then your insurance company must cover the rest. The uninsured/underinsured insurance covers for both these things.

I know the DMV here has gotten a lot more strict on making sure you have insurance when you renew your drivers license in the last 10 years because of the law change. Before that you didn't even need to show anything to renew other than your old license. Course they want 5 different documents now for the REAL ID as well, which its another thing in and of itself. I have a passport so I just told them give me the regular one last year.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, I'm sure IL has about the same rate. Up in Chicago its probably more like 75-80%.

The guy that hit my wife had NOTHING . No job , no license , no insurance , no assets . My insurance company said there was nothing for them to recover . AND he blew a .240 on the machine ...
Apparently he had enough money to buy booze .

Then you take their life and then enact the punishment on their next of kin.

The short answer is it covers you from the millions of drivers on the US roads who buy/steal cars and drive them w/o insurance. It basically raises your rates so losers who don't belong behind the wheel are covered by you should they have an accident with you. Liability insurance should be mandated Federally, so every state requires liability coverage. Flame away. Then people driving w/o insurance should spend some time in jail and have their cars impounded and sold at auction to fund the police, and lower rates if they're caught driving w/o insurance. Rant off. ;)

Then you take their life and then enact the punishment on their next of kin.
The ONLY upside to it was that he couldn't make Bond and had to sit in jail until his trial . The Judge gave him credit for time served and imposed a fine . This was his 3rd offense DWI . Sloppy drunk at lunchtime on a Wednesday . What does that tell you ?

Why no wage garnishment until you are paid whole? You could have taken them to small claims court.
OJ has a multi-million dollar judgement against him, and has had this judgement for decades and the plaintiffs have been in hot pursuit of this money from day one till today. Yet the plaintiff can't touch some if not all of OJ's assets. His six figure NFL annual pension is judgement proof/ protected. In some states real estate is also judgement proof/ protected.

One has to ask what their mission is when it comes to suing an individual with no monies. What is their end-state? One can spend millions of dollars and time in trying collect thousands....... is the juice worth the squeeze?

A drunk driver hit my friend's older CR-V almost 10 years back. He had no insurance. At least he didn't run... She got the max payout from her uninsured motorist policy, something like $3,500. The CR-V was worth much more than that.

A drunk driver hit my friend's older CR-V almost 10 years back. He had no insurance. At least he didn't run... She got the max payout from her uninsured motorist policy, something like $3,500. The CR-V was worth much more than that.
She chose not carry collision or comprehensive (if parked) which would cover it and assumed the risk.

Sucks of course .

Last edited:
Seems odd uninsured had max payout. Mine pays out whatever the damages are.

The issue referenced did not carry collision so they got max of uninsured coverage for property. If they carried collision then they would get their damages for vehicle.
Not how my policy works. That is interesting. I just went through this on truck. Collision had not to do with. All covered under uninsured motorist.

Not how my policy works. That is interesting. I just went through this on truck. Collision had not to do with. All covered under uninsured motorist.
It may differ state to state and options. Interesting to see if collision coverage on uninsured option exists in yours if you opted out of normal collision.

Back