Do any of you have neighboors that.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until recently, car washing was technically prohibited here due to water restrictions in the village we live in. I highly doubt anyone ever heard a complaint about it though.

Although we live close to neighbors the bulk of interactions is typical waves, maybe a chat about what to do about trees in between properties, stuff like that. Worst "problem" we have is a neighbors dog wandering onto our property.

Only when I'm doing my semi-annual polish during pollen season.

I wash my car monthly. Summers are pointless with PM T-storms but you'll still see people lined up at the cat wash with dark clouds in the sky.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Only when I'm doing my semi-annual polish during pollen season.

I wash my car monthly. Summers are pointless with PM T-storms but you'll still see people lined up at the cat wash with dark clouds in the sky.

Same here in FL. I still like to wash off that rain on a weekly basis and lay down a coat of spray wax. It will at least provide some protection.

Originally Posted By: PSS
Sounds like you are living a charmed life if that makes your list of annoyances.

No not hardly.

From my viewpoint the neighbor just has poor social skills. Pretty common.
I'm not a very sociable person myself and find almost any comments from neighbors (unless a simple greeting) rather annoying. My home life is private and my time in the yard or driveway MY time to spend as I wish....not responding to repetitive comments.
What I would do with this guy is just ignore him completely every single time he comes outside. When he makes comments, don't even look at him.
Maybe then he'll grasp the idea that what he is saying isn't worth responding to...and he'll cease bugging you.

The OP must be washing his car a lot. Growing up, I had a neighbor who cut his grass twice a week it seemed. My dad called him a "grass lover" for twenty years. Lol

Last edited:
I wash my car only on great occasions and yes, since I painted it flat black, it sometimes does wash the paint off, (another 99 cent can of spray paint makes it look like new again).

When I lived in Alabama, I had a neighbor who would go through my mail every day. I told him to stop but he continued. I finally solved the problem by attaching an old florescent light ballast to the mail post and ran the wires in the ground. I told him that it was connected to the post office and recorded anyone who opened my mail box and that going through someone's mail was federal a offense. He never bothered my mail again.

Some neighborhoods discourage washing cars in the driveway because some people say it makes the neighborhood look cheaper. That goes double for any DIY-er that doesn't do ever car repair completely in the garage.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

When I lived in Alabama, I had a neighbor who would go through my mail every day. I told him to stop but he continued. I finally solved the problem by attaching an old florescent light ballast to the mail post and ran the wires in the ground. I told him that it was connected to the post office and recorded anyone who opened my mail box and that going through someone's mail was federal a offense. He never bothered my mail again.

Now that would really bother me. I probably would have called the cops and asked them to have a talk with him. Then again, in AL the cops might not show unless the neighbor is running a crackhouse of out your mailbox. Did you ever ask him what he was digging for?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Mine would always ask "Do mine next?" - not really annoying.

I usually get the above comment when WAXING the car with 845, from any number of elderly ladies walking by, who are usually Avalon/Camry owners/drivers.

I don't have the heart to tell them I do NOT work on, or polish any Nippon nameplated rides.
lol.gif

Nah my neighbors are friendly and invariably considerate. They’re typically like that 'round here.

Some people, however, are “MINDNUMBINGLY ANNOYING.” I just try not to be one of them.
smile.gif

Last edited:
High fences or my case trees make good neighbors. The winter of course that comes all down with the leaves.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
That always make smart comments to you when you wash your car?
Any of you have neighbors like this?

Sure...got a voice mail from a snowbird neighbor calling from up north asking if I'd wiped my windows that day...of course I had, as I do most every AM before the sun hits them...I hate a dirty window, even water spots on them (that often collect dirt from dust and fire soot blowing in the air) especially when the sun glares through them...and more so since the rear window has fine scratches (from previous owner) that flare that glare even worse...

...but he was being funny in a kindly/neighborly way...since he and others know I watch out for THEIR car as well as mine...one engine clattered in the A.M. and a quick shout out to him discovered he was low on oil...and others had tail lights out and tires with extremely low air...

...and another neighbor just the other day gave me 2 packages of Sham Wows, thinking that it's great for wiping down cars...NOT...I'll use them around the house, and for the wheels, but NOT for the car, even though it's already filled with 10 years of micro-scratches...still it was a nice gesture...

Last edited:
Here in Phoenix it's not an issue, nobody blinks an eye if you're worki on your car or washing it. Unless you live in an HOA, there isn't even an issue even if a car is up on jack stands forever. And I mean in neighborhoods all over the city. Yes when washing cars the neighbors laugh and suggest you wash theirs but I can believe it when people say it's illegal to wash their car. I've replaced radiators in the streets and changed oil pan gaskets. Sure does get messy.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
That always make smart comments to you when you wash your car? I have one that always pops out and says, "your gonna wash the paint off that thing". MINDNUMBINGLY ANNOYING!!! And he does it every time. I just started washing my car a moment ago, and sure enough he drove up. I fled the scene this time to avoid the award and annoying conversation, and took the time to post this. Any of you have neighboors like this?

I heard that often from a neighbor where I used to live before moving away out to the country...he always said I was gonna wash the paint off the car. His cars were always filthy and I once replied to him "well don't wash your car ever because the dirt is so embedded it WILL take your paint off with it". Never another comment from him since, lol.

Last edited:
My neighbors always look at me like I am a Martian when I work on my cars. There is only one other guy who works on his. We have gotten to be pretty good friends over the years. The rest of the people never open the hood.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
His cars were always filthy and I once replied to him "well don't wash your car ever because the dirt is so embedded it WILL take your paint off with it". Never another comment from him since, lol.

Haha! Or I would've said,"Don't wash your car,the dirt is probably the only thing that's holding that POS together!!"

Although not directly related occasionally I house sit for my folks when they go on trips or vacation. Well every stinking time I come over and wash my car or work on it this one older guy decides to come over and chat whether I like it or not, he comes over and bothers me. Usually he doesn't even have the decency to say hello.. brings up politics, (we don't see eye to eye at all!) and other inane things...this time he comes over and makes the weird comment, "Well I see your folks are using up your inheritance going on a trip again huh?"...This time I wasn't going to be subject to his annoying presence and I didn't say ONE word to him, (total silence) he realizes what a
douche bag comment it was and tries to change the subject by asking how old my car is? I cut him off and tell him I am not interested in talking to him.. have a nice day....guy didn't even have the class to excuse himself for bothering me and just quietly hightails it back to the other side of the street where his house is...hopefully I won't hear from him again....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Mine would always ask "Do mine next?" - not really annoying.

I usually get the above comment when WAXING the car with 845, from any number of elderly ladies walking by, who are usually Avalon/Camry owners/drivers.

I don't have the heart to tell them I do NOT work on, or polish any Nippon nameplated rides.
lol.gif

Interesting, considering both those models are made in the USA. As are various Hondas, Nissans, Subarus, and, to the surprise of many, especially owners of, BMW, MERCEDES.

And, how about "domestic" brands made in Mexico.' or CANADA, do you "work" on those...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back