Chevy Colorado Truck of year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Quote "The Ford F-150 didn't win because, although its all-aluminum construction is revolutionary, that didn't translate to improvements that customers would notice, Loh said. The truck is quicker and gets slightly better fuel economy than other trucks, he said, but the gains aren't huge."

I guess aluminum bombed after all.... The resale on aluminum F150's gonna be very bad.

If Motor Trend has an impact on value, can you explain why the Ram is the most affordable truck after winning back to back MTTOY awards and the Chevy and Ford are the most expensive?

I was at a Ford dealer when a 15 F150 was being delivered and was able to sit in it and look it over. 4 door, 4WD, 3.5 Ecoboost, $48,500. Very nice looking truck.

$48,500 for a truck!?! Thats more than I owe on my house. Most expensive truck I have ever bought was $16500 and that new.

Everything goes up. Natural consequence of inflation. The Fed supposedly is going to (somehow) keep us at 2% inflation, thus, it stands to reason that we ought to expect vehicle prices to rise at... 2% each year. 'cept for when they decontent to keep prices flat. Or in the cases of trucks (or any desirable vehicle) to find reasons to pump up the price.

I'm pretty happy with my bare bones truck. Ok, I'm a bit spoiled by the BT for the phone; and the other day a good piece of music came on the radio--and for the first time I wondered if the base audio system was as good as it could be. But meh. Base equipment is pretty good these days; and for the cost of vehicle replacement one can do an aweful lot of repairs.

But yeah, I'm not paying $50k for a truck. $20k hurt enough as it did.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Thanks Miller;
That doesn't surprise me, and I believe it.
I always found that when you work a little engine hard they are not fuel efficient and wear out
prematurely.
Overheating could be another issue with the 4 banger, climbing 14% grades at slow speeds on hot days.
Anything turbo charged gets poor fuel economy because of the fun factor and would add to the overheating risk.
The little Colorado has to be off-road capable or they can keep it.

It's a truck. It is tested. The 4 cylinder will last.

That was a 2012 truck inflation not that high!

If that was new then it was not remotely similar to a $50k truck. Four doors, 4WD, high end engine. IIRC you have a base V6/4spd auto, regular cab long bed? A no-options, no-frills work truck. Which is fine but isn't the highly-demanded crewcab setup with its attendent higher costs due to higher desirability.

I want to say you got yours used too... but my memory ain't what it used to be.

If you call 30k miles lasting...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: used_0il
Thanks Miller;
That doesn't surprise me, and I believe it.
I always found that when you work a little engine hard they are not fuel efficient and wear out
prematurely.
Overheating could be another issue with the 4 banger, climbing 14% grades at slow speeds on hot days.
Anything turbo charged gets poor fuel economy because of the fun factor and would add to the overheating risk.
The little Colorado has to be off-road capable or they can keep it.

It's a truck. It is tested. The 4 cylinder will last.

Its a LS package not the base. Still does not justify $48000.

Originally Posted By: supton
That was a 2012 truck inflation not that high!

If that was new then it was not remotely similar to a $50k truck. Four doors, 4WD, high end engine. IIRC you have a base V6/4spd auto, regular cab long bed? A no-options, no-frills work truck. Which is fine but isn't the highly-demanded crewcab setup with its attendent higher costs due to higher desirability.

I want to say you got yours used too... but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Don't expect the GM 4 cylinder to last. My last GM 4 cylinder lasted only 60,000 miles.

What year was that?
What motor?
Welcome to 2014, that motor will be just fine. Look at all the S-10s with a 4-cyl still plugging along.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Every single truck thread...

Yep... the same thing happens. Over and over again.

2.2 ecotec

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Don't expect the GM 4 cylinder to last. My last GM 4 cylinder lasted only 60,000 miles.

What year was that?
What motor?
Welcome to 2014, that motor will be just fine. Look at all the S-10s with a 4-cyl still plugging along.

Yup, the consumer is used as a beta tester over and over...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Every single truck thread...

Yep... the same thing happens. Over and over again.

Yeah ...

I think we had better go back to flathead v8s on everything.

There has never, ever, been a single 4 cylinder engine to make it over 30K miles.

You really think a 4 cylinder engine in a truck weighing 5000lbs pulling a 7500lbs load gonna last? right....

Last edited:
You really think a 4 cylinder engine in a truck weighing 5000lbs pulling a 7500lbs load gonna last? right....

They can be built pretty tough and tuned to be idiot proof. We towed ~2500lbs of Uhaul trailer and junk almost 3000 miles at what seemed an average of 1/2 throttle in my Tracker when it was new. An uphill on the interstate into a headwind needed 3rd gear at 5000rpm for a few minutes to keep up 50-55mph at times and 4th was used quite a bit too. I wouldn't do it again unless I really had too, but the motor is fine, and is on its way to 200k miles.

What were Detroit 4-53's used on?

No.
Because...

Well first off the 2.5 is not going to be rated to tow 7500lbs. That is what my 35 foot travel trailer weighs.
If you are expecting that out of a 4cyl anything, I have some ocean front property in Kansas I want to sell you.
Right tool for the right job.
It is rated to tow 3500lbs. It is 200 HP and 191 ft/lbs of torque.
Curb weight is 4100 lbs, Payload is right around 1500lbs.

The 3.6 is 305 HP and 269 ft/lbs of torque.

That maybe one of the most ridiculous comebacks I have read on here.

I agree your comeback is pretty bad! If they could not make it last in a car that did no towing how they gonna do it in a truck that tows?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back