Craftsman ratcheting elbow wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a set of Craftsman ratcheting elbow wrenches for Christmas.
They looked good until I looked on the back, yep you guessed it “China” .
Disappointment set in an I put them down as just more cheap junk but
what the heck it’s the thought that counts, it was just the fact that I could have really used these if they were any good.

I started playing with them later in the day and was surprised at the finish and smoothness of these wrenches; they actually have a better finish than most of Craftsmans U.S. made and Gearwrench stuff,no waves or grinding scars in the metal and flawless chrome. I went and tried them on some tight bolts, no problem at all. If I were buying I would have passed on them without a second thought but I think these will be pretty decent. I still don’t like the fact they are Chinese but the quality seems okay.

The only real gripes I have is they are a metric set but the 12 16 and 18 is not included, I can understand the 16 and 18 but the 12?
The other minor issue was with the locks for the elbow joint, they were a little tight on a few of them but were fine after a shot of oil.

I can’t honestly say if I would buy them myself even now (the Chinese thing just doesn’t sit right with me) but they really do seem okay.If they were made in the U.S.A they would get a thumbs up.

I went through the same trauma after purchasing my corded Craftsman Professional drill about 6 years ago. Looked at the back and nearly returned it. I emailed the company asking some specific questions and they responded quickly.

I built my basement with that drill and my friend built his entire deck with it after realizing a cordless drill wouldn't cut it. So far, so good.

I felt exactly the same way you did when I saw made in China! I read online reviews and most were positive. I had the opportunity to go to the store and actually handle the tools for a while and see for myself. Quiet honestly they are very good. A few were tight as you said but a shot of oil and working them a bit improved them. I was a little disappointed on not having the 12 MM size either, I'll order one to have it. So many things are being made in China today it is sickening. In this case the tools are actually pretty good.

12mm is close enough to 1/2" they felt it was not necessary to include both. Waiting for the cost cutters invoke that. lol

Last edited:
I bought both SAE and metric, I always do. Still I'd rather have all the sizes if possible.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
So many things are being made in China today it is sickening.
So many things are not being made in USA today - it is sickening.

heres something ive always found intersting....drop a tiwan (spelling) wrech on concrete, then do a china or usa, youll note the ting sound in china and usa is very similar, tiwan isnt like that sound at all......interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back