T-Mobile Home Internet

I think Verizon's biggest reason for going to indoor ONTs is they got in trouble for not properly grounding their outdoor ONTs, since with an internal ONT all you need is fiber going in and that doesn't need grounded unlike the outdoor ONTs with electronic inside and different types of copper cables going out of it. I have to say I kind of like Verizon's approach to TV, I think using a different wavelength on the fiber to carry an HFC signal to carry video and be able to use existing CATV video equipment was a pretty good idea at the time, now IPTV works well but in the beginning Verizon was using APON/BPON and I'm not sure if they were even giving a full OC-12 of backhaul to each OLT and there probably wasn't enough bandwidth for IPTV yet.

ONT stands for Optical Network Terminal not Outdoor.

In the early days, regulations required a battery back-up so that phone calls (especially 911) could be made during a power outage. This is no longer the case.

ONT stands for Optical Network Terminal not Outdoor.

In the early days, regulations required a battery back-up so that phone calls (especially 911) could be made during a power outage. This is no longer the case.
Yup, cable was the same way, if you switched to Cogeco phone here for example, they provided a modem with a built-in battery backup so that the phone still worked when the power went out. Looks like that requirement has since been waived however.

Here's a common old-school Bell install:
1702857544999.jpg

Back