Chinese quality control is job #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
uh, who says the seal has to be installed by the factory? how do you know in the manufacturing process some monkey doesnt hammer it in during assembly? complain about china all day long, but without them you'd be a poor fella.

Totally disagree. You can't tell where a product is made by price alone, and the average cost for labor in a manufactured product averages 15-20% of the total cost. The middle man is who profits in this free trade venture. I'd rather pay a little more for a product and make 20% or who knows how much more at my job because this Chinese made [censored] has driven down my wages. The O/P has every right to have concerns with Chinese quality because it has been shown over and over again Q.C. is iffy to say the least. Another thing is that he didn't get a price break on the car by the tranny being made in China. This is exactly what is driving down the standard of living here in the USA. To top it off, US based auto parts companies hire $12 dollar an hour temps in order to compete with Mex and China. Moral of the story is to not buy foreign products if you can.

And yet...you own (at least) one foreign-built car. Hypocrite.

Problem is, I can't fit in the Camaro or Mustang being 6'6". Chrysler still uses big 3 parts suppliers and has a 70% domestic content when mine was made, and Chrysler was owned by the gubment then as far as I know at that time.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Silverado12 said:
Another thing is that he didn't get a price break on the car by the tranny being made in China. This is exactly what is driving down the standard of living here in the USA.

and yet OP still bought the car, tell me who's fault it is when they agree to the price paid? The only thing keeping the standard of living where it is is the belief in the current dollar, reset that to bottle caps or glass shards and you would be a rich man.

I don't blame the O/P for buying the Mustang with the Chinese manual tranny, because Ford set the low standard there. It's the race to the bottom mentality that has these corporations cutting costs where the costs were acceptable to begin with. GM still uses a good tranny in the Camaro, but I'm sure there are examples of GM cutting costs by doing the same thing. Sorry for the rant, but I've seen too much suffering caused by outsourcing.

They cant even provide a first world oil seal? Sickening it really is.
Just seeing that on a Ford package really set me off. God i hate them Chicoms. LOL

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And VOLUME is precisely why they set up a cheaper line of supply. The bean counters rule the mfgrs.

It's not greed. It's just a simple mistake in pursuit of a small cost savings per unit on a very high volume seller.

EVERY mfgr does it, just most do not get burnt so badly...

That "simple mistake" is going to cost Ford and the vendors
hundreds of millions of dollars, in lost sales and warranty work, you can BET on it!

Thing is it ISN'T a "mistake" at all. The bean counters are so incredibly greedy now that they are willing to take what would have been considered grossly reckless chances with such things just a decade or so ago. Hopefully the consumer will rip the car
manufacturers a new one so that this increasingly common
squeezing blood from the turnip ends ASAP.

What's always puzzling is that these clowns save a penny with their cost cutting in the production and then spend THREE pennies correcting the outcome of the first cost cut.
Penny wise and pound foolish idiocy.

Last edited:
It was like a 75/25 shot I was getting a good one. Plus I got a heck of a deal on it. It literally was the luck of the draw on getting a good or bad one. Interestingly enough, the only other Mustangs we have had issues with at my work with this trans are also Track Pack cars.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I knew full well what the gearbox was in the car when I bought it. I got the car with Ford's D-Plan which took the sticker price of $44,250 to mid $39k.

I am mostly upset that Ford would put their reputation on the line. Not only as an employee of a dealer but as a stock holder. I am also that a company like Getrag would allow such poor quality control at one of their facilities. However they do make the dual clutch transmission assemblies in the Fiesta and Focus, so maybe they don't care.

Here is the other issue, the Tremec T-56/TR6060 is a known quantity. It has been used in numerous performance applications with very little issues related to the gearbox itself. That unit is made in either the US or Canada. The cost cannot be much more, especially when spread over a volume that the Mustang GT would require.

The cost is enough to make a handful of VIPs filthy stinking rich. That's all that matters.

No matter how good of an employee discount, I would have avoided buying that Mustang.

Many other cars in that price range without the headaches .

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My 2004 Volvo S60R had a Getrag M-66 gearbox in it and it was awesome. Sometimes reverse was a little funky, but overall it was a dream to own and drive. . .

I was meaning to ask why you moved on from your R. The MT R's are getting rarer by the day.

I'm sure this present tranny debacle will eventually work out for you. But at some point, if it keeps up, you might have some lemon law options.

Ten bucks says the man or woman that assembled this transmission has slept maybe 10 hours in the past 7 days... just saying....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Sounds like Ford's diesel, its a great engine after you spend the price of a new Corolla building what they should have shipped from the factory.

If you are talking about the 6.0L and 6.4L, Ford didn't design or build either of them, they were the product of International and those engines are the reason the partnership between Ford and International was severed and Ford is now making their diesel engines in-house.

Conveniently, they also do that with the (problem-free) Automatic transmission that is the "other option" in these cars. This Ford/Getrag Chinese joint venture has just been a disaster.

Doesn't matter who built it they still are very expensive to fix and carry the blue oval on the grill.

The post is more about parts made in low wage countries, not about things that weren't made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Sounds like Ford's diesel, its a great engine after you spend the price of a new Corolla building what they should have shipped from the factory.

If you are talking about the 6.0L and 6.4L, Ford didn't design or build either of them, they were the product of International and those engines are the reason the partnership between Ford and International was severed and Ford is now making their diesel engines in-house.

Conveniently, they also do that with the (problem-free) Automatic transmission that is the "other option" in these cars. This Ford/Getrag Chinese joint venture has just been a disaster.

Doesn't matter who built it they still are very expensive to fix and carry the blue oval on the grill.

Sure it does, you called it "Ford's diesel" when in fact it was International's diesel, fitted to a Ford pick-up. Ford's diesel is the new(er) Scorpion engine and exists solely because of the problematic history with the last two engines that were sourced from International.

This Chinese Ford/Getrag joint venture is turning into a horror show too, whilst, as I noted, Ford's in-house transmissions are generally quite good.

These are two immediate examples of Ford powertrain component "out sourcing" and it backfiring. I assume cost is the ultimate reason but they end up with some real egg on their faces when things turn out this way.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

While I agree with the gist of your statement, these guys are only in business to make money.

They simply play the numbers. Make a zillion, most of them are okay, and a few percent may fail.

Thus the bottom line is positive.

It's not personal, it's business. Bean counters should not be so respected in the auto biz!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

While I agree with the gist of your statement, these guys are only in business to make money.

They simply play the numbers. Make a zillion, most of them are okay, and a few percent may fail.

Thus the bottom line is positive.

It's not personal, it's business. Bean counters should not be so respected in the auto biz!

But just like I told you, now the number of failures are not just a few percent but many times higher than that...this applies to all the major manufacturers, nobody denies that they are in business to make a profit, but now it has reached the point where their greed has become detrimental to making money.

I hope they have many more of their penny pinching shenangians
blow up in their faces. There is making a profit, a good profit, and then there is unabashed greed.
whistle.gif

There is making a profit, a good profit, and then there is unabashed greed.
whistle.gif

I don't think there is anyone who will argue that Ford has been making a lot of money...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back