Deposits and Base Oils/Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. Reducing deposits and keeping an engine clean is done by the additives in the oil and not the base oil itself. Synthetic based oils do not clean any better than their
petroleum based counterparts. There is a very simple way of giving your engine the best protection, use a petroleum based oil and change the oil more often. The longer the oil is in the engine, the more wear particles, dirt and soot enter the oil. These particles act like a sandblaster and create more wear. There is nothing in the oil to stop this process, except changing the oil out.

I asked CVX if their Havoline Synthetic would prevent deposits more so than their conventional oil. The response wasn't quite what I expected and I'm not sure I agree 100%.

If an oil has a better base oil, which synthetics do, they won't thicken as much due to oxidation. So this will help keep the engine cleaner. Additives play a role in this as well. So isn't is incorrect to say that two oils with the same additive package (Hav dino vs Synth) but different base oils would not show any difference in preventing deposits? Sounds more liking marketing the old 3k mile drain interval again IMO. Over a longer drain is where the synthetic would show better results.

Sounds more like both chevron dino and chevron syn show the same deposits over the same distance/ time in chevron tests. Whether you can apply that to all syn and dino may be what your are asking. The UOAs aren't showing any better performance on wear as measured by suspended metals for dino and syn.

So does this mean that people using synthetic and extended drains, are actually harming their engines due to increased wear particles, dirt and soot?
The way that is stated, its better to change oil by time rather than miles.

I agree on the syn base doing nothing to keep the oil cleaner than the conventional base oils. On the extended drain intervals we have a good measuring tool in our UOA's to detect total solids. I think the insoluble count(Blackstone) is a minimum with a total particle count being even better at detecting solids to measure how much the oil is loaded during an interval. There answer is the "simple" answer(and probably more economical to the end user when you count the cost of UOA's and syn oils).
Being on BITOGer makes many of us take on extra cost out of intelectual curiosity if nothing else.

I would suggest that conventional oils due to their higher solubility keep deposits in suspension better than synthetic oils. The additive pack if done right can help to equalize that difference. Sludge is caused by more than high temperature oxidation.

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. Reducing deposits and keeping an engine clean is done by the additives in the oil and not the base oil itself. Synthetic based oils do not clean any better than their
petroleum based counterparts. There is a very simple way of giving your engine the best protection, use a petroleum based oil and change the oil more often. The longer the oil is in the engine, the more wear particles, dirt and soot enter the oil. These particles act like a sandblaster and create more wear. There is nothing in the oil to stop this process, except changing the oil out.

I asked CVX if their Havoline Synthetic would prevent deposits more so than their conventional oil. The response wasn't quite what I expected and I'm not sure I agree 100%.

If an oil has a better base oil, which synthetics do, they won't thicken as much due to oxidation. So this will help keep the engine cleaner. Additives play a role in this as well. So isn't is incorrect to say that two oils with the same additive package (Hav dino vs Synth) but different base oils would not show any difference in preventing deposits? Sounds more liking marketing the old 3k mile drain interval again IMO. Over a longer drain is where the synthetic would show better results.

yea go with dino if you want a clean engine, and prevent deposits. that makes as much sense as changing it often ultimately buying more oil
pat2.gif
he seemed to overlook the issue of long term varnish prevention

I would suggest that conventional oils due to their higher solubility keep deposits in suspension better than synthetic oils.
End Quote

I won't go too far out on the limb regarding the solvency virtues of Grp I or II base oils. Yes, the solvency factor is there, but limited in an engine environment with high temperatures and fuel loading.

Here is a Lube Reports Article illustrating the problems caused by the general public unknowingly using SA oils in the crankcases of today's vehicles.

Note the pictures of the oil pump pick-up screens, and the oil pan, and the engine block.

More than likely, these are low cost, Grp I base oils and without the benefit of a full additive package, with detergents & dispersants, these oils quickly oxidize & produce sludge.

Now, if the base oil had high solvency characteristics, per your current theory, the sludge should have dissolved.

Correct?

Blue99, you elegantly highlight what every BITOG member, of at least sophmore status, should already know...this whole Group I is better than xxxx is nothing more than bovine excrement and/or flame bait.

Quote:

you elegantly highlight what every BITOG member, of at least sophmore status, should already know...this whole Group I is better than xxxx is nothing more than bovine excrement and/or flame bait.

No doubt about it.
smile.gif

Quote:

Blue99, you elegantly highlight what every BITOG member, of at least sophmore status, should already know...this whole Group I is better than xxxx is nothing more than bovine excrement and/or flame bait.

I guess I'm taking the bait again, but of course, it's worth noting that said troll's most recent post also belies a fundamental lack of understanding of the difference between suspending and dissolving. It's not as if his credibility hadn't already evaporated, but still. . .

I honestly have a hard time believing that the "troll" believes his own statements. However, he is only a Group II troll; Maybe when he reaches Group IV and V he will see the light.

Hi Buster,

There are different types of deposits formed by different mechanisms, and both the additives and the base oils play a role. There is complex chemistry taking place in the crankcase and isolating the causes and effects is not as simple as CVX would suggest.

Sludge is a low temperature phenomenon and primarily in the additive domain, although the ability of the base oils to disperse and suspend is also a factor.

Varnish and carbonaceous deposits are caused by high temperature reactions, mainly oxidation, and here the base oils play a more significant role than in sludge. While most varnish can be effectively controlled by a robust anti-oxidant and detergent system, the base oils can influence the rate of oxidation and the ability of the oil to dissolve and clean deposits.

We run high temperature coking tests on aviation and industrial oils which clearly show the base oil impact on varnish and carbon deposits. Consistently, the Grp I based oils are much cleaner than Grp III or PAOs, in spite of the fact that they are not as oxidatively stable. The main reason is that Grp I is more polar due to its aromaticity and better at dissolving polymeric compounds before they can solidify into deposits. PAOs and Grp IIIs are utterly paraffinic and notorious for their poor solubility, which is why they are usually amended with esters or ANs. I have a photo that demonstrates our typical results with various base oils but I don't know how to upload it to this forum.

Our coking test is designed for developing lubricants for jet engines and extremely high temperature industrial applications, where it correlates well with the field. There is no such proven correlation in automotive oils, but the ability of the test to distinguish the varnish/carbon deposit forming tendencies of various base oils is interesting and consistent with theory.

I should also point out that while PAOs and Grp IIIs are deposit formers in thin film, high temperature environments, this does not mean that they will form deposits in your lower temperature car engine. Like I said, the chemistry is complex and the additives important.

Tom

Tom, thanks for the post. Makes much more sense now.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Now, if the base oil had high solvency characteristics, per your current theory, the sludge should have dissolved. Correct?

SA oils by definition have no additives, and are obviously a bad choice. While you may get away with that in a clean turbine application, this does not fly for internal combution engines which by their very nature are very dirty. Turbine oils may get away with as little as 1% additives where an motor oil may have as much as 25% as additives. In particular motor oil needs additives to prevent oxidation, and detergents to dispurse contaminants and the compounds formed when additives are broken down. So the combination of base oil solvency and additives is important.

Ron:

A couple points in response. First, you can't generalize about "turbines" like that. I flew jets in the Marines for eight years. The oil required in our engines (turbines, of course) was MIL-L-23699. All the oils that met the spec were Group-V products. The Group-Is that you've fallen in love with here would have, at the engine temps we saw, been reduced to black goop in a matter of minutes.

Second, before you go congratulating Tom, as if he's agreeing with you, you need to read more carefully. He said, "Consistently, the Grp I based oils are much cleaner than Grp III or PAOs, in spite of the fact that they are not as oxidatively stable. The main reason is that Grp I is more polar due to its aromaticity and better at dissolving polymeric compounds before they can solidify into deposits. PAOs and Grp IIIs are utterly paraffinic and notorious for their poor solubility, which is why they are usually amended with esters or ANs." Yeah, everyone knows that Group-I is good for solubility, but it's awful for oxidation. Once again, you are focussing upon one isolated feature of a product (solvency) while ignoring all the other important other qualities (such as ability to resist breakdown, etc.). If Group-Is are so good where are all the SM rated, top quality motor oils today??? Please name some!

Third, Tom also said, "Our coking test is designed for developing lubricants for jet engines and extremely high temperature industrial applications, where it correlates well with the field. There is no such proven correlation in automotive oils, but the ability of the test to distinguish the varnish/carbon deposit forming tendencies of various base oils is interesting and consistent with theory.

I should also point out that while PAOs and Grp IIIs are deposit formers in thin film, high temperature environments, this does not mean that they will form deposits in your lower temperature car engine.
" Exactly how does this support your theory of Group-I superiority? Of course, you never defined the environment in which G-I is allegedly superior. History has proven that Group-I is not superior as to car engines and hot run turbines -- again, where are the Group-I SM products today? Again, name some, please!

Finally, you said, "I would suggest that conventional oils due to their higher solubility keep deposits in suspension better than synthetic oils. " If you really don't see the huge distinction between a fluid dissolving one thing and suspending another, then respectfully, you shouldn't be prognosticating here.

This board is not dominated by "groupthink". It's dominated by folks who refuse to accept unsupportable claims without challenge (and who can spot a troll when he appears...).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back