Prepainted bumper covers?

Does anyone have experience with prepainted aftermarket bumper covers? After hitting a deer I need a new bumper cover for my 2015 4Runner. I live in a rural area and it’s a pain to get any professional body work done..

I’m thinking about ordering one off eBay. You can apparently buy them prepainted ready to install. Anyone done this? How was the quality? Color match?

TIA

It won't be blended and will probably be obvious that it is a replacement item. But if you don't care about that, then go for it. I get a customer yelling at me about 2-3 times a week because Ford and Mazda bumpers don't come pre-painted.

It won't be blended and will probably be obvious that it is a replacement item. But if you don't care about that, then go for it. I get a customer yelling at me about 2-3 times a week because Ford and Mazda bumpers don't come pre-painted.
Do Ford part numbers still end in PTM when a part needs to be painted to match?

Even certified aftermarket bumpers are sometimes a poor fit. And that ad is probably for the cheapest non-certified brand. What does it mean, This bumper is folded for the most economical shipping possible; this folding can cause minor imperfections? That would be a no thanks, right off. How do you fold a bumper?

My cost on that oem Toyota cover would be $189, and I could get it painted for another $200. Even if you had to pay $250 and $250 respectively, if it's something nice, I'd get oem. Or find a matching color used one.

Was it a factory oem part? Many small parts come color matched and may have a dozen different part numbers like this trunk molding,

Untitled.jpg

Was it a factory oem part? Many small parts come color matched and may have a dozen different part numbers like this trunk molding,

It was a vastly superior aftermarket exterior door handle for a 2000 Camry (a common problem on this particular vehicle). Purchased off eBay, and yes I think they painted it and I had to give them the color code and wait like 3 weeks for them to paint it.

After my wife's Civic got rear ended in 2021, I bought one from Houston. It came folded in thirds in the box. The paper inside said, "Don't panic." I followed the instructions and set it out in the sun and it unfolded nicely. I installed it after watching a youtube video. Not a perfect color match but close enough you have to really look to see a difference. No complaints here.

Does anyone have experience with prepainted aftermarket bumper covers? After hitting a deer I need a new bumper cover for my 2015 4Runner. I live in a rural area and it’s a pain to get any professional body work done..

I’m thinking about ordering one off eBay. You can apparently buy them prepainted ready to install. Anyone done this? How was the quality? Color match?

TIA

Those guys are amazing - I have used them a dozen times and perfect each time. Saves a lot of money too.

Even certified aftermarket bumpers are sometimes a poor fit. And that ad is probably for the cheapest non-certified brand. What does it mean, This bumper is folded for the most economical shipping possible; this folding can cause minor imperfections? That would be a no thanks, right off. How do you fold a bumper?

My cost on that oem Toyota cover would be $189, and I could get it painted for another $200. Even if you had to pay $250 and $250 respectively, if it's something nice, I'd get oem. Or find a matching color used one.
You can't get bumper painted for $200 anymore - more like 400-600 depending on paint code. This particular ebay painter ships them unfolded, I have had a few folded and actually was no trouble after letting the bumper sit for a little while then installed fine.

I've gotten two off eBay. The first one didn't match as it was a bit darker. The last one I sent in the plug for my front bumper tow hook that was the OE color. It's perfect.

Try to get one that is shipped unfolded. I paid an extra $100 IIRC.

You are better off getting a local budget body shop to paint an aftermarket bumper for you, shop around for prices.

They can make spray down a spray down panel with different paint formulations to get a closer match to your vehicle. A remote painter will just guess your shade from paint code. If you ever opened up one of the books that painters use you'll get to see an entire page of multiple variants of the same color.

Factors such as static, paint gun air pressure, and humidity can easily give you a color mismatch. This even happens from the factory as you can see on many metallic vehicles.

Just have to find a wholesale shop. $250 for this cover including bodywork to fix a nasty tear. And that's the existing bumper so a lot more prep than a new one.

View attachment 194121
You are right about that. I used to have a painter that would do any panel for 200-300 but lost him and paint alone is so expensive. I am in Texas but I was born and raised in MD noticed the plate lol. I miss steamed crabs, Captn Harveys and Thrashers fries.

I've been searching forever for a 2017 Accord Hybrid base front bumper that are affordable but can't find any. Found one from Revemoto but it's $1242. Yikes. Will just do the plastic soldering and can paint next summer.
This was a result of dumb people turning left without looking or care. Pissed me off.

Back