Chevy Colorado Truck of year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
They still make Chevy Colorados?

Thought everyone forgot about those along with Hummers (hello H3.)

It was dropped for '13 and '14, then brought back as an all new model. No more Atlas engines. The only thing it really has in common with the first generation of Colorado is that Isuzu played a role in the development of both trucks, and it was released for the Southeast Asian market first, as that is where the bulk of its sales will be.

The new Colorado is a nice, if nearly full size pickup. Certainly nicer than the first Colorado was. Only time will tell if reliability is better than the first gen, which had issues with everything from cylinder heads to various plastic bits that were sub par.

That said, the most remarkable things about the new Colorado are 1) that it exists in the US at all and 2) that the price is actually pretty reasonable. They are considerably less expensive than similar Silverados, about $5-6K lower MSRP, and not just for base models. You can get a nice LT crew cab for $30K, and supposedly it will still get a couple more MPG than a Silverado on the highway.

Once the newness wears off a bit, I could see WT models with power windows/locks, I4, and auto selling for $20K new, which would be a pretty good bargain these days.

I don't put any weight in a Motor Trend TOTY comparo though. TOTY is always kind of a joke...lets compare a bunch of dissimilar models with widely varying prices and call one a winner. A comparison between a midsize truck, a full size 1/2 ton, and 3/4-1 ton pickups is kind of silly. What MT says is no indication of if the F-150 will bomb or not. The only thing I have to dislike about the F-150 so far is its huge size and Ford's increasingly bizarre styling.

I thought the advantage of aluminum was that it would not rust??

If you're in the north east, that is a huge selling point.

I like that the F-150 is almost 700lbs lighter.

I'm failing to see the disadvantage in an all aluminum body?

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I like how they are trying to bring back small trucks, but they are repeating history.

The fuel efficiency gains are not enough to warrant buying smaller over full-size, they are still the size of a full-size truck that was produced 10 years ago, and they are only a few thousand dollars cheaper than a full-size.

I want a Honda Civic with an 8ft bed. Better yet, I want a Subaru Outback with an 8ft bed.

Toyota has it right, a tiny little 4 cylinder run-around that can fit a 4x8 sheet in the bed with the tail-gate up. I can fill the bed with materials and hardware and it works great. Residential materials aren't that heavy, and that's what people buy small trucks for.

The four cylinder is a 2.7L which isn't on the tiny side for a four.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I like how they are trying to bring back small trucks, but they are repeating history.

The fuel efficiency gains are not enough to warrant buying smaller over full-size, they are still the size of a full-size truck that was produced 10 years ago, and they are only a few thousand dollars cheaper than a full-size.

I want a Honda Civic with an 8ft bed. Better yet, I want a Subaru Outback with an 8ft bed.

Toyota has it right, a tiny little 4 cylinder run-around that can fit a 4x8 sheet in the bed with the tail-gate up. I can fill the bed with materials and hardware and it works great. Residential materials aren't that heavy, and that's what people buy small trucks for.

The four cylinder is a 2.7L which isn't on the tiny side for a four.

It's the smallest engine you can get in a truck in the US (All of North America, too, I believe). Until ford releases their 2.7L ecoboost.

What I mean't by little was the truck itself is the smallest in the US.

You don't need a step ladder to get something off the lumber rack, and you don't have to stand on the back wheel to reach over the bed rails.

How can they rate trucks you can't really buy yet?

I can see the Ram or Silverado because they have been out and people are actually buying and using them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
How can they rate trucks you can't really buy yet?

I can see the Ram or Silverado because they have been out and people are actually buying and using them.

They are available to the press for test drives.

Aluminum will corrode after a period of time under the right conditions. But the main problem is the material’s used to connect the steel components to the aluminum. A dissimilar metal causes a bigger corrosion problem they have not solved yet. This is not a solid Aluminum frame, they use rivets and glue. Combine that with ecoboost, DI new transmissions and you have a maintenance nightmare. I will take steel for now.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
I thought the advantage of aluminum was that it would not rust??

If you're in the north east, that is a huge selling point.

I like that the F-150 is almost 700lbs lighter.

I'm failing to see the disadvantage in an all aluminum body?

Doesn't steel rust faster than aluminum corrodes?

Either way OP, I see you live in Louisiana. I wouldn't worry either way.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Don't worry I won't be buying a aluminum truck put together with glue and rivets...

Aluminum has been used on vehicles for quite some time actually. I see plenty of 10+ year old vehicles with aluminum body panels running around with no corrosion whatsoever. I live in the rust belt too.

aluminum body panel is a whole lot different than aluminum frames..

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Don't worry I won't be buying a aluminum truck put together with glue and rivets...

Aluminum has been used on vehicles for quite some time actually. I see plenty of 10+ year old vehicles with aluminum body panels running around with no corrosion whatsoever. I live in the rust belt too.

The new F150 doesn't have an aluminum frame! The frame is still steel, only the body is aluminum!

Originally Posted By: jayg
I like the diesel option is coming and that you can still get it with a manual transmission. Why I was shopping earlier this year I went with the Jeep but had the F150 or Silverado come in a work truck manual transmission package with nothing but 4wd as an option I would have gone with that.

The diesel option will net over 30 mpg highway and the gas 4 cyl will get high 20's. Thats significantly better than driving an loaded fullsize truck around getting 18 regularly.

Really? We will be able to get diesel manual transmission?

Yeah, don't buy any truck that's put together the way airplanes are...that new-fangled technology...pioneered in the 1930s...just won't work...after all airplanes only fly for 50+ years and millions of miles.

You're right to fear new things...

Like I said before you can not compare airplanes to cars. Cars are operated in a much harsher conditions by untrained people, some who do no maintenance at all unlike an airplane. Cars have to be over engineered to take the abuse. Right now they are being under engineered.

As was already mentioned, the new F150 has a steel frame and aluminum body. Don't believe it? Just go look at Ford's own F150 site that has this to say:

"High-strength, military grade, aluminum-alloy body and high-strength steel frame for less weight yet greater strength"

Nothing new in the frame department here...

Not from what I am reading...

Well what you've been reading is wrong. The frame is not aluminum.

Like I said before you can not compare airplanes to cars. Cars are operated in a much harsher conditions by untrained people, some who do no maintenance at all unlike an airplane. Cars have to be over engineered to take the abuse. Right now they are being under engineered.

I am wasting my time here, it is an aluminum body(what maintenance?), the ecoboost has been out for over 5 years now(no widespread major issues and its reliability is on par with MDS, AFM V8) this means it is very reliable, the F150 is Ford's cash cow. Ford is not going to risk taking a major possibly crippling hit by just throwing gunk against the wall hoping it will stick.

BTW your Model A pickup has had its 100 mile maintenance service and is ready for you to pick up and it will only cost 39.99 plus tax.

They are? How? I'm asking engineering-wise, of course.

And nothing has to be over-engineered, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back