Discontinued coolant hose keeps leaking - options?

Application: My dad’s 92 Toyota Previa, non-supercharged.

There is a coolant hose that connects to the water pump housing and the factory used this exact clamp to secure it:

IMG_3375.jpeg

The hose was removed and reinstalled due to a water pump replacement. The hose was in reasonably good condition (for a 31 year old hose) so it was reused. I tried to reinstall the clamp in the same position but was not 100% successful.

The vehicle idled for an hour for system bleeding and the hose did not exhibit any leakage. However, after the system cooled down, a major leak occurs. By major, I mean 2-3 quarts of leakage in an 8 hour period. I tried tightening the clamp and/or repositioning it, but experienced the same outcome - no leaks when the engine is running (or warmed up), but a major leak once the system fully cools down.

At the recommendation of a few folks, I smeared some Hylomar on the connection and used a Gates PowerGrip SB clamp.

IMG_3374.jpeg

I have not refilled the system yet, but I am not very confident that this will resolve the issue.

This particular hose is unique - it has a lot of curvatures and is over 2 ft long. Toyota has discontinued it.

Hose ID is 11/16” and the OD (when installed onto the fitting) is about 26mm.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
sometimes you can buy normal heater hose and route it so it's not kinked. this doesn't work well in tight spaces or tight turns in the house

You can make a new hose (tubing and silicone elbows). The old hose probably doesn't make good contact with the hose barb no matter how good a clamp you use.

Worm clamps work IF you tighten tighten them again just a little bit more every couple of months for a while as a new hose allows the worm clamp to sink into it.

The only time I had a hose come off was about 6 months after installing a new hose and not tightening the worm clamp as the clamp sank into the hose over time. After a while it's stabilizes and you don't have to do that anymore but I would say every couple of months for the first 8 months or so you want to check it and see if you can turn it a little bit more.

NAPA has those flexible radiator hoses.
FleetFlex Gold Flexible Coolant hose can replace a multitude of molded hose sizes and shapes on a range of trucks, buses and heavy-duty vehicles.

as a trail repair on pitted connections permatex rtv works too. i don't know if im going to be able to get that hose off again, although it hasn't leaked yet

Multiple heat cycles, including a 20+ mile test drive, followed by sitting inside for more than 24 hr at a time. No leaks.

Back