check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, because a public university from a state that has a vast energy industry doesnt have any bias either?

If the opposite result came from a university in Massachusetts or Illinois, would the belief level be the same?

Even if fracturing rock causes no underlying issues, and even if river water and beach sand was used, Id still be concerned about the other chemicals.

Can we denounce the issues associated with MTBE because chemicals dont seem to be transiting in the water system?

Dont get me wrong, Im pro energy, pro drill, but Im also pro high efficiency and anti chemicals in my backyard.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Right, because a public university from a state that has a vast energy industry doesnt have any bias either?

If the opposite result came from a university in Massachusetts or Illinois, would the belief level be the same?

I don't think you know too much about Austin or about the university here.

The University of Texas at Austin is pretty liberal. In fact the Supreme Court just agreed to hear a case against the school's race based admission policies. (brought by a white plaintiff).

Quote:
The study was performed by the University of Texas' Energy Institute and was completely funded by the university "so it was not dependent on sources either from the energy community or the environmental community," Groat said. The Environmental Defense Fund "also assisted in developing the scope of work and methodology for the study," according to a university press release.

I am in a dept. at a university in a state that has tobacco as a major crop and source of income for the state. We don't spit out studies proclaiming that smoking isn't harmful. You give the researchers too little credit in their ability to conduct valid research.

These results coincide with other rationale I've seen about fracking. That is, it can't influence groundwater directly because it happens below the groundwater. If methane gets into the water it is because of other things.

I'm sure they have bias, but is this what we have been pushed into in 2012? Rather than checking facts, we just put them in some category?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I'm sure they have bias, but is this what we have been pushed into in 2012? Rather than checking facts, we just put them in some category?

No, youre absolutey right - we should not push into some generic category (as I did).

That said, I dont have basis to trust any of this stuff any more, and despite the comments above about the nature of Austin and the University versus the state of TX, I think most of us have learned not to bite the hand that feeds you.

I fund enough University research to know that there is good, and bad work that comes from the various places. Ill be visiting UTA in a few weeks in fact on other stuff.

Not saying that any place is good or bad, right or wrong. Just saying to take it all with a grain of salt.

I dont have basis to trust any of this stuff any more..... I think most of us have learned not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Well that is true. And you do need to look at the source and reputation. I mean especially some of this "research" that is nothing but a one room office firing out news releases, which are really just some org's propaganda.

The article reports a finding that is already well-known by those of us who are in the field: Frac'ing of deep reservoirs is not a hazard to the aquifers that humans use, but the wastewater disposal can be. A rare exception might be instances where wellbores are incorrectly cased.

Regarding bias, I work at a left-coast private university and we all knew this already.

Agreed. I didn't present it as new info, I brought it up because it is in direct conflict with what the "greenies" are always saying in my area and on BITOG.

Plus it appeared to be genuine and unbiased, which is quite rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back