Chevy vs. Dodge and why

Status
Not open for further replies.
No drain plugs on the Chevy transmission's in years. Not sure about the Rams. But vacuum out the dipstick tube is easy enough.

Last edited:
I really like the gen V small block engines Chevy offers. They also have a really light curb weight, almost on par with the aluminum F150.

Full disclosure....I'm a Chevy guy and I'm mentioning that bias before I say anything.

Depends on how you will use your truck. The locking rear on GM trucks is a big plus. I know the G80 isn't perfect, especially if you decide to be rough on the truck, but for basic off road etc it beats Mopar's anti-spin IMHO.

The 14+ body style is absolutely the quietest truck on the road. Dead silent. The GM 5.3 is not very thirsty. I expect head to head the 5.3 will out gas mileage the 5.7 if that is a concern. The maintenance on the 5.3 is very simple. Oil filter and drain easily accessible for example.

The Mopar does have some advantages You will find them for less $$$, almost certain. The 5.7 is more powerful unless you want to step up the 6.2 GM. I have more confidence in the Mopar 8 speed than the GM unit.

I personally would take either over the Ford product. The new F-series is by far the most expensive in my area. Not sold on aluminum. No fan of the Ecoboost for long term reliability. The DI and turbos don't speak longevity to me. The real world mileage on the Ecoboost doesn't seem to live up to the hype. The IWE problems with 4WD also is an ugly issue that has plagued Ford for a decade+. If I did the blue oval it would definitely be the 5.0.

Truth is you are the one writing the check(s) so it needs to be what you like. Drive them all. Judge for yourself. Good luck.

Last edited:
My dad has a 2015 Silverado (LT Z71), with the 5.3. It is an amazing truck! I've ridden in newer Fords and Dodges and they are all nice, but I give the edge to Chevy. With the cruise set at 62, he got 28.1 MPG on a 25 mile stretch (what the computer calculates "last 25 miles". The engine bay is fairly spacious with plenty of room to work. It's very quiet, and you don't even notice the transitions into 4-cylinder mode. The fit and finish is very good. It looks really good in white, with the black Z71 grille... Just my 2 cents, but I'd go Chevy.

Ive ridden in all the new model trucks.

The Silverado is the quietest inside the cabin and the 5.3L gets fantastic gas mileage. more expensive than a Ram, but better resale value.

The Ram 8-speed is awesome, the hemi is awesome. The ride is smooth, but it is not as quiet as the chevy. It is the cheapest.

The ford 5.0L runs decent, gets good mileage and the truck is well built. The cabin is louder than the GM trucks, and about the same as a RAM. The 5.0L doesn't have the throttle response of the DI 5.3L, but it probably pulls harder after 4k RPM.

The Ecoboost is a hoot to drive and is faster than any of the V8 Trucks. Idk if it is as reliable though. Fords are more expensive in any trim.

The Toyota Tundra is Expensive, the design is several years old and it is simply not as refined as the big three. Still a good truck, but you can buy a lot more truck from the big three for your money. The cabin is noisy like most toyota vehicles.

Drive them all and narrow it down. Rams have started to increase in sales over the last couple years because they offer excellent Factory rebates on them. The GM trucks will be a steal if you can find a leftover 15. You may find a leftover 15 ford as well if you search hard. Good luck.

Last edited:
Got the last leftover '15 in the area at Christmas time. Everybody saw the commercials and went out that week, there were almost none to be found.

F-150 is the best seller for a reason
whistle.gif

Beyond the facts, you got to look at the ethics and principles of the Brands.

Dodge is owned by "whoever" multiple times, borrows influence from Fiat, and supports "high school" rodeo association, which is an enabler, and condones appalling animal abuse and neglect.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Beyond the facts, you got to look at the ethics and principles of the Brands.

Dodge is owned by "whoever" multiple times, borrows influence from Fiat, and supports "high school" rodeo association, which is an enabler, and condones appalling animal abuse and neglect.

Ford was founded by an Anti-Semite Nazi supporter, and GM gets away with screwing over everyone, every chance it gets.

What's your point again?

BC.

The real story is Chevy vs Ford for best all around pickups. Toyota vs Dodge for everything else. Chevy and Ford will all always be the class for pickups. Dodge and Toyota will always be the runner ups. Look at longevity and that will tell you the story. Theres a reason theres a ton of old Chevys and Fords still on the road and why Chevy and Ford dominate the work truck sales. Flame suit on

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
The real story is Chevy vs Ford for best all around pickups. Toyota vs Dodge for everything else. Chevy and Ford will all always be the class for pickups. Dodge and Toyota will always be the runner ups. Look at longevity and that will tell you the story. Theres a reason theres a ton of old Chevys and Fords still on the road and why Chevy and Ford dominate the work truck sales. Flame suit on

If you are talking 1/2 ton Ram is right behind Chevy in terms of sales. I think you give way too much credit to Toyota who makes an ok truck if you want something with bad gas mileage and something designed so long ago their design team is now on Social Security......

Nothing says longevity like this...

1 million mile '07 Tundra

Originally Posted By: thunderfog

Million mile GMC Sierra:
http://wncn.com/2015/08/23/georgia-mans-truck-hits-1-million-miles/

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: thunderfog

Million mile GMC Sierra:
http://wncn.com/2015/08/23/georgia-mans-truck-hits-1-million-miles/

Fair enough. Just throwing a wrench into the assertion that Toyota lacks longevity.

The statement from Chevy is just too vague. I'm not a Chevy hater by any means... I love the new Colorados (but not the GDI 3.6L even though I opted for the long-in-the-tooth Tacoma) and my favorite vehicle I've owned to date is my '98 Dakota. But the statement lacks all kinds of necessary details needed to make such a claim. Mid size trucks, numbers of newer models on used car lots, repair trends/costs, etc etc etc. Not just longevity.

If you are truly on the fence with what brand you want, try researching the best dealers in your area, instead. A bad dealer will quickly lead to buyers remorse, even with the best vehicles.

Ford compete with Vauxhall over here, which is a sub division of GM.
They compete because their cars are similarly priced, similarly built, and similarly rubbish.

OMG. Another thread?

Here's how you buy a truck. Look at them. Drive them, take one overnight at least. When we shopped our favorite dealer brought us new trucks. We kept them up to three days each. No 20 minute test drives!

Familiarize yourself with your own NEEDS, not wants. Few folks have any need for their brag-worthy payloads or towing specs in the real world.

We ended up with a RAM. Not because it was cheaper, not because it was rated to tow a home or haul 12 pallets of sod, but because it was a truck that was fun to drive. And since my Wife has already put 30k completely trouble free miles on it we do drive it indeed. Our overall mileage since purchase is just shy of 18 mpg on 87 octane fuel.

Ramboxes were another nice touch. So is the amazing locking cargo divider they give you. The entire truck suits our needs nearly perfectly.

Be sure your choice is as satisfying to you!

To be fair, GMC + Chevy (almost exactly the same truck) sell more trucks than Ford does. It's that they are under different brands, but combined they sell more than Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back