Decent chrome polish for slightly rusted bumper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the steel wool. When in doubt, start with something not abrasive enough and go towards the more abrasive direction until it does the job and the rust is gone.

Blue Magic works good and is easy to find, a little pricey these days but what isn't. 3M chrome and metal polish is good too but more expensive and harder to find.
Even the cheap Turtle Wax chrome polish at Walmart does the job but with a lot more elbow grease required. To my knowledge steel wool is a major no-no on chrome.

The polishes work, you just have to put in the effort, bad news is chrome bumpers rust from the inside out, eventually a hole will form.

I saw a advertisement for CLR liquid (calcium, lime, rust) showing it being used on a chrome bicycle fender. maybe that stuff would remove the rust.

It's a Wal-Mart item.

#0000 steel wool dripped in mothers mag polish. If it has rust, its way beyond neverdull. If it was just greenish or corroded, then the other less agressive ways would work fine.

Use Naval Jelly to get rid of the rust
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
any good ones out there? I had a friend tell me to use 0000 steel wool.

I know it sounds weird but coke and aluminum foil kicks butt.

You want to send pm to our esteemed colleague from Bolivia! He has done amazing restoration work. Richard Widman is his name.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back