Ebola Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the tip of the iceberg. Until we get a handle on this in Africa there'll be a chance we get an outbreak here. People will load up on products like Tylenol to hide symptoms hop on a plane and come here hoping for a cure. Survival rate of Ebola in the USA is better than 50%, in Africa its less than 10%. So someone with the means to buy a plane ticket and Tylenol is fair game for bringing it here. I'm listening to them discuss this on business news. Time will tell if they're right or not.

I am not sure about the stats that you are quoting demarpaint.

All we have to go from is the WHO stats of ~50% mortality rate in Africa. Which taking into consideration the rudimentary hospitals they have over there is pretty good. The typical cases in Africa are being handled not with special drugs but basic hospital conditions albeit much less sterilized than over in North America, but it is better than no treatment at all in a village with no precautions. They quarantine, they treat as they are instructed by North American and other 1st world nation doctors instruct.

This contrasts vastly different in the treatment than the dozen or so reported people brought to USA having the Ebola virus. These special cases were undergoing treatment before they left Africa, many if not all having been given the 'experimental' drug. Of course the mortality rate will appear to be better if these stats are taken from these special ideal conditions.

Duncan from Texas is the first reported case NOT under these ideal conditions. This unfortunately is the reality and the typical conditions that future cases will be categorized under. If he dies, statistically speaking the mortality rate for typical USA cases will be 100%...as not everyone will have the ideal Ebola treatment conditions like the 'chosen' few, unless the floodgates for this 'experimental' drug are opened and the CDC actually does something in a huge way.

There are known medical conditions that affect one ethnic background people more than others. One element not being studied or being accounted for yet due to the localized concentration of Ebola cases in one region is: Does ethnic background affect the survival rates? We have stats of 50% mortality rates among the African peoples. Do we have stats on the caucasian patients? From what I have read, the doctors that have contracted Ebola while 'protected' many have died. So statistically speaking, the survival rate for Africans would be much higher than caucasians given the same conditions.

I know there are fanatics out there who want their 15 secs of fame etc. Usually they don't have the full picture. There are those that have a pretty good idea however and do things to make a statement like this micribiologist who is also an emergency doctor. His kind will be dealing with this more than anyone else. He is upset understandably at his potentially new workplace risks, I get that. He knows his stuff when it comes disease, so we can't discount everything he says: http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2014/10/05/nr-intv-dr-mobley-hazmat-suit-at-airport-ebola.cnn&hpt=hp_c3&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Last edited:
That's pretty interesting reading there Shannow. No wonder salt was iodized. Makes sense. Being effective at steralizing viruses internally in both the bloodstream and resperatory tracts lined with mucus could well shorten both flu and colds. I remember iodine tabs being used to disinfect water years ago.

I use iodine on any skin cuts before treating with a topical antiobiotic and have a quart of Idophor I use to steralize my kit before brewing beer.

Good article!

Just because you sneeze and infected droplets fly through the air does not mean it's an airborne disease. Also no virus in history that infects humans has ever mutated in a way that's its transference is changed. AIDS has infected MILLIONS of people since the early 1990s and has not mutated so that it is airborne. Sounds like more media word play of what actually was said.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/10/04/cdc-un-forced-admit-ebola-airborne/

If that link is correct and Ebola has gone airborne, we're all dead.

If Ebola ACTUALLY goes airborne, 50% of the worlds population dies within 3 months and another 40% of the worlds population dies within the next 2 years of famine and civil unrest. The prospects are truly terrifying. Thankfully, Ebola is not actually airborne at this time. Aerosol droplets from puking and sneezing can stay airborne for a bit, but that doesn't really constitute Ebola being airborne.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I am not sure about the stats that you are quoting demarpaint.

All we have to go from is the WHO stats of ~50% mortality rate in Africa. Which taking into consideration the rudimentary hospitals they have over there is pretty good. The typical cases in Africa are being handled not with special drugs but basic hospital conditions albeit much less sterilized than over in North America, but it is better than no treatment at all in a village with no precautions. They quarantine, they treat as they are instructed by North American and other 1st world nation doctors instruct.

This contrasts vastly different in the treatment than the dozen or so reported people brought to USA having the Ebola virus. These special cases were undergoing treatment before they left Africa, many if not all having been given the 'experimental' drug. Of course the mortality rate will appear to be better if these stats are taken from these special ideal conditions.

Duncan from Texas is the first reported case NOT under these ideal conditions. This unfortunately is the reality and the typical conditions that future cases will be categorized under. If he dies, statistically speaking the mortality rate for typical USA cases will be 100%...as not everyone will have the ideal Ebola treatment conditions like the 'chosen' few, unless the floodgates for this 'experimental' drug are opened and the CDC actually does something in a huge way.

There are known medical conditions that affect one ethnic background people more than others. One element not being studied or being accounted for yet due to the localized concentration of Ebola cases in one region is: Does ethnic background affect the survival rates? We have stats of 50% mortality rates among the African peoples. Do we have stats on the caucasian patients? From what I have read, the doctors that have contracted Ebola while 'protected' many have died. So statistically speaking, the survival rate for Africans would be much higher than caucasians given the same conditions.

I know there are fanatics out there who want their 15 secs of fame etc. Usually they don't have the full picture. There are those that have a pretty good idea however and do things to make a statement like this micribiologist who is also an emergency doctor. His kind will be dealing with this more than anyone else. He is upset understandably at his potentially new workplace risks, I get that. He knows his stuff when it comes disease, so we can't discount everything he says: http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2014/10/05/nr-intv-dr-mobley-hazmat-suit-at-airport-ebola.cnn&hpt=hp_c3&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

What I heard this morning on the news went like this: If a person is diagnosed with Ebola and is treated in the US that person has a better than 50% chance of surviving the disease. If a person is diagnosed with Ebola and is treated in Africa that person has about a 10% chance of surviving. This is why it is believed people would load up on meds to control the fever and hide the symptoms and try and get here for treatment. Fact or fiction I can't tell you, it is what I heard this morning, and it made sense, if the info presented was correct. Either way I also have reason to believe facts are being misrepresented.

It's amazing watching people freak out here in the US when only 2 people who aren't doctors came to the US infected with Ebola. Meanwhile, the garden variety flu virus kills over 50,000 people in the US and people won't even get flu shots for various reasons...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
1st case of contracting Ebola outside of Africa - Spain:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/06/health/ebola-us/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Even healthcare workers in 1st world countries can get infected.

I don't know why she was playing around in bodily fluids of a confirmed Ebola patient. Almost like it's much easier to get than what they say.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If Ebola ACTUALLY goes airborne, 50% of the worlds population dies within 3 months

No, that's not how it works...the 50% is how many people who have CONTRACTED it/diagnosed have died. Many Many more people have been exposed to it, and didn't contract it.

That's the bit that fuels the herd immunity myth...an immune system means that exposure isn't a guarantee of illness

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It's amazing watching people freak out here in the US when only 2 people who aren't doctors came to the US infected with Ebola. Meanwhile, the garden variety flu virus kills over 50,000 people in the US and people won't even get flu shots for various reasons...

I know. Makes no sense to me at all. Everyone that is sounding the alarm is just making things worse.

"I bet that if we put out an Ebola virus vaccine tomorrow, half of this country would take it, even though it hasn't killed anyone who hasn't traveled" to the affected countries. "Yet you can't get parents to give their children an HPV vaccine to prevent a virus that kills 4,000 U.S. citizens a year."

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/4/6905303/ebola-scared-quarantine

Many in the media have been flat out embarrassing. The fear-based coverage is pathetic, but it works because fear sells.

It should be interesting to see how many people the guy in Texas was exposed to actually contract Ebola. That might shed some light on the topic, that's if we're privileged to that information.

If I understand it correctly, his girlfriend's family were all exposed and are in quarantine in the same apartment.

Now what if he infected only one of them and that one has now infected the rest of the family?

The other thing that came out was that while they say they have emergency planning, there was no contractor who would sterilize the apartment out of fear. So they do not in fact have proper emergency planning because they never identified a resource willing to do the work in an emergency.

Again WHY haven't the government officials banned all travel from hot spots, and any person with a passport arriving from a hot spot should be immediately quarantined for at least 21 days?

IT DEFIES COMMON SENSE AND ALL SANE LOGIC....

It means that either, this entire situation is not as we are being told and the disease is not what we are being told, or it means that the officials are DELIBERATELY attempting to spread a deadly disease. They all deserve to be charged with dereliction of duty, and treason, and should be arrested for trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back