Castrol Euro 5W-40 SP in the wild

SN everywhere I've seen it. And since it's usually the same price as the 0W-40 (also SN) at places like Wally, thats just kinda meh. I'll wait for the SP and see what approvals it carries.

IMG_9948.jpeg
IMG_9947.jpeg

Excellent.

I stopped by my WM last week...half the Edge 5W-40 bottles are the SN version and the other half are... SL.

Normally I would think it is very (very) old stock, but it's got the 'carbon neutral' branding which is from recent years. Also interestingly doesn't have Porsche A40 approval and I can't recall a time when Castrol 5W-40 wasn't on the A40 approved list.

PXL_20230727_033630633.jpeg
PXL_20230727_033357379.jpeg

Last edited:
The zddp levels in the 5w30 are too high for SP thus the SL its current as you noted. I don’t know if a 30 grade can meet A40 or not.

i am reading forums from owners from many manufacturers and i have to say that people still insist that the 5-40 is the ideal grade for their car.why people still insist on that oil?

The zddp levels in the 5w30 are too high for SP thus the SL its current as you noted. I don’t know if a 30 grade can meet A40 or not.
I bought castrol euro 5w30 from Napa auto and it's API SP

Made in USA

Attachments

• castrolback.jpg
    castrolback.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 74
  • castrolfront.jpg
    castrolfront.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 76
Just got my free-shipping delivery from WallyWorld, both are SP. Just waiting on the $20 rebate. WallyWorld mail-order giving Amazon a run for its money.

if your audi says a 40 then its the right for you.

i was generally speaking ,nothing personal.most of the car owners who do normal use ,that their constructor suggests 5-30 ,think that is not enough and they look for a 5-40 for better protection.

midwest or not ,ambient temperature has nothing to do with the second number 30 or 40.

if your audi says a 40 then its the right for you.

i was generally speaking ,nothing personal.most of the car owners who do normal use ,that their constructor suggests 5-30 ,think that is not enough and they look for a 5-40 for better protection.

midwest or not ,ambient temperature has nothing to do with the second number 30 or 40.
Ah, I see my mistake. I'm still learning. They should label the x-axis better on those online bar charts.

Last edited:
i am reading forums from owners from many manufacturers and i have to say that people still insist that the 5-40 is the ideal grade for their car.why people still insist on that oil?
Because between the A40 and 229.5 specs, you can't find a better oil.

Back