Can you feel the difference between SL and XL tires?

I currently have a '23 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.5 Turbo which I am enjoying. That 2.5T with 311 lb/ft of torque scoots the car along pretty well. The SUV is big enough without being too big and it's comfortable. I like that it's got plenty of buttons instead of everything being controlled be the touch screen. So I'm really liking the car but the one thing I would change would be the suspension. It's a bit more floaty than I would like. Now, I'm 99% sure that the Continental Crosscontact LX Sport tires that came on the vehicle are SL rated. Since the Santa Fe is not an enthusiasts vehicle there is little in the way of alternate suspension and I don't want to get into an expensive guessing game of trying different things. So I'm wondering when the time comes for tires (only have a little over six thousand miles right now), would making a switch to an XL tire make any noticeable difference that I would feel.

So far these tires have been fine. Bought the car in March so haven't driven in snow yet. But as we know, OE tires generally aren't all that great, so I may make a change before the tires wear out.

Any thoughts on whether or not going from SL to XL would make much of a difference?

Thanks

My lady says she can feel a difference between standard and XL rubber ;)

There is more difference between make/models of tires than there is between SL and XL of the same make/ model. Look at what the reviews say, not whether the tire is SL or XL.

There is more difference between make/models of tires than there is between SL and XL of the same make/ model. Look at what the reviews say, not whether the tire is SL or XL.
I wouldn't necessarily stay with the same make and model. Continental's Extremecontact DWS 06 is available in my size (235/55/19). I've had them before on other cars and liked them, but they were smaller, sportier cars, so very difficult to compare to the Santa Fe.

CapriRacer is right. I have replaced an SL tire with an XL tire, and the XL tire was much more comfortable than the SL tire.
Same size, both summer UHP category, same tire pressures, and different make.

More than just SL verses XL…

Speed rating, low rolling resistance, tread wear, and temperature rating
are all factors to consider…

So I'm really liking the car but the one thing I would change would be the suspension. It's a bit more floaty than I would like.

In the 235/55/19 the "55" indicates the potential "floatiness" (relative sidewall height). Assuming you have correct tire pressures, the "55" is an excellent compromise between comfort and handling therefore your problem is unlikely to be caused/solved by tires.
A minor improvement can sometimes be gained by increasing the tire pressure (up to +4psi).
Suspension modification (spring/dampener) or sway bar diameter is more likely to fix it.
----
On my car, I was surprised how much is (front axle) handling dependent on rear axle suspension. If you do not want to lose comfort on the front seats you may try to alter (stiffen) just the rear axle setup as a first step.

Last edited:
General RT45, “H” speed rated…

On the other hand, going to a 245/55R19 make the SL version of the General 365 AW available…

General RT45, “H” speed rated…
I was doing some research this afternoon. General makes a version of the RT45 that is 105V XL. That looks interesting to me because of the XL, and I was a fan of the RT43s that I've had before. So if I move to an XL that could be the one.

Back