Do brands of oil filters impact oil flow/pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if using any given brand of oil filter instead of the OEM filter can negatively impact oil flow or pressure? I notice that there is a lot of variation in filter media surface area from brand to brand on filters that are specified for use on the same vehicle. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

There has been endless discussion on this very topic. There were several informal oil filter flow studies done by members in the past. Yes, some filters and media show a little more resistance to flow than others. There are some aftermarket filters and media that either flow or filter better than OEM. The one that I believe is designed to do both well is the EaO series from Amsoil. This filter is made for them by Wix and incorporates some upgraded features like the synthetic nanofiber technology from the Donaldson Synteq line. The drawback for some people is the higher price, like $14 and up. I would think that these filters are better suited to folks who want to extend their OCI's, using a high quality synthetic oil.

Filter media surface area can be misleading, and does not give an accurate idea of which will flow or filter better in use. This is due to the inability to visually determine the quality of the media by just looking at it. The synthetic blended medias usually flow and filter better than straight cellulose media. And the full synthetic medias, like in the Donaldson and Amsoil are even better at both flow and filtration, especially at maintaining that flow and filtration throughout the OCI.

Best to use the recommended filter for your engine and get some input from others with the same engine. Then while a particular filter is on your engine, listen to it carefully when started cold for noise. Some filters will actually allow your engine to run quieter with a cold engine. These probably flow better.

Lastly, try a search here on the oil filter forum and see what you get. There's been lots of good discussion. Use oil analysis if you like. Get Terry's input for your ride.

Thanks for your reply. A few days ago I ordered the Amsoil EAO13 filter for my wife's 2006 Pilot. I am an Amsoil PC, so my cost was a few dollars less than retail. I have always used the Honda OEM filter and Mobil 1 5W-20 since the first oil change on this SUV. I am not impressed by the quality of the Honda OEM oil filter made by Honeywell (AKA Fram) and decided to try the Amsoil filter accordingly. I will also be using the Amsoil 0W-20 25K/1 year synthetic during the next oil change as well. I figured that it is hard to go wrong with this combination. Thanks again for your help!

Fram filters restric flow horribly. I've almost lost all oil pressure using fram filters. I'm not the only one that has found this out the hard way, however. Some have good results, but others have HORRID results from Fram. My jeep gets 20 psi hot idle and 50 psi hwy hot. 60 psi cold hwy and 50 psi cold idle with napa/wix, purolator. I get 40 psi cold hwy and 20 psi hot hwy with almost nothing at idle.

Take ur pic!

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't BITOG (THE Bob) not find that the Fram was one of the better flowing filters?

Alex.

you could be right but I have seen countless fram filters and to this day they have the smallest feed holes on the market, why?
dunno.gif
smaller holes will raise the pressure and reduce flow in the engine period.
after looking at many brands of oil filters I tend to choose ones that have large oil feed holes.
after all I always have to relieve factory oil passages in engines that I build so I can increase the volume of oil to the engine at all RPM, so naturally I will pick a filter that will flow oil through it much easier to keep the engine alive.
coffeetime.gif

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't BITOG (THE Bob) not find that the Fram was one of the better flowing filters?

Alex.

If you look at some of the gauge readings that Bob got with his 30 weight 70F fluid, you'll note that they're in excess of any bypass valve setting. He adjusted upstream pressure and then read the downstream pressure drop. The pump had to be in relief to have the engine have that total inability to process the oil pump output.

If, OTOH, he had adjusted downstream pressures to ONE stable pressure (assuring that the flow to the engine was the same for each filter) and then compared the upstream readings, it would have had much more validity.

Quote:

There has been endless discussion on this very topic. There were several informal oil filter flow studies done by members in the past. Yes, some filters and media show a little more resistance to flow than others. There are some aftermarket filters and media that either flow or filter better than OEM. The one that I believe is designed to do both well is the EaO series from Amsoil. This filter is made for them by Wix and incorporates some upgraded features like the synthetic nanofiber technology from the Donaldson Synteq line. The drawback for some people is the higher price, like $14 and up. I would think that these filters are better suited to folks who want to extend their OCI's, using a high quality synthetic oil.

Filter media surface area can be misleading, and does not give an accurate idea of which will flow or filter better in use. This is due to the inability to visually determine the quality of the media by just looking at it. The synthetic blended medias usually flow and filter better than straight cellulose media. And the full synthetic medias, like in the Donaldson and Amsoil are even better at both flow and filtration, especially at maintaining that flow and filtration throughout the OCI.

Best to use the recommended filter for your engine and get some input from others with the same engine. Then while a particular filter is on your engine, listen to it carefully when started cold for noise. Some filters will actually allow your engine to run quieter with a cold engine. These probably flow better.

Lastly, try a search here on the oil filter forum and see what you get. There's been lots of good discussion. Use oil analysis if you like. Get Terry's input for your ride.

What if you use a different filter *and* a different oil and your car now feels heavier, like it gained 5 pounds overall. Where do you pin the blame.. a different filter changing the oil pressure by being more restrictive or the thicker oil that you switched to? Now, you don't know if the issue is a filter that is 'a little more resistance to flow than others' or if it an oil like in this case PP,which is a tad bit thicker oil being a full synthetic?

Take the case my car. I used PP and a stock Japan-made Toyo Roki filter whereas immediately prior to this I used a regular stock Fram filter with probably more cardboard construction. Apparently, the Japanese filter uses more metal pieces then cardboard and is just more sturdier with unique 'intestine' shaped media. Now what if prior to using this combo, you used the regular stock filter and a thinner synthetic blend? Now what causes the issue there? the better filter which is 'how a little more resistance to flow than others' or the thicker oil which in this case is PP?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back