CAN View-Very Cool! (caution: pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did it. I actually completed a more-than-trivial mod to my Prius. This evening, I installed a CAN View system. Prius haters, run for cover now. Actually, I think even the hardest-core Prius haters will have to admit, this thing is cool!

The CAN View unit is about the size of a large digital camera, and when installed, sits under the driver's seat, secured atop the NAV unit (if you have that).

So what does it do? Essentially, one side of the unit (output) is wired in series between the NAV unit and the multi-function display (MFD). The input is a cable that you thread under the door sill molding, up into the dash. It plugs into the OBD2 port, and remains there (it can easily be pulled off and moved aside for service visits).

Why?

Well, the Prius already presents a fairly large amount of data compared to a regular car. CAN View dynamically taps the ECU and presents an amazing range of customizable, variable-format displays -- enough to keep any geek happy for years.

This is how the display photographed this evening in the dark. After this, I went no flash, which makes great images of the screen, but you can't see the surroundings. For those of you who've never been in a Prius, this display sits atop the middle of the dash. The normal instrument cluster is about 18 inches to the left.
Dirty%20Screen.jpg

Here is an example of the ten or so standard Toyota screens:
Energy-1.jpg

CAN View starts with this menu screen:
CAN%20VIEW%20Menu.jpg

You can have multiple custom graphic screens like this (the bars in the open spaces are dynamic, of course):
Graph-2.jpg

Or this:
Graph-Output.jpg

Or you can set up custom pages of data like this:
EV%20Parameters.jpg

Or trip data, like this:
Trip-1.jpg

But one of the very best features is this: direct access to diagnostic codes – no more need to go find a scan tool if the dreaded MIL/CEL comes on. You just jump over to this screen:
DTCs.jpg

And there’s more!

You can probably tell, I like this thing! It’s going to take me a while to set up all my custom screens. First up will be monitoring coolant, transmission, and inverter temps so I can block the grille just enough to boost mileage without raising temps dangerously (in cold weather, proper grille blocking in this car will get you a 3-5 mpg gain).

Shoot, this thing is cool.

Kudos to Norm up in British Columbia who makes these things one at a time, to order – pure genius!
cheers.gif

Canadian, eh!!!

Norm better watch out, or he'll be working for Toyota.

That thing is very cool. Reminds me (sorta) of the VAG-COM that Ross Tech makes for VW's. I had the program on my laptop for my Beetle. Big difference was, I had to have the laptop in the car to use the program. Your setup is way cooler.

I'm indifferent to the Prius and hybrids in general but anytime you can pull up data like that it is pretty cool. Sure beats driving around with my lap top plugged in!

It's a ScanGuage on steroids.

One thing that annoys me about the ScanGauge, by the way, is the fact that it does NOT display all of the standard OBD-II data items that are available from CANbus. These are not manufacturer-specific data items, just ones that ScanGauge doesn't, for whatever reason, support.

Quote:

Way cool. Does it record as well or just display?

It records data internally, depending upon how you set it. It also has an option to port data over to a PC. And if you ask nicely, it will arrange dates with beautiful women. Well, OK, the last part is -- ummmm -- a lie (but it was fun to tell...).
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Anyway, great recording options. I'm probably going to do the port thing before long.

Obviously, I'm pretty happy with this unit. Thinking about it, given how many cars are now appearing with built-in NAV screens, I'm somewhat surprised that generic versions have not appeared for more mainstream cars.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Thinking about it, given how many cars are now appearing with built-in NAV screens, I'm somewhat surprised that generic versions have not appeared for more mainstream cars.
cheers.gif

You know, all you really need is a video output and this thing would work on any NAV with a video input. Most of the aftermarket NAVs have this capability (and my Odyssey has one for the Rear Entertainment System - although that wouldn't work for the driver).

That would also be a lot less work in the install. Plug into power, the OBDII, and the video input and you are set to go. If you want to get really tricky, make an iPod interface so you can still listen to music at the same time.

Shield the critter so as to continue operation the next time an EMP from a stratospheric thermonuclear detonation occurs!!!!!

It would, in theory, be possible to create new firmware for the Saab 93 which enables this sort of functionality on the existing LCD display, since it's connected to all the busses in the vehicle.

Quote:

Shield the critter so as to continue operation the next time an EMP from a stratospheric thermonuclear detonation occurs!!!!!

Well, I did ask for one custom extra -- one button disintegration of left-lane slowpokes who won't allow others to pass. Strangely enough, Norm indicated that he has not yet included that feature in for-sale models (something about inability to distinguish law enforcement vehicles...). Hey, just because I drive a Prius, that doesn't mean I drive slowly.
wink.gif
cheers.gif

Quote:

If you hit the stealth button are you invisible to radar?
grin.gif

If only. . . Actually, that's a readout of drive train mode. "ICE On" indicates the gas engine is running, "Stealth" means you're running electric only, "EV only" means you're equipped to do so (not a standard US feature) and you've "disallowed" ICE operation.
cheers.gif

I'm getting one of those cars, they are so technical. They only exsist in your mind. They take you places you have never been before. They are in my imagination.

What kind of gas mileage have you been seeing? Also, have you considered doing the plug-in mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back