CM Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe for the average motorist that has no clue about their car and has all work done. But I don't think that applies to anyone here or we wouldn't be disccussing such technical subjects...

I don't think it is a concern at all, but in fact a great benefit... if you do the work yourself and have an oil pressure gauge.
The element is replacable, the case comes apart, so you see the element every time you put it in and take it out.
The 4" element has a capacity of 10k miles, the 6" ~15k miles...or until oil pressure drops ~4psi.

So I don't see the downside... Aside from the 8micron rating that was tested so long ago it may or may not be true, but even if its a little higher that's still good.

Anyone can say they have an 8 micron filter though. Every filter on the market will stop 8 micron particles. It might only stop 1% of them though.

I wish every oil filter maker had to publish their exact specs. For instance, I'd like to see them publish both the nominal and absolute ratings. Nominal means it'll stop 50% of the particles of that size. Absolute means it'll stop 100% (or very close to that) of the particles that size and larger.

Anybody tried these or know much about them?
http://www.cmfilters.com/index.cfm
They sound awesome.
8 micron element, FF- no bypass, high capacity...

But my only concern was it does not say what percentage at 8 micron. And I emailed them a while back about that, also asking if they had SAE test of efficiency and capacity. They said they bought the company a while back after those tests were done and they never got the reports, so they don't have that data. They were considering re-running some SAE tests on them.

I really don't like the idea of no bypass. Some engines have an internal bypass, but for cars that don't, if you had a bad element, someone who forgot to change it, or if you were to run a flush through and clog the filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back