Daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy with what I have right now and governmental agencies don't really force me one way or another; I wouldn't be driving a de-catted V8 or small diesel swapped Cherokee if it were not illegal in my state.

I would, however, be driving something much older if everything in my state didn't rust into pieces

I'm pretty much already doing that. I don't drive my 1994 Ranger daily, but I do drive it regularly (multiple times a week). It has no air bags at all, no seat belt pre-tensioners, rear ABS which may as well be no ABS, not much as far as a crumple zone, and zero consideration for pedestrian impacts. I didn't buy it for its lack of those features, but their absence wasn't a concern either. If you're looking at old pickups safety features generally aren't a priority.

The truck does have some interesting attempts at safety, such as cables that run from the seat belt buckles to the frame, I guess so that if the body of the truck is ripped off, at least your seatbelt will be securely anchored to the frame.

As far as engine management, it was actually a little ahead of the curve for 1994, so it's not extremely different from a modern vehicle. There's the usual sensors including a MAF sensor. The relatively dumb OBDI computer just can't tell you as much and isn't doing as much on the fly. There's also no pre-cats and no cam sensor. The lack of a cam sensor and associated synchronizer assembly is a little bit of an advantage over a later model of the same truck since parts that don't exist won't break, but again I didn't buy it specifically for that reason.

Probably the same things I drive now. I love the power, tech, and quietness. And they have been drop dead reliable despite all the tech and whatnot. Outside of 1 vehicle I got rid of them because I got tired of them or situations changed not that they became unreliable.

I'd probably ride my Honda 400ex ATV on the road if I could. It is great on fuel, fun to ride, loud and bright yellow so texters would see/hear me.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Something that is comfortable, with a good collection of creature comforts and nifty features..

mad-max-38.jpg

Last edited:
The '09 Camry is my first car made in this millenium. As for safety equipment, it is the first with airbags to. Dont get me started on the Huge A pillars which are down right scary in cross traffic or even worse, human crossings . I got stuck going past Milton Academy at lunch time. Scaree! I used to drive rusted out 6 volt bugs. Best off road vehicle ever. Good commuter car for the 60s. The drum brakes and single MC were more than adequate for the day.The best thing about a bug was that you could avoid accidents by driving around them Bugs rolled over but were often righted and driven home. Their antics in water were legendary. My Dad's '64 would pop your ears when the doors closed. It would float for an hour. Thats a managable leak. Now that it drives my grandsons around, I don't mind the airbags
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Nothing about government regulation but more about how much money I have.

I'd like to drive an RV to work everyday and take a nap during lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back