Cellphone into wired home network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Looking to do just this... Drop Verizon's high cost for wired phone service, add another 9.99 line to my cell service and then inject that into my home wired network.

Is that how magic jack works btw?

I want two things:
-able to keep my home phone number
-able to dial over my legacy wired phones in my inside home phone system.

I'd prefer for the connectivity to be over a wired connection To the cell or similar interface. In other words I dont want another wireless network irradiating the house (or bluetooth) if I can avoid it.

I have an old iPhone that I can use. Otherwise as a home number hub it would be neat to get one of those Samsung tablet note phones, and use it to browse over wifi if I can buy one without data plan.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Get a second line on your cell phone plan for $10/month or whatever. Hook it up to a cheap cell phone (one of the freebies). You can port your old home phone number over to that cell.

Or port your number into Vonage or some other VoIP service. Check with your cable provider and see if they offer that -- Comcast does and it's not much money.

300 minutes for $11 Vonage service (which after all the "fees" and "taxes" ends up being $18). Wire it into your existing home.

I'm not aware of any adapter from Cell to wired.

All of those fees/taxes are the reason why I don't do contracts or wired anymore. I pay x and thats it.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Looking to do just this... Drop Verizon's high cost for wired phone service, add another 9.99 line to my cell service and then inject that into my home wired network.

I want two things:

I'd prefer for the connectivity to be over a wired connection To the cell or similar interface. In other words I dont want another wireless network irradiating the house (or bluetooth) if I can avoid it.

I have an old iPhone that I can use. Otherwise as a home number hub it would be neat to get one of those Samsung tablet note phones, and use it to browse over wifi if I can buy one without data plan.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't know about keeping your home number, but I do know a lot of higher end cordless home phones, like those made by Panasonic, offer bluetooth so you can use them when you get a call on a cell phone.

Don't worry about the "signal". It will do NOTHING to you. It's a low band and there is next to no juice powering it. Bluetooth is like a cookie crumb compared to the FM/AM/Cell Phone/Sat/ect. . . waves surrounding us every day. And even those things are not an issue.

I want two things:

magicJack Plus does let you hook regular phones or cordless base unit to it. It can hook to a router port on your home network after setup. Initial etup does use a USB on a PC.

Porting a number is I think $20, plus an extra $10 per year. Search will give a lot of info.

Been using Skype for 5 years. $3 a month plus # = $60 a year + the one time purchase of a Skype DECT cordless phone. Skype has voicemail, call forwarding, etc. They have other devices that turn a standard phone into VoIP as well. Whatever you decide, what you want is something that runs VoIP firmaware on its own, plugging directly into the router. Then you need a decent internet connection (at least 1mb up) and the use of QoS on the router for sound quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
300 minutes for $11 Vonage service (which after all the "fees" and "taxes" ends up being $18). Wire it into your existing home.

I'm not aware of any adapter from Cell to wired.

All of those fees/taxes are the reason why I don't do contracts or wired anymore. I pay x and thats it.

Take care, Bill

Those fees are what I want to avoid, or at least not pay twice.

If I want to pay $18, I'll keep Verizon. I figured I might save some of the taxes and fees im currently paying by just adding a cell line.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Get a second line on your cell phone plan for $10/month or whatever. Hook it up to a cheap cell phone (one of the freebies). You can port your old home phone number over to that cell.

Or port your number into Vonage or some other VoIP service. Check with your cable provider and see if they offer that -- Comcast does and it's not much money.

I don't have cable and never will pay for commercials. If I did business with Comcast it would be for naked Internet service which is $19.99/month... Which is actually why I'm thinking about all this stuff.

But my requirement isnt just to have another cell with my home number, but rather to be able to integrate it into my wired service inside... So I need that interface.

Magicjack will let you forward your incoming calls to your cell. They are fair as far as fees go; more fair than most other telcos. You can cut your phone line at the network interface then backfeed any phone outlet from the MJ and all the phones will work.

MJ had been working on a VOIP "femtocell" where a gadget in your house was your own cell tower and using it didn't count against your cell minutes. It stalled in regulatory approval.

There used to be a cell-to-home-line system called "metro teleconnect" but it was meant for ghetto dwellers. Ads on TV prattled on about how you didn't have to pay your old phone bill off. I think they died when VOIP took off.

Or port your number to Google Voice and use an Obihai or Ooma device to connect, no monthly charges at all. There are some drawbacks but if you already have a cell phone the issues (such as no 911 unless you pay for it) are less important.

VoIP needs a fair amount of bandwidth to function reliably. I suppose its cheap enough to try, if you have issues like echoing, lost connections, etc. you will know its a bandwidth issue.

I'm really not interested in VoIP or some other carrier with more fees.

I have a cell plan, so pay this garbage once. It seems like some of these fees I'm paying twice because I'm using two carriers.

So really I want the cellphone to interface to the copper lines in my house and be my service. Some manufacturers sell bases and handsets that you plug a cell into and that becomes your phone. I want something like that but that is just a signal generator on the copper service in my house, so the cell is my service and then the other phones can talk through it.

It looks like XLINK has a Bluetooth gateway that does exactly what I want.

Verizon has a $9.99 extra-line + whatever fees service for your home. It uses cell reception and you simply plug into a phone jack and it "backfeeds" the phone connection to your home. If you have good signal it works quite well.

Probably not interested but you can get cordless phones(panasonic) that use BlueTooth to connect a cell phone or two cell phones.

Also I know some one using this and quite happy with results: http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PhoneLynx-Connection-BT-215/dp/B0043D2IBE

That all being said I still use Comcast's Internet and Phone plan as I work from home. Unless you have perfect conditions cell is just cruddy compared to Comast's service albeit $$$$.

The cobra unit looks interesting but it Is only for pairing ONE cell to ONE legacy phone.

This:

http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Technologies-BT-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B00135XU7Q/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Interfaces the cell to the phone network in the home.

Read the reviews of the cobra and they are hooking up into the home and using more than ONE phone.

It also works with 2 cell phones (pairing to cell and prob only handles one call at a time I'm sure)

I'll let you know how it works.
grin2.gif

Bill

PS: Just looked on the Cobra web site. The following is on the FAQ;

Quote:
Can I use the PhoneLynx™ to feed many phones throughout the home or office?
The PhoneLynx™ is designed to feed a phone signal to 3 standard home phones or 10 complete wireless home phone systems (base units plus handsets). This will handle many more than most home phone systems have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back