Attention All With Onstar on their Cars

It's only a matter of time before this is in all new vehicles. And you won't be able to turn it off. Insurance companies are salivating at the opportunity.
Survival Lily on YouTube made a video about this a while ago. I'm adding this story to my long list of reason to remove the module that connects to the cell system on any new vehicle that I happen to buy (if I ever buy one).

It's only a matter of time before this is in all new vehicles. And you won't be able to turn it off. Insurance companies are salivating at the opportunity.
Fortunately, enterprising individuals are usually able to figure out how to disable these systems. It typically involves downloading the service manual and locating the modem responsible for transmission of this data.

Lexus has a similar program, but I don't believe they transmit the data to any insurance provider. I think it's just for in-house research. In order to bribe you into signing up, they offer 1 free year of remote start (through an app). Even after it expires, however, you need to log in to your online Lexus account and opt-out of a few more hoops because otherwise they'll be able to record your telemetry for as long as you own the vehicle.

Additionally, in the fine print (which I read), they can record your voice, even if you're not talking to their operators (Lexus Enform, equivalent to OnStar). Or in other words, the TOS means you agree to letting them record your in-cabin conversations with other passengers... I was screaming at the top of my lungs about this on the forums when I discovered it but I don't think many people caught on to what I was saying.

I just requested it thanks! When I had my Camaro I made sure to turn all that stuff off. I would frequently get <10 driving scores ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, maybe I did opt in at some point. I definitely opted in to Smart Driver at some point, but in the app it definitely doesnt mention insurance reporting. Perhaps the Onstar Insurance nonsense defaults on if you turn on Smart Driver. Either way, I just couldn’t believe every trip was there. Luckily I drive conservative as heck, always trying to save $$ on gas and go easy on equipment.

I wonder what the correlation is between people all bent out of shape about this and those using smartphones. :ROFLMAO:
I can just leave it at home, hard to do that with a vehicle with spy ware. Oh and my old phone I can truely turn it off because the battery can be removed. :love:

I wonder what the correlation is between people all bent out of shape about this and those using smartphones. :ROFLMAO:

I have 2 burner phones and absolutely none of my info is stored on them. I only use VPNs and don't have any banking apps, no social media crap or anything that can track my location.

Another thing I'm surprised the insurance companies, with all of their government lobbying power, have not had the DOT mandate to the automotive industry, is having every new car sold be equipped with a tamper proof dash cam installed.

And have it automatically upload in real time to a cloud, or some such that would not allow the owner to tamper with it's operation, or recording ability. They would have live recordings of not only accidents, but the speed and manor which the driver was operating said vehicle.
4th Amendment

Back