Attention All With Onstar on their Cars

I recently due to a ridiculous situation had to get something removed from my Lexis-Nexis CLUE file. This is the equivalent of a credit bureau for the insurance industry. I was successful in accomplishing this. After having the incident removed, Lexis-Nexis sent me my file. I was amazed to see details for every trip I’ve taken in my 2022 truck listed in the report. Max speed, time of day, hard braking, cornering, etc. etc. EVERY TRIP. To turn this reporting off by Onstar you must go ONLINE (not through app) to MyChevrolet ( Obviously if you dont have a chevy sub in whatever GM cars online account you have), login, click on the little face icon in the upper right, click on account, scroll to data and privacy, click on “onstar insurance’s driving program,” select the vehicle, then turn it off. This is where you unknowingly (by default) gave your permission to send all your data to Lexis-Nexis and all insurance companies.

Correction: It looks like you must also be enrolled on Onstars “Smart Driver” program for onstar to send the information over. Make sure you’re not enrolled in that either. Thats through the app I believe.

To access your lexis-nexis file go to https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/

Last edited:
So, that's something I'm not interested, and I went to check... it was NOT enabled on my account/vehicle. And I do not recall turning this off, so I don't think it's on by default? Regardless, I am curious and ordered my free Lexis Nexis report from your link.

1707100603984.jpg

That is shocking but also the new norm. Glad you were able to clean up your CLUE report. Maybe your insurance rates will decrease now?

Maybe your insurance rates will decrease now?
Doubtful. My homeowners has gone up almost 50% with no tickets, claims, or any payouts period on any of my policies and only a 10% increase in home value since 2019 (I live in the sticks). My car policies have likewise increased about 15% over the same time, on vehicles I’ve owned since pre-COVID.

And yes, I’ve company-shopped and Farm Bureau is still the cheapest. It’s sickening.

Another thing I'm surprised the insurance companies, with all of their government lobbying power, have not had the DOT mandate to the automotive industry, is having every new car sold be equipped with a tamper proof dash cam installed.

And have it automatically upload in real time to a cloud, or some such that would not allow the owner to tamper with it's operation, or recording ability. They would have live recordings of not only accidents, but the speed and manor which the driver was operating said vehicle.

Another thing I'm surprised the insurance companies, with all of their government lobbying power, have not had the DOT mandate to the automotive industry, is having every new car sold be equipped with a tamper proof dash cam installed.

And have it automatically upload in real time to a cloud, or some such that would not allow the owner to tamper with it's operation, or recording ability. They would have live recordings of not only accidents, but the speed and manor which the driver was operating said vehicle.
While I agree it would be a legal nightmare and privacy laws would apply, I'd imagine.

Back