Did I add too much MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just filled up my mustang (15.4 gallon tank) with regular 87 octane and add 8 ounces of mmo instead of 6...Havent used it in a while so my bad. I drive the car a little "spiritidly" and just want to know if its ok.
Thanks

that's not too bad, I used to use 6 ounces per 14 gal in my chevy, I'm now down to 4 ounces, I heard somewhere on this forum that too much could hurt gas mileage, and that way too much could foul plugs, but 8 oz is nothing to worry about.

Oh no! Is it too late to have the fuel tank removed and thoroughly cleaned?
lol.gif

Too much does in fact foul plugs. I poured a big bottle into my ZX6E motorcycle with a 5ish gallon tank. Had to drain and refill. More is better right?

Modern PEA additives will work better and spare your cat an unnecessary bath of upper cyl lube. On newer models with high efficiency cat settings its more important to stay away from the lube filled cleaners. Upper cyl lube = Cat death.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Upper cyl lube = Cat death.

Sorry that blanket statement is just not true. And there are good PEA cleaners like Redline's that contain a UCL and can be used at each and every fill up. 1.5 ounces/10 gallons of gas is their suggestion for continued use of the product.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Any more than zero (0) is too much!!

For you it is!
thumbsup2.gif
Many of us disagree though.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Sorry that blanket statement is just not true. And there are good PEA cleaners like Redline's that contain a UCL and can be used at each and every fill up. 1.5 ounces/10 gallons of gas is their suggestion for continued use of the product.

The cat anti-fouler keeping my cat efficiency CEL out told me not to debate you again on this, you win.
laugh.gif

Tempted to take the anti-fouler off and see if the cat sobered up since I discontinued MMO use.

I know the Red Line Si-1 marketing claims upper cyl lube, but can you tell me what in the MSDS that would be? Is it the +-10% Isooctanol? I ask because MMO is mostly mineral oil, making it more of a lubricant than a cleaner.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner MSDS.pdf

http://www.turtlewax.com/upload/msdp/MM010-1-England$2ada558ab2a17bd0.pdf

Last edited:
No idea. My point was Upper cyl lube = Cat death, is just not true. I'd be more worried about the cat in a car that uses a qt of oil every 3K miles than the car that sees 4 ounces of MMO/10 gallons of gas. Many auto makers consider a qt of oil used every 1,000 miles normal, many cars on the road are burning that much or more and those cats are living long lives too.

No idea. My point was Upper cyl lube = Cat death, is just not true. I'd be more worried about the cat in a car that uses a qt of oil every 3K miles than the car that sees 4 ounces of MMO/10 gallons of gas. Many auto makers consider a qt of oil used every 1,000 miles normal, many cars on the road are burning that much or more and those cats are living long lives too.

We will always disagree. While both are bad I'm more fearful of 1930's era mineral oils and mineral spirits than a modern SN motor oil. Stopping here
cheers3.gif

We will always disagree. I'm more fearful of 1930's era mineral oils and mineral spirits than a modern SN motor oil. Stopping here
cheers3.gif

No problem! We will always disagree on this, but there are many things I agree with you on! I also respect the fact that we can agree to disagree, and keep it civil. This one is on me!
11.gif

I would refill with 3-4 gallons of gas as soon as you use that much up, then do it again at when reaching that same point. This will dilute the concentration Marvel Misery Oil.

After the tank is empty, refill with 100% GASOLINE. Thats what your car wants and needs. Stay away from all the snake oils/Misery Oils.

We will always disagree. I'm more fearful of 1930's era mineral oils and mineral spirits than a modern SN motor oil. Stopping here
cheers3.gif

No problem! We will always disagree on this, but there are many things I agree with you on! I also respect the fact that we can agree to disagree, and keep it civil. This one is on me!
11.gif

Ok...will modify future replies to "if used correctly" vs. the blanket assumption most people don't measure and use too much...
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back