Ford: your vehicle can not be driven message after failed software update.

I sort of hope this is a fake, but if it hasn't happened yet, I presume some day it would.

The old joke used to be that if microsoft made cars, every once in a while they would just quit. Everyone would have to get out, walk 360 degrees around the car and get back in. This would be accepted as normal.

Looks like were closer to that point daily.

1703627821964.png

That guy is wrong, Ford isn't the first, lol ;)

Jalopnik said:
If you didn’t read through the thread, I’ll summarize here: the Tesla owner was driving their Model S P85D on the highway, when the car begins to beep and warn that he needs to pull over immediately due to some power issue. Immediately after warning, all controls lock up, and the car comes to a halt, in the middle of a six-lane highway, leaving him no time to try and steer the car onto the shoulder, out of traffic.
The car will not budge from this point; it won’t go into neutral, the parking brake won’t release. It’s no longer a vehicle, it’s an immobile bit of sculpture blinking its hazard lights in the middle of the highway.
The driver was, thankfully, able to get to the shoulder, and thanks to some nearby Caltrans workers, was able to get the car coned off to help direct traffic around it, which was extremely lucky.
About 45 minutes later, a tow truck finally arrived. It’s also worth noting that Teslas (and nearly all other EVs) require a flat bed-type tow truck, so it’s not like just any tow truck would have done the job.
Also, based on this tweet, it looks like the tow driver didn’t get the car rolling, either, and just pulled it up, with the rear wheels still locked, onto the bed:

This particular incident involved a Tesla, but this is really an industry-wide problem with EVs. Every EV has some way to get the car into neutral, but based on the research I’ve done so far, all of the major EVs sold require the car to be at least partially functional to access the controls to get it into a tow or free-rolling mode, as these are usually accessed through the cars’ center-stack touch screen.
For Ford and Tesla, the procedures definitely require the touch screen to be functional, which means at least some 12V or main battery power must be accessible

I sort of hope this is a fake, but if it hasn't happened yet, I presume some day it would.

The old joke used to be that if microsoft made cars, every once in a while they would just quit. Everyone would have to get out, walk 360 degrees around the car and get back in. This would be accepted as normal.

View attachment 194959

It’s not a bug, it’s a control feature.

Remember that for the future…

volvo’s current issues with software which tie the dash, cel signal, and all vehicle controls together, with frequent Green Screen of Death, and long waits for a software fix, from Google (the developer), absolutely halted my interest in another Volvo.

I’ve generally not been afraid of new tech, but here is where I start digging my heals in.

Last edited:

View attachment 194959

There is off chance they fail in remote updates. Previously you visited dealer and they flashed who could verify and reflash it like the Ford if it failed….

Thankfully rarer …

There is off chance they fail in remote updates. Previously you visited dealer and they flashed who could verify and reflash it like the Ford if it failed….

Thankfully rarer …
I have flashed far more firmware updates to eeprom than I care to count. The point being, if it didn't take why is it so fubar it can't ping the server and try again, or re-flash the previos one? If you can do it with a wire, in theory you can do it wireless.

Electronics are cars is disgusting the older I get the more I detest the application.

People think software is easy and anyone can do it. People are mistaken. In may career I had a captured group of a few thousand users. Easy money in comparison.
My neighbor makes a living coding and I have looked over his shoulder while he is doing it . He asked me one time if I would like to learn,,, I said I would rather die !

Hard to believe it's the same company that made this. I can put it in drive no matter what.

Attachments

• 387336506_680769767324148_5949955167792254668_n.jpg
    387336506_680769767324148_5949955167792254668_n.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 39
My neighbor makes a living coding and I have looked over his shoulder while he is doing it . He asked me one time if I would like to learn,,, I said I would rather die !
Programming is nothing more than problem solving logic; the steps and parts to achieve the desired outcome. This is similar to a manufacturing line; you have order, operations (steps where labor is applied) and parts added to the assembly. Same difference.
The syntax is the easy part; what it does is the hard part, and certainly where the value is. Anybody can code; but how many understand how to tell a computer how to perform linear regression on hundreds of thousands of data points?
I am retired but I miss the challenge. I think in numbers. I count when I walk, sometimes in different number systems.
When I was working on tough code, I might be at the dentist coding in my mind's eye while he was drilling away. He asked me if my mind was somewhere else; the good Dentist used to laugh at me.

I work in IT and deal with software glitches daily, they are a fact of life. What scares me more about the heavy integration of software in cars to control everything is how I know the auto manufacturers and their wonderful network of dealers typically deal with problems. Oh your car glitched and stranded you in the middle of nowhere? That sucks... please get it to your nearest dealer while we attempt to figure out how to blame you for the issue and dodge warranty coverage. :LOL:

I work in IT and deal with software glitches daily, they are a fact of life. What scares me more about the heavy integration of software in cars to control everything is how I know the auto manufacturers and their wonderful network of dealers typically deal with problems. Oh your car glitched and stranded you in the middle of nowhere? That sucks... please get it to your nearest dealer while we attempt to figure out how to blame you for the issue and dodge warranty coverage. :LOL:
Nowdays having access to a competent dealer is much more important. Thirty years ago if your dealer service department was miserable you could go to an indie shop. Today it's not that simple.

Annoying, yes. But ECU failures are nothing new. My personal hell was a 380Z that would start and run on any 5 cylinders but as soon as you connected the 6th spark plug it would die. After many hours of diagnosis, the problem turned out to be a partly failed power transistor in the ECU that couldn't quite keep up with firing 6 cylinders. And it wasn't kind enough to give me a heads up on a giant LCD either.

Back