Chevy Colorado Truck of year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Like I said before you can not compare airplanes to cars. Cars are operated in a much harsher conditions by untrained people, some who do no maintenance at all unlike an airplane. Cars have to be over engineered to take the abuse. Right now they are being under engineered.

I disagree.

The airplane routinely operates in -65 degree temps, with the entire structure under the strain of pressure differential and aerodynamic loads. Airplanes are exposed to chemicals, to corrosion, to extremes of temperature, to stretch and compression of the entire structure, and they are far harder to inspect than cars. They can't be over engineered because of weight.

Driving down a road, even a rough road, is a far simpler operating environment. Car engineers simply overbuild the structure. Simple structures with simple engineering.

Last edited:
I wouldn't own an aluminum-body truck simply because I do not even want to think about what repairs might cost after even a minor fender-bender.

If you are wasting you time then don't post.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Like I said before you can not compare airplanes to cars. Cars are operated in a much harsher conditions by untrained people, some who do no maintenance at all unlike an airplane. Cars have to be over engineered to take the abuse. Right now they are being under engineered.

I am wasting my time here, it is an aluminum body(what maintenance?), the ecoboost has been out for over 5 years now(no widespread major issues and its reliability is on par with MDS, AFM V8) this means it is very reliable, the F150 is Ford's cash cow. Ford is not going to risk taking a major possibly crippling hit by just throwing gunk against the wall hoping it will stick.

BTW your Model A pickup has had its 100 mile maintenance service and is ready for you to pick up and it will only cost 39.99 plus tax.

If you are wasting you time then don't post.

Don't worry. I enjoy defying logic and the laws of nature.

How is that proven yet a over complicated Model A pickup working out? It has been nearly 2 hours since its last service and it is due for another check up.

Actually my uncle has a Model T from his father. Runs great never been rebuilt. But I am sure you are referring to my Silverado. Yes, my all iron block steel frame is running great and getting 23+ MPG.

By the way I started this post in a nice way. You have dragged it down in the mud. Hope you are happy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06

The new F150 doesn't have an aluminum frame! The frame is still steel, only the body is aluminum!

He has never let facts ruin his disinformation campaign. He is also trotting out the old tired line about being disrespectful, etc.

Some things never change...

Last edited:
Speaking for the demographic that simply wants something a little smaller...my '05 Sport Trac has been the perfect vehicle for me in terms of size and capability. I don't haul sheet rock, and when I haul plywood, I have it pre-cut so it'll fit in the bed. I mainly haul plants, soil and furniture....easily managed in a smaller truck. I've driven plenty of Silverados and F-150s, and they're just a pain to navigate tight parking lots. And the morons that built all the houses in my development skimped on the garages and a crew cab F150 won't allow me to close my garage door.

The time is coming for a replacement, and so far, the Colorado fits the bill. Hate what Toyota has done to the Tacoma since 2003 and I owned (and hated) a '06 Frontier. One more bonus: The oil filter is mounted on top of that 3.6!

By the way I started this post in a nice way. You have dragged it down in the mud. Hope you are happy.

Actually post accurate information. Problem solved.

Why don't you post somewhere else. PROBLEM SOLVED.

You post its gonna last 200k miles no problem. So you POST accurate info yourself!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I wouldn't own an aluminum-body truck simply because I do not even want to think about what repairs might cost after even a minor fender-bender.

This is a huge issue. If the entire auto industry went to
mostly aluminum it would drastically drop the cost of
aluminium body repairs, but for now it is going to cost PLENTY.

Another problem is that there can be cross contamination in the body shop were aluminum and steel filings can drop on the other surface and result in corrosion right from the moment the car is being repaired.

aluminum body panel is a whole lot different than aluminum frames..

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Don't worry I won't be buying a aluminum truck put together with glue and rivets...

Aluminum has been used on vehicles for quite some time actually. I see plenty of 10+ year old vehicles with aluminum body panels running around with no corrosion whatsoever. I live in the rust belt too.

Clarification

Also aluminum welding has many heath hazards, fumes, etc and difficult to do.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

This is a huge issue. If the entire auto industry went to
mostly aluminum it would drastically drop the cost of
aluminium body repairs, but for now it is going to cost PLENTY.

Another problem is that there can be cross contamination in the body shop were aluminum and steel filings can drop on the other surface and result in corrosion right from the moment the car is being repaired.

Last edited:
It's kind of good for Upstate NY economy!

My concern is EVERY Explorer, Freestyle/Taurus X, Early Expedition and 97-04 F150 have their hood just disintegrating.

Myself, I don't compare aviation engineering very much to surface transportation. Ford is taking a risk, but it's probably more of a marketing risk than engineering at this point-but good for them. I doubt they'll be too much hel-iarc work going on with thin alluminum sheet-probably body panel adhesives. I recall some alluminum hoods like a '95 Riviera and my wife's '93 Grand Cherokee that was a Jeep test for a 'plastic' hood=her's is in 'as new' condition all these years later. I was sorry to see the Ranger go away, but kinda like the Colorado

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I like how they are trying to bring back small trucks, but they are repeating history.

The fuel efficiency gains are not enough to warrant buying smaller over full-size, they are still the size of a full-size truck that was produced 10 years ago, and they are only a few thousand dollars cheaper than a full-size.

I want a Honda Civic with an 8ft bed. Better yet, I want a Subaru Outback with an 8ft bed.

Toyota has it right, a tiny little 4 cylinder run-around that can fit a 4x8 sheet in the bed with the tail-gate up. I can fill the bed with materials and hardware and it works great. Residential materials aren't that heavy, and that's what people buy small trucks for.

The four cylinder is a 2.7L which isn't on the tiny side for a four.

It's the smallest engine you can get in a truck in the US (All of North America, too, I believe). Until ford releases their 2.7L ecoboost.

What I mean't by little was the truck itself is the smallest in the US.

You don't need a step ladder to get something off the lumber rack, and you don't have to stand on the back wheel to reach over the bed rails.

Pretty sure the Frontier has a 2.5

Originally Posted By: CT8
Motortrend? truck of the year? BFD.

LOL Motor Trend. Journalism for sale to the highest bidder. Colorado might be truck of the year on a different planet, but not this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back