Do we have any pharmacists here? Why does it take so long?

Even $130K, which is roughly the median in Virginia, is a great salary for most of Virginia. I suspect the salary is higher in those places where it isn't, mostly closer to DC.

How much do pharmacists make?​

Nationally the median salary for a pharmacist in 2020 was $128,710. In the state of Virginia, pharmacists made between $120,000 and $130,000. In addition to a great salary, 70% received health insurance and 70% also had access to a retirement plan.

Yeah… My pharmacist friend from the hospital wasn’t “ hurting” if she lived in Governor’s Land…

I met a retired pharmacist who was extremely fun to talk to.. . She lives in a , very nice older high end neighborhood just 2 miles from me.

I have always been interested in the behind the scenes stuff that takes place to better understand what really goes on filling a prescription. Friend had wisdom teeth pulled and opted to not get the meds called in ahead of time. So after the procedure they drove and had to wait over an hour at the pharmacy in extreme pain, while they seemingly were not at all busy, nor were there any customers aside from a few drive thru pickups.

The delay was not the online order. They received the online prescription and just sat on it intentionally.

Was curious if we have any pharmacists that can shed light on the process.
You said they didn’t want it called in. Then you said it was online.

Which was it?

So what is wrong with their working conditions? Exposure to the public?
My experience is they are customer facing but don’t like customers. One time since the lady said nothing and was about to give me a shot, I said can you please state what it is you’re administering. And she was all sigh huff all mad. Another time a young guy said we don’t need any confirmation I said please print it out. My wife tends to go with the flow so she was good having nothing—no email, no printout, etc, of what the pharmacist injected into her. But me I asked for a printout. Actually I want to know who he is, and his lic#. They have no supervision but I think some need it. My .02 ymmv

Remember those kids that got Covid shots instead of flu? Well Kelce says both

Sort of two parts to unpack there. Is paying for school for something where you may have to pay more for the education and end up making less worth it? IMHO depends, not everyone wants to be in or is fit for a specific profession.

Part two is what’s fair for the work, effort of the job, etc. topping out at $200k I’d imagine would be great for many in the country.
What I learned when I lived in multiple places in and out of US, is "what's fair" means nothing but rather what the market will pay is what matters.

You can have a physicist phd making less money than a high school drop out went into sales, and call that not fair all you want, but the reality is, nobody but the parents demand someone to go to a certain school for a certain career, then carry a student loan to pay off. I don't think pharmacist is a good return for investment job in many part of the nation, so people should decide where they want to go, what they want to live for, before deciding their career. Maybe it is fine if you don't need the money or have a huge student loan, maybe it will bankrupt you living in a very expensive place and people won't pay more for your local living expense, I don't know. I only know that it is a lot of investment for not the best return. I know it is not the worst choice but they aren't making "great money" in my area here.

What I learned when I lived in multiple places in and out of US, is "what's fair" means nothing but rather what the market will pay is what matters.

You can have a physicist phd making less money than a high school drop out went into sales, and call that not fair all you want, but the reality is, nobody but the parents demand someone to go to a certain school for a certain career, then carry a student loan to pay off. I don't think pharmacist is a good return for investment job in many part of the nation, so people should decide where they want to go, what they want to live for, before deciding their career. Maybe it is fine if you don't need the money or have a huge student loan, maybe it will bankrupt you living in a very expensive place and people won't pay more for your local living expense, I don't know. I only know that it is a lot of investment for not the best return. I know it is not the worst choice but they aren't making "great money" in my area here.
I think that is spot on.

My experience is they are customer facing but don’t like customers. One time since the lady said nothing and was about to give me a shot, I said can you please state what it is you’re administering. And she was all sigh huff all mad. Another time a young guy said we don’t need any confirmation I said please print it out. My wife tends to go with the flow so she was good having nothing—no email, no printout, etc, of what the pharmacist injected into her. But me I asked for a printout. Actually I want to know who he is, and his lic#. They have no supervision but I think some need it. My .02 ymmv

Remember those kids that got Covid shots instead of flu? Well Kelce says both
I think most "professionals" I know, whether they are bankers, pharmacists, marketing, etc, would prefer dealing with other "professionals" as they have higher impact for the same hour of work, and the people they work with are more "professional" to deal with, instead of dealing with the typical retail customers' behaviors (nobody loves Karen is probably the right way to say it).

Last edited:
Not a pharmacist but I've been a pharmacy customer for over 40 years.

Our KP pharmacy is a 0.9 miles away; a 3 minute drive (one stoplight) or a 20 minute walk.

Order on-line and they will notify you via text, email or the website when ready for pick-up. Usually a 1-2 day process. Unless there's a back order. Mail delivery is an option; 1-2 days in-transit.

Opioids are a different matter. If your refill was 28 tablets and you order earlier than the 28th dose, they will cancel the order - without notice. Every refill requires your physician to approve the order. The 24-hour pharmacy is 27 miles away in case your 28th day falls on the weekend (rare). I understand that opioid abuse (OD and illicit sales) is rampant, so by default we're all considered potential abusers or criminals.

Anywhere there's a line (physical or electronic), the quicker you get in the queue the better. Especially at the neighborhood pharmacy or Costco.

IMO, when your healthcare professional recommends pain killers, heed that advice and get them. You can have them at hand should you decide you need them later. Cost? I would think for a tooth extraction the Rx is going to for less than a handful of tablets.

I understand that opioid abuse (OD and illicit sales) is rampant, so by default we're all considered potential abusers or criminals.

It's because it's a Schedule II controlled substance, been that way for decades, prior to the "opioid crisis" even:

Schedule II/IIN Controlled Substances (2/2N)​

Substances in this schedule have a high potential for abuse which may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.
Examples of Schedule II narcotics include: hydromorphone (Dilaudid®), methadone (Dolophine®), meperidine (Demerol®), oxycodone (OxyContin®, Percocet®), and fentanyl (Sublimaze®, Duragesic®). Other Schedule II narcotics include: morphine, opium, codeine, and hydrocodone.
Examples of Schedule IIN stimulants include: amphetamine (Dexedrine®, Adderall®), methamphetamine (Desoxyn®), and methylphenidate (Ritalin®).
Other Schedule II substances include: amobarbital, glutethimide, and pentobarbital.

You can have them at hand should you decide you need them later.

If you don't? Then you have to dispose of them so they aren't diverted/abused.

Hospital pharmacist is much better than retail.
It is, but as @PimTac correctly pointed out - it is a very different type of work and the number of available hospital positions is also miniscule compared to retail chains.
..So what is wrong with their working conditions? Exposure to the public?
Take a browse on the r/pharmacy sub and you'll read about the issues. I have a few contacts in this field and they're all in agreement - hours, very poor staffing practices and the market is just plain saturated.
Most of them also don't live in places where $1.5 million buys you a tear-down.
Fair, but does paying ~$300k in tuition (on top of undergrad) to earn $40-$70/hr make any sense?

What’s a reasonable salary for the work? (maybe everywhere outside of CA :))
Oh the humanity!!!
How on earth can anyone expect to feed themselves on such a pittance!
:eek:
That’s not really accurate…

If you have a pharmacist making $200,000 dollars in Gloucester county where I grew up…

Trust me… They are living either a) on the water with a very nice end high custom built home or b) In the nicest neighborhood in that county with custom built homes in it.

I can guarantee that. 100 percent.

I worked with a pharmacist at the hospital from Newport News… She was very nice and… she lives in Governor’s Land… The best and biggest money neighborhood in James City county.

200,000 is a quite a lot more money in Gloucester County or Mathews County which are both rural compared to Riverside County in California or Orange County in California.
The national company that I work for....has a 12% salary differential between super-low cost of living areas (e.g. Dakotas) and high cost of living areas. Our salary structures are very well validated by both internal and external industry sources. So, the arguments about CA (and major metropolitan areas) being on their own planet (from a COL standpoint) is not exactly accurate, IMO.

Also, at the $200K income level for an individual, your take-home (with typical 401K and medical deductions), is probably around $10K/mo. A decent bit of money, but not exactly upper middle class anymore.

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, pharmacists are decently compensated, but their current market salaries do not make sense for the required educational investment. Spending $200-$300K to earn $40-$70/hr doesn't really add up. PT's are a similar situation. There's a reason why many smart folks interested in healthcare are flocking to the RN, PA, NP and RT pathways.

I am not a pharmacist, but have worked closely with them for years. There are not near enough pharmacists to meet the demand for pharmacists in the retail setting. Not all pharmacists work in retail, as they are employed as consultant pharmacists in hospitals, in infusion suites, in compounding, in professional education and industry. They are in demand and they tend to have a lot of work to do in their time behind the counter. The job is not putting pills in a bottle, as there are pharmacy techs and others who can do that, and there is automation. The bottleneck is that each prescription must be checked with the patient's other prescriptions, the dosage must be checked and quiet often the actual prescription must be confirmed or questioned. Why? to maintain patient safety. Pharmacists are highly trained and on pharmacology can typically wipe the floor with all other providers. Now it's a fact that your pharmacy might be too busy, but there is a lot going on here, and plenty of public misconceptions.
Might want to poke around the r/pharmacy sub a bit. This thread is an example:

I have numerous friends who recently entered the field and their comments match those. The field has simply become saturated in recent years and it is very difficult to find employment now.

The national company that I work for....has a 12% salary differential between super-low cost of living areas (e.g. Dakotas) and high cost of living areas. Our salary structures are very well validated by both internal and external industry sources. So, the arguments about CA (and major metropolitan areas) being on their own planet (from a COL standpoint) is not exactly accurate, IMO.

Look at what the FedGov does for salary differentials:

Poking around, I see a (EDIT: 27.65%) difference between the highest cost of living (EDIT: San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA) and the lowest (the rest of the country which doesn't have a schedule listed on that page for it).

EDIT: Locality Payment of 44.15% for San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA

EDIT: Locality Payment of 16.5% for "Rest of USA" which is "not located in another locality pay area"

Last edited:
Fair, but does paying ~$300k in tuition (on top of undergrad) to earn $40-$70/hr make any sense?

It also should be known that the PharmD degree that most if not all states require now adds a one year residency to the process. The residents work long days for that year and there are requirements like getting published in a journal or participating in some research or other activities.

Hospital pharmacist is much better than retail.

Yep. My brother is a pharmacist in the neuro ICU at a large hospital. He worked at Walgreens in college and knew that wasn’t the path he wanted to take. He gets regular hours and interacts with doctors and patients now. He probably should’ve gone to med school instead but likes the hospital life much better than retail pharmacy.

Reactions: GON
Here's what Nerdwallet has to say about the cost of living difference between Richmond, VA and San Francisco, CA. Note that I put the salary of $130,000 in there because that's the median salary of a pharmacist in Virginia:

1695870730156.jpg

It's because it's a Schedule II controlled substance, been that way for decades, prior to the "opioid crisis" even:

If you don't? Then you have to dispose of them so they aren't diverted/abused.

I never have any issues getting my meds, one of which is "schedule 2". Kaiser makes it really frustration-free. Do it all through their app and pickup takes 5 minutes.

I read horror stories online and hear from friends how frustrating of an experience they have at their pharmacies for literally any prescription let alone a controlled substance. So, having Kaiser insurance is important to me. I will specifically inquire about that on any job I get. No Kaiser option, no job offer acceptance.

I read horror stories online and hear from friends how frustrating of an experience they have at their pharmacies for literally any prescription let alone a controlled substance. So, having Kaiser insurance is important to me. I will specifically inquire about that on any job I get. No Kaiser option, no job offer acceptance.

The only companies that seem to have an option of Kaiser around here are small ones. There probably isn't a small company around that'll pay me what the three-letter Fortune 500 company I work for does.

The only companies that seem to have an option of Kaiser around here are small ones. There probably isn't a small company around that'll pay me what the three-letter Fortune 500 company I work for does.
Interesting. I work for an auto parts chain with like 6000 stores and they offer it. Last year I interviewed at Staples. Didn't end up with the job, it wasn't a good fit, but they did offer Kaiser too.

Pharmacists are dealing with situations where they have too much work going on and it is a first in first out type of system. You also have to keep in mind that some of the medications they are filling can have serious or even fatal consequences if they make a mistake. Then add on top of that that they have narcotics behind those counters that every once in awhile some strung out lunatic comes in and points a gun at them and demands those narcotics.

----------------

I do have a way to speed up pharmacies, you go to a grab bag system, LOL.

Interesting. I work for an auto parts chain with like 6000 stores and they offer it. Last year I interviewed at Staples. Didn't end up with the job, it wasn't a good fit, but they did offer Kaiser too.

Anthem, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Aetna seem to be the most common for large companies here.

Back