Cooper CS4 or Michelin Primacy MXV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Consumer Reports tested both of these tires, they found the Michelins to have excellent rolling resistance, while the Cooper was high or middling. What that means is the Coopers may end up costing you more (in fuel) to own than the Michelins.

I've never owned Coopers, but have owned a ton of Michelins. Not the Primacy MXV4 yet, but a passel of others. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set of Michelins; in fact, my wife insists on it, only because I'm usually disappointed when I buy an non-Michelin brand.

I have owned a lot of different tires and if you can afford the Michelins, it is a no brainer... For most applications, they are the best tire being sold.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Also, their reaction to ANY problem seems to be, "It must be your fault, because our tires are perfect! Shut up and buy another one."

Thats exactly the opposite of my recent dealings with Michelin. My wifes Camry had Michelins as OEM tires. They were absolutely dangerous in wet weather.

I called Michelin and asked them what they could do for me as a replacement tire. They warrantied the OEMs and gave me a $600 credit towards a new set of Michelin,BFG or Uniroyal tires of my choosing.

They went above and beyond in my case.

Yep, I also have had ONE bad Michelin, and we buy 12-16 minimum per year.

I simply called my supplier, Discount Tires Direct, and said I got a lemon. They said they would ship the replacement immediately and then all I did was ship the bad LTX back to them.

They even paid shipping and balancing/mounting charges as well.

Last edited:
Had Cooper Grande Trek on a new Toyota Suv maybe 7 years ago and in 20,000 easy miles I was looking at tread bars-they were gone-shot=NFG-and I have never entertained buying again. If you drive the miles buy the Michilen-if you don't still don't buy Cooper anything.
My 2 cents!

We've put Cooper CS4 tires on three different cars in the last year and are extremely happy with them.

In the snow, the CS4's will hands down knock the Michelins out of the water. They offer some of the best traction in the snow for a passenger all-season.

The vehicle they would be going on sees about 15,000 miles per year, mostly of highway driving.

It currently has Kumho tires of some model I don't remember off the top of my head. They've actually lasted a long time (50,000 miles so far) but traction, noise, and balancing stability have been issues the entire time.

Any real world experiences with treadwear for these specific models?

I have said this to many people and posted on here several times, the Cooper CS'4 will be the quietest tire that you have ever put on a car. I am getting ready to put a second set on a Chrysler T&C.

The Michelin Primacy that you are thinking about is not even in the same class as the CS'4 for noise and traction. The Michelin will have better rolling resistance to start, the Cooper will get better with age.

Originally Posted By: D.K.
I have said this to many people and posted on here several times, the Cooper CS'4 will be the quietest tire that you have ever put on a car. I am getting ready to put a second set on a Chrysler T&C.

The Michelin Primacy that you are thinking about is not even in the same class as the CS'4 for noise and traction. The Michelin will have better rolling resistance to start, the Cooper will get better with age.

Our friends have the CS4's on a Chrysler LHS and love'em. IDK if they have ever owned Michelin tires in the past, or if the OE tires were Michelin's but, they're not concerned as the LHS is a quiet car. I'll ask them again when I see'em about their love for the CS4's as the 1 year mark is approaching.

I have another friend that has just put on the Primacy MXV4's on his Prius(Oct 2011)as they also showed quite well for snow/ice and he isn't quite impressed but, mentioned only about the lower MPG, not quietness(and we had very little snow this winter!) CR rated the Primacy MXV4's as decent for rolling resistance and average for noise. Previous tires on the Prius were G/Y Integrity's which themselves are smooth/quiet and easy rolling though, not rated an LRR.

I have read lots of tire reviews from owners with vehicles like mine driving in climates similar to mine as well. Reviews like this is one of the best way to pick a tire for your needs but, not the only way. One needs to have a criteria(most important to least important) as all tires are a mixed bag!

Thank you both for your experiences.

I have seen on TR's surveys that the Michelin is not the best for snow and ice traction, averaging 7.1 for ice traction and deep snow traction, and a 7.8 for light snow traction.

I can imagine the rolling resistance would be higher for the Michelins over OEM Prius tires which I imagine aim for low rolling resistance at the expense of everything else. It is interesteing to hear that he was not impressed with noise levels, as Tire Rack surveys place them in the "Excellent" category at 8.8 which is the highest in the segment.

It's too bad TR does not sell Cooper tires so that it would be easier to compare. The Michelin scores very well in the "would you buy again?" segment and with almost 10 million miles of users reporting, it's a compelling argument.

It seems that for the same money the Michelins are the better buy. While the Coopers may be as good in some areas, it seems from all the reading I've been doing that the Michelin tire offers a more complete package and less risk.

I had to go look which Cooper is on my Escape. Its not the CS4 but I sure like them. The car has 177k on it and this tire is the best I've had, definitely improved wet weather performance. Escapes tend to hydroplane on some tires (I think because they are tall and have a short wheelbase). I'm not like my buddy that thinks Michelen is always the best choice. The one set I had on a BMW years ago were a real dissapointment.

I have a set of aftermarket Primacy MXV4 on my Prius and they have deliver phenomenal wet traction, but have resulted in a fuel economy loss of about 8% compared to the original tires.

I would highly recommend them.

Wet traction is far more important than snow traction in this application as it sees mostly highway duty and even in the winter, roads are usually wet/slushy, not snowy.

Originally Posted By: mgm13
Had Cooper Grande Trek on a new Toyota Suv maybe 7 years ago and in 20,000 easy miles I was looking at tread bars-they were gone-shot=NFG-and I have never entertained buying again. If you drive the miles buy the Michilen-if you don't still don't buy Cooper anything.
My 2 cents!

Im thinking you didnt...Grandtrek is Dunlop, not Cooper!

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires will serve you very well.
In Consumer Report testing, they so far outperformed the Cooper
CS4 tires in all areas of testing, that the Coopers are not even worth considering. And, CR's tire tests are conducted over 16K miles in very comprehensive controlled testing for effective comparison.

We have very favorably experienced the performance of Michelin tires over the years. Michelin Energy MXV4'S were the original tires on a couple of cars and they were replaced after 65,000 miles of more than satisfactory use with the Michelin Primacy MXV4's. As good as the Energy's were in our use, the Primacy's are much better in both wet and dry traction, handling, hydroplaning, ride comfort, and noise.
After about 25K, they are wearing about the same as the Michelin Energy tire. Our size is the 215 60 16 and it is one of the low rolling resistance sizes. Vehicle mileage is
up just slightly over the Michelin Energy's.

The Michelim Primacy's MXV4's are currently CR's top rated tire in the Performance All Season Category ( H & V rated ) Yes, they are more expensive than many tires, but like all things worthwhile, you get what you pay for. When it comes to tires, and those all important contact patches beween you and the road, tires that perform very well are the most important for your safe driving conditions.

CS4 tires in all areas of testing, that the Coopers are not even worth considering. And, CR's tire tests are conducted over 16K miles in very comprehensive controlled testing for effective comparison.

This is simply not true. You need to go back and reread the report.

Last edited:
Oh boy....

Both tires are fine in everyday use....I talk to people who actually count..dealers and actual customers...

What sheeple reads CR anyways?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

What sheeple reads CR anyways?

Gee, so you trust subjective user reviews (with many uncontrollable variables) over a lab's controlled testing?
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back