removing old bumper sticker from textured plastic

JHZR2

Staff member
My 1991 300D has black textured plastic “rub strips) on its bumper, and there is a very old bumper sticker on it. I’d like to get it off. The black plastic may be somewhat faded differently, but it all looks good so I’ll deal with that later.

What’s the best bet? Heat, chemicals, etc?

The textured plastic is what gives me pause. Scratching it would be worse than it would for paint.

Should I start with something like wd-40 or goo gone? Or something else? I don’t think it’s brittle enough throughout to lift it with a blade, and then again I could damage the texture.

Thanks!

My 1991 300D has black textured plastic “rub strips) on its bumper, and there is a very old bumper sticker on it. I’d like to get it off. The black plastic may be somewhat faded differently, but it all looks good so I’ll deal with that later.

What’s the best bet? Heat, chemicals, etc?

The textured plastic is what gives me pause. Scratching it would be worse than it would for paint.

Should I start with something like wd-40 or goo gone? Or something else? I don’t think it’s brittle enough throughout to lift it with a blade, and then again I could damage the texture.

Thanks!
Goof off

........ Should I start with something like wd-40 or goo gone?.....
That's what I would use. Keep soaking it with WD-40 for several days. That will give it time to penetrate. The glue on those things is pretty strong, so it will take time.

Time is cheap compared to right away going to harsher methods and damaging something. If that doesn't work, (or if your patience is limited), you can resort to a few specialty products made for the task.

Each brand may have multiple products, suitable for different conditions, but the original version, at least, of Goof Off is not plastic safe.

It doesn't help that there is another adhesive remover with a similar name, Goo Gone, and people can mistakenly conflate the two.

GG is a citrus-oil based cleaner, and is plastic safe.

Heed the labels, and see if they jibe with user experience.

Oh yeah, forgot to add -- first thing to try might be the stuff in the cupboard you spread on your toast -- peanut butter.

Last edited:
I have found odorless candle & lamp oil to be very effective in removing residual glue, and being non-polar liquid wax paraffins shouldn't affect the plastic surface. Of course it depends on the nature of the residue, so you may want to try a polar solvent first like isopropyl alcohol.

I had great success with Goo Gone Automotive, specifically made for automotive purposes. Spray, let soak on sticker for a couple minutes, and it was able to be peeled right off.

IMG_6279.jpeg

I removed all of the vinyl stickers on my truck ( Dealer logo , etc. ) and all of the cheesy badging on the tailgate . WD-40 and Goof Off . Peeled them with the fingernail .

I removed all of the vinyl stickers on my truck ( Dealer logo , etc. ) and all of the cheesy badging on the tailgate . WD-40 and Goof Off . Peeled them with the fingernail .
Yeah but were they on paint, or textured plastic?

If it was factory cured paint I’d have zero concerns. It’s not.

Each brand may have multiple products, suitable for different conditions, but the original version, at least, of Goof Off is not plastic safe.

It doesn't help that there is another adhesive remover with a similar name, Goo Gone, and people can mistakenly conflate the two.

GG is a citrus-oil based cleaner, and is plastic safe.

Heed the labels, and see if they jibe with user experience.

Oh yeah, forgot to add -- first thing to try might be the stuff in the cupboard you spread on your toast -- peanut butter.
Didn't think about that as I have both. Apparently goof off has a "Household paint, and satin remover" that is claimed to be plastic safe.

Back