E30 BMW Brake Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we just talked in another thread that it is possible to over lube some pin designs and actually cause them to not slide properly (Trav mentioned this??). There should be some air gap on the end of the pin inside of pin housing for excess grease to move to. For lack of a better description, I think it is possible to get kind of a hydrolock condition (in this case, a grease lock). Maybe someone else will chime in.

With my last two rebuilt caliper installs from CarQuest, I was disappointed that the silver coating was very porous and they developed surface rust within days. This is not a performance problem, just aesthetic.

Nice to see U.S. made on the pads.

That heat transfer issue mentioned above is also claimed to be a problem with excess use of antiseize on spark plugs. But who knows what is fact or myth.

It looks like you cleaned things up really well, a true sign of an amateur......but a compliment to doing it right. Professional brake jobs rarely look that clean.

I was very pleased with the coatings on these fenco rebuilds.

We will see what happens with the slides. Mothers was a post that talked about burping air from the sliders, but if didn't know about overgreasing. They will get stuck if petroleum lubes are used and dry out, the silicone seems to be more resilient which is why I used it.

So far so good, we will see... I can always remove and clean when I take the winter tires off.

In fact, I'd imagine its a good idea in any car to pull the pins and relube every so often, no?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I was talking about the nasty corrosion around the drilled holes.

Regarding the cross drilled rotors, there was none when I pulled them off. They looked really good. But they got wet and bloomed some rust. hadnt seen that before with the rotors on the car, even if they sat a while and were corroded. I think it had to do with laying flat and having moisture and condensation on them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So far so good, we will see... I can always remove and clean when I take the winter tires off.

In fact, I'd imagine its a good idea in any car to pull the pins and relube every so often, no?

Oh yes, great idea! Every spring, when I'm pulling the snows+steelies from the Accord to put on the summers+alloys I pull apart each caliper, hose off the brake sliders and pad ears with brake cleaner, re-lube up the slide pins and never-seize the pad ears and re-assemble. Every couple years when I'm doing this I'll also flush out brake fluid.

Have always had good performing brakes and noticed that I can successfully use most if not the entire pad without excessive brake fade or poorly performing braking components. I really think it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back