Confused by Cell Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I write Java code for a living, I admit to being somewhat ignorant about cell phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII smart phone, but my employer pays for it, and I never see the bill.

In this link below, can someone explain to me what they mean by " TALK, TEXT & DATA". I get the talk and text part, but what is "data" and how is that different from the "additional high speed data" for $40 listed right below it? Not sure what the extra $40 gets me.

I plan on retiring a year or two out, and I mostly want a phone to keep in touch and for emergencies, plus additional phones for the family. I could live without constantly checking my email. I certainly would never stream videos or music or nonsense (to me) like that.

http://explore.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-no-credit

Last edited:
High speed = 4g, otherwise you're on 2g sending mms messages or going REALLY SLOW on the internet

and yes it's extremely poorly worded

Last edited:
If you like t-mobile's service you can buy the 50 dollar simple choice plan. That comes with 500mb of high speed data after which they will limit your data speed. The extra 40 dollars gets you another 2gb of high speed data (per month). Keep in mind that example is for 2 lines, it's really 20 bucks per line per month for the additional data.

I only have the 50 dollar plan as I have wifi at home and work. My bill is around 56 bucks a month with taxes and fees. Also worth noting is the simple choice plan doesn't include the phone subsidy, so if you wanted a new S4 that's another 20 bucks a month for 2 years, when it's paid off they no longer charge you.

I wouldn't know this if I didn't just go through this. Also, I just got back from Mexico, free texting and 20cents/minute was a great bargain.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
If you like t-mobile's service you can buy the 50 dollar simple choice plan. That comes with 500mb of high speed data after which they will limit your data speed. The extra 40 dollars gets you another 2gb of high speed data (per month). Keep in mind that example is for 2 lines, it's really 20 bucks per line per month for the additional data.

My employer's plan is Verizon, but we also have AT&T for our personal plan. I put my mother on our family plan so she could have a cell. I am pretty spoiled by Verizon's coverage, but I don't think I'll pay for it post-retirement. I think T-Mobile is adequate - until someone buys them out - which I think is likely at some point.

First consider what company has good service in your area. For example T-Mobile (I like the girl in pink motorcycle) has no service at all in my area. Need to drive 20 minutes to get service. If they are all good, then fine.

I would buy a phone for cash and get a no contract plan. T-Mobile is no contract. Consumer Cellular (uses AT&T towers) is no contract. Straight Talk is no contract. There are others. AT&T has a no contract plan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I mostly want a phone to keep in touch and for emergencies, plus additional phones for the family.

Go with the Verizon share plan and put all the phones on one bill.

Its expalined at the bottom

" Full speeds available up to monthly allotment; then, slowed to up to 2G speeds for rest of billing cycle."

UP to 2g which should be a little faster than dial up speeds.

Atlease you wont get charged for going over like other couriers. they charge something like .1 dollar per MB.

Ting just lowered their rates, they're a Sprint reseller so if Sprint service is good in your area, then it can be a sweet, inexpensive option.

T-Mobile is doing many things right. $50 for the afforementioned unlimited talk & text with 500MB often fits the needs of most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back