Explain uninsured motorist coverage

With all the recent accident posts here, it got me wondering how uninsured motorist coverage works. If you don't carry comp and collision, and an uninsured driver hits you, you're out of luck for damages to your car. Right or wrong? What about hit and run? If someone does hit you, will your insurance company help go after the other driver and their insurance company if you don't carry comp and collision?

Insurance coverage terms vary state to state. Here's my story. Just about 2 years ago, I had a guy turn left in front of me on my motorcycle. He was stopped, then as I was about 6 feet away from him, he decided to go. I hit the right side of his car between the headlight and wheel. The police said he would be found "at Fault", for the accident. I contacted my insurance company, and his. It turned out my bike had a bit over 10k worth of damage. The guy I hit only carried 5k worth of property damage coverage. His company contacted me and said I would have to use the "uninsured /underinsured" rider on my policy to get reimbursed for my damage. My ins co didn't want to pay because the other guy was considered at fault. It took about 3 months of them going back and forth before I received a check for the bike, which was considered totaled due to its age and parts availability. Luckily, I only got a bloody nose out of the whole ordeal so no real physical injury. At this point I was happy to have this whole thing over with. Since then, My insurance rates were not affected, and it says on my policy in the history part that I was not held to be at fault for the accident. Some people have told me to sue the guy, but if he has nothing, that's all I would get. There's a formula ins company's use to determine fault, so everyone on the planet isn't held up in court arguing about who's fault their accident was. They study the accident report then assign blame. It moves claims along. BTW, this was my first accident in 50 years of riding / driving. The way I looked at it, after paying for ins coverage for 50 years, at least I'm getting a little bit of my money back. I learned alot from from that whole mess.,,

Last edited:
With all the recent accident posts here, it got me wondering how uninsured motorist coverage works. If you don't carry comp and collision, and an uninsured driver hits you, you're out of luck for damages to your car. Right or wrong? What about hit and run? If someone does hit you, will your insurance company help go after the other driver and their insurance company if you don't carry comp and collision?

If you don’t have comprehensive and collision and an uninsured driver hits you then you are on your own.

Virginia doesn't require people to have vehicle insurance (unless you have DUIs etc),
So the uninsured motorist coverage you carry on your insurance pays for the damages from an uninsured motorist(minus deductible)

In Texas, I was involved in a hit and run. Uninsured motorist covered me for a $200 deductible, repaired my car for $8500 in damages, and provided me 30 days of rental car while it was repaired $1050.

It's actually more beneficial to use uninsured motorist as it carries a lower deductible, and offers rental car coverage.

My wife was hit by an uninsured motorist as well, and the kid had no insurance on a newer mitsubishi.

It would depend on how much your vehicle is worth, and how much your lawyer is going to charge to take on the case. If the guy lives on disability, how much do you think you will get ?
I would not take lawyer to small claims court. Just go to get a judgement and see what you can get. No reason to not at least try.

Then what is uninsured motorist coverage for?

A couple of things I learned recently after filing an uninsured motorist claim. This may be different in your state as I live in Texas.

1. Uninsured motorist claims are preferrable over collision because they are centered on the premise that you were NOT at fault. If you are at fault, you are not able to file uninsured motorist. Some states even have laws preventing insurance companies from raising rates due to uninsured motorist claims.

2. Uninsured motorist claims carry a $250 deductible in Texas. Most collision deductibles are much higher (mine is $1,000).

3. Uninsured motorist is generally bundled with underinsured motorist as well. This is particularly handy if the at-fault party does not have sufficient coverage to repair your vehicle. For example, if the other party has a $25,000 policy and your vehicle is worth $30,000, you could be out of pocket the difference without this coverage.

Last edited:
Some people don't earn wages, they get a government check, and you can't garnish those.
Then try to get the deadbeats car, or any other asset, titled over to you so that you can sell it.

What is the penalty for uninsured motorist in Maryland?
A conviction on a first offense can carry 5 points on your license, a $1000 fine and up to one year in jail. If you're facing a second offense, a conviction carries an additional 5 points, two years in jail and a fine of $2000.

Last edited:
Why no wage garnishment until you are paid whole? You could have taken them to small claims court.

Because one cannot get blood out of a turnip.
Sure he can go to small claims court, and get a verdict,
Sure he can file a wage garnishment.
That cues the person being garnished to file for bankruptcy, to render all the legal gyrations moot.
Ask me how I know.

This is going to happen regardless. :)

With the number of uninsured drivers on the road, I'm not risking it.
When I was shopping for insurance one place came in about half of the other places, almost pulled the trigger but no uninsured asked them to add it since it seemed to be very cheap, they said I had to re-apply to get requoted as the quote was expired, came back $350 higher

Back