Drain Oil or Change Filter First?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by blmqzjc:
I do the drain plug first, and let the oil drain to a trickle. I then finger tighten the drain plug, just to prevent drips.

Next, I move my collection pan over under the filter and remove it. Some more oil comes out of the filter hole, then I replace and tighten the filter. This whole process with the filter probably takes 5 minutes.

I find myself adapting a similar method these days. On my Caprice things were so much easier. I could slide under the car on a piece of cardboard unaided by ramps or jack+stands, and change the oil like that if I needed to. It was a one-shop-towel job as well.
wink.gif
Oh well. Either way, I have always changed the oil hot, right after I pull it in the driveway.

Disclaimer/Caution: Hot oil is hot. Don't go taking me to court for spilling hot oil on yourself. I'm not a major fast food chain, I don't have a million bucks to give you.
tongue.gif

quote:

Isn't there some engine out there that requires a specific sequence so that you don't loose the prime in the oil pump. ????

I remember reading about it once...

It appears to be recommended for some Rovers (and others Im sure). I think that the oil is changed and refilled before you change out the filter.

I read that on the main page in a post a good while back.

My mother's 1993 Saturn SL2 is a pain. The filter is in the back of the engine with a tight squeeze. I've tried many methods to try to catch the oil that spills out but nothing works. So, every oil change means an oily engine and mess.

fat biker - Anyway, with the pan off, I figured it was a good time to remove the filter. As I removed the filter, some amount of oil was released into "the pan". (pan off)

I had a similar experience years ago where after draining the oil I removed the filter and more oil started flowing again. Not a lot, maybe 5 or 6 ounces (enough to make a small mess). Since then it has been filter change first then drain the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back