Does PP synthetic really clean engines out??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has a lot of calcium. I doubt it's going to clean an already dirty engine, but it will maintain a clean engine.

This has been discussed before.

It seems that PP claims to clean out sludged motors as does Mobil 1 HM. Then the ? comes up do they clean better than Auto-Rx? But if you use PP or Mobil 1 High Mileage you may never need to use Auto-Rx. Years ago I asked a similar question and a poster claim he used Delvac 1 and his engine is spotless and Auto-Rx did essentially nothing for him?

My leaning is Auto-Rx works faster. Lets just say when I used Auto-Rx on my 1985 Toyota 4x with a 22r that the oil darkened up [extremely dark] extremely quick.

The only way to tell for sure is to fund a 20,000 mile test using the different products on identically slugged up motors.

Honestly I guess I fall for the claims from Pennzoil and Mobil 1 that these oils may just clean the engine to some degree but not as fast as Auto-Rx. In fact THEY just may be more cost effective than Auto-Rx in the course of 50,000 miles.

Who knows for sure?
28.gif

I am using Pennzoil Platinum and I am extremely happy with it, and I have used Auto-Rx. But will any oil:

1) Clean rings on your pistons
2) Keep seals pliable

My Mom's 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo has gotten a steasy diet of Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil after it reached 3000 miles.

Don't know why but she wanted that oil and filter changed every 3000 miles. It developed a seal leak, she has the 3.1 V-6, it was either the crankshaft seal or some oil seal.

Anyway, I did Auto-Rx in there with dino oil and the slight leak stopped, it never really leaked on the ground, just was wet underneath the engine.

This might really be a question for Johnny, but if it were me I would say Pennzoil Platinum and a Maintenance Dose of Auto-Rx.

Quote:

Does a native really surface out of the blue water with goggles and say,

"We'll dazzle you with turquoise!" when you visit Jamaica?

(for those who recall the "Come back to Jamaica" ad campaigns of yesteryear "..what's old is what's new.." )

i would say any synthetic would do a fair job in cleaning or keeping a motor clean, or possibly clean up a gunked up motor some over time, nothing like auto-rx or rislone or soething like that, but it would do some cleaning

my buddys cavalier has 180k on it and 8300k on PP with no oil use...i think M1 and pennz keep engines clean

Try it and see. I remember when i did my first synthetic change at 9K on the Tacoma, i was surprised how dark the oil got after 500 miles.

Most of your good synthetics contain some esters and good detergency so it's not uncommon for them to clean out existing deposits/sludge. This goes for Amsoil/M1 or any other good synthetic.

My '00 MB E430 with 99k miles had M1 0W40 all its life with 11-13k OCI's according to FSS (Flexible Service System). I used PP 0W20 at 92k miles on Odometer, after less than 500 miles the oil was very dark and turned to black at 1k miles. The previous M1 0W40 was dark at 3-4k miles and black at around 6-7 k miles.

I changed it to Delo 15W40 after 4k miles of PP, the reason was we went to Vegas last summer and we had a heavy traffic at Death Valley at noon because of construction, the ambience temperature was more than 120F and it took us almost 2 hours to go less than 3 miles, the coolant temperature was creeping up to 98-100C while the normal was 82-85C when we passed Death Valley in previous summers.

It had been 2500 miles with Delo 15W40, the oil color is dark but not black, even Delo is supposed to be good cleaning oil but did not do as good job of cleaning as PP. One thing that hard to say is PP has good cleaning agents or because I used 2 weights down from recommendation of MBUSA. The thinner oil coupled with good cleaning agents do good cleaning job ?

Based on reading thru this thread I am thinking that Mobil 1 EP does a lot more cleaning than Mobil 1 does. I usually do 1 year OCI's on my E-150, and switched to Mobil 1 10W-30 EP from Mobil 1 10W-30 and noticed the oil a lot darker than its ever been.

I will be switching to PP 5W-30 next month and see what happens.

Frank D

Why don't you try PP 5W20 ? You'll see PP 5W20 gets darker much much sooner than M1 10W30 EP. It's getting cold in NY now, PP 5W20 would start your engine much easier in the cold morning.

Well, I have 137,000 miles on my truck and usually run PP in it.

I changed the oil this weekend with about 6,000 miles on it.

The PP came out quite clean, lightly brown, not dark at all!!

So yea, I believe it keeps my high mileage, heavily used truck's engine clean.

My first fill of PP was left in for 2000kms, it used half a quart in that short oci and came out uglier then anything I've seen come out of that engine before (new engine to boot). The second fill hasn't burned a drop in 3000kms, and the oil still looks golden brown when wiped on a white kleenex from the dipstick.

So PP did something in that first OCI that caused it to burn off half a quart and turn super ugly so quickly. So yeah, I tend to think it cleaned the snot out of that new engine
shocked2.gif

I'm currently using it in a new Jeep, I have about 3,000 miles on the oil and its clean, hasn't used a drop. But I did drop the factory fill at 500 miles. I swapped that with yellow bottle, ran that for 1500 miles, then changed to PP and an A-Rx maint dose. Maybe the early two OC's got any break-in junk out?

Frank D

Between the additives and if you stay within a range that doesn't use up all the additives and then allows redeposit of contaminants, it would clean.

The contaminants need to stay in suspension.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm currently using it in a new Jeep, I have about 3,000 miles on the oil and its clean, hasn't used a drop. But I did drop the factory fill at 500 miles. I swapped that with yellow bottle, ran that for 1500 miles, then changed to PP and an A-Rx maint dose. Maybe the early two OC's got any break-in junk out?

Frank D

basically same thing i did, oil change early, like 300 miles, then at 1600 miles then started my regular oci's, with auto-rx maintenance dose.

some people say it is a waste or the maintenance dose is not needed so early into a new motors life but I feel it cant hurt and it is my $ so...

Maybe it would be a good idea to alternate oils. I like PP a lot. If the PP does not get the last bit of dirt out Maxlife might. I was going to put Maxlife in my 2.7 Intrepid this weekend. Maybe I'll alternate to PP and then back to Maxlife in 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

Does a native really surface out of the blue water with goggles and say,

"We'll dazzle you with turquoise!" when you visit Jamaica?

(for those who recall the "Come back to Jamaica" ad campaigns of yesteryear "..what's old is what's new.." )

When you actually go to Jamaica, you spend most of your time running away from these natives. Really. I was there for about 6 hrs and spent about $300 on nothing but pure c.rap just to get them out of my face.

But back to the Pennzoil Platinum, no one on here has shown any real documentary proof of ANY oil ever being much of a cleaner. I certainly haven't experienced it myself using either PP or Redline. I second the earlier comment that using PP will no doubt KEEP your engine cleaner than many oils. But for cleaning it up.....nah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back