Chevy Colorado Truck of year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was to understand that aluminum bodied vehicles (like the NSX, Audis,Jaguars...) have to have body repairs performed in an aluminum repair facility. That you have to use an entirely separate set of tools that have never been used on steel bodied cars to prevent galvanic corrosion.

So, what does the F-150 have that the Europeans and Japanese do not on thier aluminum bodies? Or do you have to take your F-150 to an Audi shop to have bodywork done?

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I was to understand that aluminum bodied vehicles (like the NSX, Audis,Jaguars...) have to have body repairs performed in an aluminum repair facility. That you have to use an entirely separate set of tools that have never been used on steel bodied cars to prevent galvanic corrosion.

So, what does the F-150 have that the Europeans and Japanese do not on thier aluminum bodies? Or do you have to take your F-150 to an Audi shop to have bodywork done?

I have posted this before. You need a TON of special tools and it is a huge investment...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/foils-gold-body-shops-weighing-aluminum-repair-face-a-steep-buy-in/

So how have body shops dealt with aluminum hoods and deck lids for the past 20 plus years? If it's a newer car, the panel probably just gets replaced. If its older, who cares. I think the shops will adapt in time. It's not like the day the new F150 goes on sale, the bull pen will be full of new F150's with the sides taken out. Semi truck cabs have been aluminum for decades, with plenty of repair shops doing fine with it. It probably is a reason for minor concern, perhaps not to the level of hysteria that will surely give the insurance companies an excuse to gouge.

Bolt-on panels are simply replaced...but do you really want to replace the bed for a 6" parking-lot scrape? Do you want to replace a whole CAB for a crease in the B-pillar?

I agree on shops adapting in time.

If a few negative speculations are whats holding us back, we have no chance of being innovative in the future.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Bolt-on panels are simply replaced...but do you really want to replace the bed for a 6" parking-lot scrape? Do you want to replace a whole CAB for a crease in the B-pillar?

Most minor dents, dings and creases can be dealt with through paintless dent repair. It's amazing what a real pro in that line of work can do and they've already been dealing with hail damage to aluminum hoods for many years.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00

I guess aluminum bombed after all.... The resale on aluminum F150's gonna be very bad.

The new colorado ZR2 concept with the mini duramax seems pretty awesome.

What amazes me is fairly baseless comments about Aluminum trucks bombing.

HD trucks use all manner of materials, and many of the smller trucks never get used that heavy anyway. It sure seems like a good design mix, assuming it saves weight, gas, and ford can still turn a profit.

The real hummer1 was aluminum I believe.....they have held up pretty well!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: jayg
I like the diesel option is coming and that you can still get it with a manual transmission. Why I was shopping earlier this year I went with the Jeep but had the F150 or Silverado come in a work truck manual transmission package with nothing but 4wd as an option I would have gone with that.

The diesel option will net over 30 mpg highway and the gas 4 cyl will get high 20's. Thats significantly better than driving an loaded fullsize truck around getting 18 regularly.

Really? We will be able to get diesel manual transmission?

Just order one dude..

You walk in with 20 - 30 thousand dollars in your pocket, they better bend over backwards to get you what you want.
If they say no, ask about a glider. If they say no, go elsewhere!

Originally Posted By: jayg
The diesel option will net over 30 mpg highway and the gas 4 cyl will get high 20's. Thats significantly better than driving an loaded fullsize truck around getting 18 regularly.

How so? We'll use the Ram Ecodiesel as it's a close competitor to the F150 that has a Diesel engine.

The 2.7 is getting in the low to mid 20's for MPG #'s from the mags. According to Fuelly, the Ram Ecodiesel is averaging 23.1 ( http://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/1500?engineconfig_id=8453&bodystyleconfig_id=&submodel_id= )

Just today around here:
Regular: $2.73
Diesel: $3.34

Add in the $4k uncharge for a Diesel and then the $80-100+ oil changes... ( http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/3289-%24%7E80-00-diy-oil-change.html )

I just fail to see a reasonable payback for the Diesel when the cost to acquire, cost to run, and cost to maintain is so much higher. Perhaps if Diesel were at least close to gas it would be a good choice but it seems about on par or more expensive.

The argument of diesel costing more up front is irrelevant considering they hold their value substantially better than a gas counter part with the same options And you will get your money back upon the sale of the vehicle. I paid 10k for my 98 with 67k miles, now with well over double the mileage and 4 years later, I could easily sell it for what I paid for it. I couldn't do that with the gasser equivelant of my truck.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
You mean to tell me that will work when the panel has a SCRAPE down to the metal? Pablum.

Isn't that what touch up paint is for?

Eventually the price of repairing aluminum bodies will come down to acceptable levels.

Just imagine what it would cost if computer scan tools cost as much now as they did in the 1980s!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

I have posted this before. You need a TON of special tools and it is a huge investment...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/foils-gold-body-shops-weighing-aluminum-repair-face-a-steep-buy-in/

Huge is right not to mention the body men with the skills to do the work. There is no such thing as good enough when refinishing aluminum.
The dent wizard guys are already saying 2-3 times more time to do the jobs and they might not be as good a repair.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
The argument of diesel costing more up front is irrelevant considering they hold their value substantially better than a gas counter part with the same options And you will get your money back upon the sale of the vehicle. I paid 10k for my 98 with 67k miles, now with well over double the mileage and 4 years later, I could easily sell it for what I paid for it. I couldn't do that with the gasser equivelant of my truck.

According to your sig you have a 98. A 17 year old truck. Any depreciation on it has most likely bottomed out as well. And you have one that is in "high demand" as it has none of the new emissions controls on it as well a buyers think Cummins are gold....

But the trucks better have a higher residual value - you pay more for them!

Still not convinced Diesel is worth it - the math doesn't make sense for most users. Hybrids are similar.

The up front cost versus resale value issue on diesel vs gas is all a moot point when diesel prices are what they are relative to gas. Filled up tonight for 2.44 a gallon. The diesel pump was 3.98 a gallon. That was high, but even at the competitive stations diesel is running 1.20 a gallon more a gallon right now. Going to have to get 50% better gas mileage to even break even on fuel mileage.

The Colorado is on my short list, but waiting a year for the Diesel option likely won't happen.
Question; I have at least 4 sets of 15 and 16 inch 6 bolt wheels and tires that came off Toyota
trucks, all aftermarket steel and alloy.
All sorts of tires too, 31/10.50/15 and 265/75/16s that should fit the Colorado with little fuss.

The new 4.3 V6 never happened in the little truck. Too bad.
What is the best engine currently available based on experience?
The Toyota 22R engines lasted about 250,000 miles, but were not exactly fuel economy champions.
Is the GM 4 cylinder comparable when worked hard, therefor better off with a V6?

The price spread between gasoline and Diesel is about 15% in Canada today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't expect the GM 4 cylinder to last. My last GM 4 cylinder lasted only 60,000 miles.

Last edited:
Thanks Miller;
That doesn't surprise me, and I believe it.
I always found that when you work a little engine hard they are not fuel efficient and wear out
prematurely.
Overheating could be another issue with the 4 banger, climbing 14% grades at slow speeds on hot days.
Anything turbo charged gets poor fuel economy because of the fun factor and would add to the overheating risk.
The little Colorado has to be off-road capable or they can keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back