Do you feel it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After you change your oil do you feel your engine runs any different?

There are people that claim there is increased engine perormance after an oil change. I personally find it hard to tell if the engine is running any different afterwards.

On the older carb'd, non-ECU engines, yes. The PCV was not sucking in very grungy old gas/oil fumes after fresh oil change. Proven to me by old school wrench, he had the first tail pipe sniffer/SUN Tune up machine complete with print out!

Last edited:
I haven't really ever been able to notice, even switching brands and weights. I think it's a little of a placebo effect but what do I know?

No but my brain feels relaxed knowing there's fresh oil in the crankcase
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
After you change your oil do you feel your engine runs any different?

There are people that claim there is increased engine perormance after an oil change. I personally find it hard to tell if the engine is running any different afterwards.

I agree. I do 10K OCIs and never feel or hear a difference.

some engines just don't care.
i recently replaced oil and these spark plugs (OEM with 135000 miles, the bottom one is brand new replacement) and NO difference whatsoever.

IMG_20141227_120350_zps598a5c42.jpg

I think it does run smoother for the first couple startups, and I don't think it's a placebo.

I think it's the brand new oil entering service for the first time.

After a couple use cycles then it's back to "normal".

Not on anything that is in good running condition. What I mean by that is that the engine isn't leaking/burning oil and its been kept at the correct fill level.

My girlfriend's accord ran like [censored] for the longest time and she would never let me take a look at it. One day she finally said "Ok, its lacking power and hasn't been getting good gas mileage" and let me pop the hood. Lo and behold the dipstick is dry and took 3 quarts to bring it up to the midline between the low and full dots. Its a wonder the [censored] car is still running.

It's never happened to me.

It seems like the oil would have to have significantly thickened or thinned in order for there to be a perceptible difference just from an oil change. Or the engine oil was significantly over filled or under filled before the change.

Besides the smile I get.....nothing
cry.gif

I do have a GR8 feeling afterward and in my wacked out noodle I like to visualize the new oil flowing ever soooo smoothly.

Switching from a 5W30 GF5 (Magnatec Economy) to an A3/B4 5W40 (Magnatec SP) in the last oil change on my Caprice feels noticealy different...but it's also old oil versus new, so ???

Have only done two temperature measurements (type K down the dipstick), but those two readings are about 5C down on my typical 5W30 readings on my commute.

Yeah, I basically never change spark plugs anymore. I will inspect them once around 100k miles and if they look good I just clean and re-gap. I remember my uncle who was a pretty smart guy telling me in the 1980's that replacing my plugs was a waste of time. I think he was right but before his time.

I think it only makes a difference when you change out the factory fill. If your vehicle is in good operating condition I believe it's a wash. If you have a hooptie that's low on oil or has a lack of maintenance, then I could see it having an effect IMHO.

No, but OCs and other elective DIY maintenance tasks always make me feel better.

I could almost swear that a sharp detail makes 'em run better though!
smile.gif

The KZ900 doesn't necessarily run better, but it definately does SHIFT better. Much less effort. This has been true of every Japanese motorcycle I've owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back