Drain Oil or Change Filter First?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always changes the oil filter then drained the oil. I see many indicate they do it the other way around. Is there some advantage to draining the oil first?
dunno.gif

For first time oil changers, I always recommend to do the filter first, then the oil. This way, if they can't get the filter off, they can easily change plans (buy better wrench or drive to a friend or mechanic for help).

For seasoned folks that know to hand tighten the filter, I don't see why it matters. I swear some quick lube establishments torque a filter on like it's a lug nut!

I start draining first, then change the filter, then replace the drain plug, then add new M1. My reasoning is removing the filter during drain probably opens another air inlet to help old oil to drain from the pump assembly. Valid or not, I have no clue. I am just a creature of habit
wink.gif

Razl makes a good point. Its equivalent to the remove the fill plug prior to the drain plug when servicing trannies, ends, xcases.

I myself loosen the oil fill cap, remove the drainplug, swap filters, and reinstall the plug, for the same reason that JonnyZ mentions. It just might allow better drainback.

I remove the drain plug and start draining the oil first. While it's draining, I remove the filter and replace it. By the time I'm done with the filter, the oil from the drain hole is down to a trickle, so I can replace the plug and fill the engine with oil. This is the quickest way to change your oil.

All my cars have the filter on the front of the engine and the drain plug on the rear. If I removed the filter first, I'd probably get oil dripped on me while trying to remove the plug. So I always remove the plug first, then the filter. One method is not better than the other, it's just a matter of convenience.

Jonny Z I heard a similar theory, but my answer to it has always been...remove dipstick (1st "air hole"), remove filter (second "air hole"), remove drain plug (voila!)...don't know where I read it, been doing that for about 12 years...

Isn't there some engine out there that requires a specific sequence so that you don't loose the prime in the oil pump. ????

I remember reading about it once...

I do the drain plug first, and let the oil drain to a trickle. I then finger tighten the drain plug, just to prevent drips.

Next, I move my collection pan over under the filter and remove it. Some more oil comes out of the filter hole, then I replace and tighten the filter. This whole process with the filter probably takes 5 minutes.

Then, I move the collection pan back under the oil drain, and remove the plug once more. About another cup of oil will come out, since more oil drained into the oil pan while I was changing the filter.

Finally, I replace and tighten the drain plug, add oil to about 1/2 quart less than is called for, start engine and check for leaks at filter and drain plug. If all is well, I lower car to level and check/add oil to fill mark.

Let the car cool down for about 1/2 hour. Loosen the filter first enough such that air can start draining into an empty pan, then drop the filter. Puncture the filter to allow draining. Allow it to drain into a gallon container. Drain the oil pan. While oil is draining, prefill a new oil filter and install it. Inspect engine for stuff, belts, check clamps, fluid levels, signs of new leaks, battery water... Replace pan plug. Add oil. Startup and check plug and filter for leaks.

Puncturing the filter sounds like a good idea. My Supra is an "oil change car from ****". It's almost impossible to get to the filter and when you do you need to turn the filter sideways to get it out and then you and the lower suspension gets an oil bath.

I measure oil change difficulty by the number of paper towels I use. I can do most of them with one paper towel but the Supra takes almost a full roll and a shower afterwords.

I've only found one tool combination that even works at loosening the filter. (a 3/8" stubby ratchet and clamping type filter tool).

Does anyone else have an "oil change car from ****"?

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:
Let the car cool down for about 1/2 hour. Loosen the filter first enough such that air can start draining into an empty pan, then drop the filter. Puncture the filter to allow draining. Allow it to drain into a gallon container. Drain the oil pan. While oil is draining, prefill a new oil filter and install it. Inspect engine for stuff, belts, check clamps, fluid levels, signs of new leaks, battery water... Replace pan plug. Add oil. Startup and check plug and filter for leaks.

in my civic i..

loosen oil cap. drain the oil for 10 minutes or so. replace drain plug. replace oil filter. i probably could do the filter while the oil is draining out of the pan.. but since the drain plug on my civic is pretty much under my filter.. id rather just do it after, so i dont have to twist my body like a pretzel.

just one paper towel on an oil change? geez.. i must be a neat freak.. i use one towel just to clean off the drain plug.. then more towels to clean the drain plug mating surface.. then to clean the oil filter gasket mounting surface.. then the oil cap gasket mounting surface.. then the oil off my axle, exhaust pipe, and block since honda's oil filter locations are so great..

I always drop the oil first, while its draining I grease the car, check the tires, lube locks and hinges, and top off washer fluid, etc. Then I put the oil drain plug back, and change out the filter and refill. I figure by the time I do the other work, the oil has enough time to drain.

I also prefill the filter as much as I can w/fresh oil before installing it.

i never use paper towels i use rags.

but i am OCD on letting it drain. for me 4 hours is not long enough. i try to let it drain all day if i can. it just never seems to quit dripping. and i used to buy an extra quart just to pour through with the drian plug removed just to let gravity flush the pan.

Here's what I learned about my VW years ago.

I had the pan off my '75 Scirocco to change the rod bearings (don't ask, long story)

Anyway, with the pan off, I figured it was a good time to remove the filter. As I removed the filter, some amount of oil was released into "the pan". (pan off)

So, now I pull the plug, remove the filter and wait, usually about an hour.

IIRC, VW used to spec when to install the drain plug - when the oil dripped out no faster than one drip in twenty seconds - which takes about an hour.

So much for Quick Lube!

fat biker

I drain both at the same time. I drain the oil, then remove the filter and more oil comes out of the pan.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back