Can MMO be substituted for gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So "MMO " is better than the several forms of Stabil, which are designed specifically for the purpose?

The OP is storing the engine with an empty tank. Stabil keeps gas fresh for up to 12 months. How would it help someone running their tank dry and the carb empty? For 1 year storage I use Stabil all the time. My 15 HP outboard, the carb is full with MMO. I'm willing to be 11 years later she'll start right up.

I did read the OP's posts.

However, his post title was,
Quote:

It cannot because of density, vapor pressure, chemical makeup, octane rating, etc.

Now, if you want to add some Stabil to stabilize the fuel, sure.

Pure MMO will not combust properly.

Last edited:
Yes, it has been beaten to death. I suppose if somebody cannot follow directions they should not use any oil supplement. MMO should not be used in oil at a higher percentage then 20%-25% in an automobile. I can't remember exactly how much is allowed in gasoline, but the directions are on the container and I personally never put more than a little MMO in fuel.

Hopefully these people who are incapable of reading the directions will not put diesel fuel in their gasoline engine vehicle, or gasoline in their diesel fuel vehicle. If they are so totally unable to follow directions maybe they should pay somebody to fuel their vehicles for them.

A person HAS to be able to follow directions. In just about anything. Directions have to be followed cooking food.

And if anybody has an extreme hatred for MMO or oil supplements in general, don't use MMO or any oil supplements. If you don't believe in fuel supplements and oil supplements, than put only gasoline of the correct octane in you gasoline fueled vehicle (hopefully they can read their owner's manual and figure out what is the correct octane), put only diesel fuel in your diesel fueled vehicle, and put only motor oil of the correct viscosity and service in you vehicle. If somebody cannot understand the differences in motor oil they need to take their vehicle to the dealership or a professional service facility to have the oil changed. There is a difference in motor oils (some vehicles require diesel engine oil, some require gasoline engine oil, some might require synthetic oil) so anybody incapable of following directions really should have their oil changed by somebody who does know what to do.

Yah, it works good. Except the stoopid old B+S flat heads run pretty good on MMO
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Yes, it has been beaten to death. I suppose if somebody cannot follow directions they should not use any oil supplement. MMO should not be used in oil at a higher percentage then 20%-25% in an automobile. I can't remember exactly how much is allowed in gasoline, but the directions are on the container and I personally never put more than a little MMO in fuel.

Hopefully these people who are incapable of reading the directions will not put diesel fuel in their gasoline engine vehicle, or gasoline in their diesel fuel vehicle. If they are so totally unable to follow directions maybe they should pay somebody to fuel their vehicles for them.

A person HAS to be able to follow directions. In just about anything. Directions have to be followed cooking food.

And if anybody has an extreme hatred for MMO or oil supplements in general, don't use MMO or any oil supplements. If you don't believe in fuel supplements and oil supplements, than put only gasoline of the correct octane in you gasoline fueled vehicle (hopefully they can read their owner's manual and figure out what is the correct octane), put only diesel fuel in your diesel fueled vehicle, and put only motor oil of the correct viscosity and service in you vehicle. If somebody cannot understand the differences in motor oil they need to take their vehicle to the dealership or a professional service facility to have the oil changed. There is a difference in motor oils (some vehicles require diesel engine oil, some require gasoline engine oil, some might require synthetic oil) so anybody incapable of following directions really should have their oil changed by somebody who does know what to do.

It's like taking meds, a little can be good, a lot might just kill you.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
I got a smaller tiller that I'll be putting away for the next couple years. I did followed the manual for long term storage by running the fuel tank empty. However, I do see a little bit of fuel left in tank as well as the fuel line. I really don't want to disassemble anything just to get that small bit of fuel out.

I'm thinking of using MMO to "flush" the fuel out before storing it by filling the tank just with a little bit of MMO and running the tiller until its gone. I'm thinking that way, the fuel doesnt deteriorate inside and will be replaced with the MMO.

What's everyone's thoughts about this?

I don't know what type of tiller you have but typically it is recommended to run the tank as dry as possible for long term storage. The next time you run the machine put fuel in and fuel stabilizer.

I just now bought a new Honda lawnmower and in the owner's manual for the lawnmower they permit the use of fuel stabilizer. But you would add some stabilizer to the fuel, and not use just stabilizer.

MMO can act somewhat like fuel stabilizer but I personally would certainly not run just MMO and not gasoline.

It is unlikely that just a small amount of gasoline left in the tank, after you add fresh fuel and a small amount of fuel stabilizer, is going to damage the engine.

It is important to get any fuel left out of the carb. In the case of my Honda lawnmower, before long term storage it is recommended to cut off the fuel supply and run the mower until the engine quits, or a person could run the lawnmower out of fuel by just running it until the engine quits.

When you take the machine out of storage, add fuel and some fuel stabilizer.

During the season I run 93 octane with a half of can of sea foam in 2.5 gallon fuel can. The last two mows in the fall I run Tru fuel.

Note there will be gas in the fuel bowl after the engine stops running. Enough so I would not leave unstabilized gas in the carb.

If "long term" storage of the tiller is several years, I would sell it now and buy another if you decide you need one in a few years.

Actually I have never had any problems leaving fuel in the tank with fuel stabilizer in the fuel for winter storage.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Actually I have never had any problems leaving fuel in the tank with fuel stabilizer in the fuel for winter storage.

Up to a year no problems here either. Longer than that bad things can happen. I left my 11 hp Honda power washer gas tank full for a few years, with a heavy dose of MMO in it the gas.The engine was fogged with MMO as well. I drained the gas filled it with fresh gas, and much to my surprise it fired right up. Lucky day? Probably....

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

No it cannot.

Not directly, but with a bit of work, maybe.

I found this interesting information from wikipedia:

Originally Posted By: wikipedia
In the mid-20th century, kerosene or tractor vaporising oil (TVO) was used as a cheap fuel for tractors. The engine would start on gasoline, then switch over to kerosene once the engine warmed up. A heat valve on the manifold would route the exhaust gases around the intake pipe, heating the kerosene to the point where it was vaporized and could be ignited by an electric spark.
In Europe following the Second World War, automobiles were modified similarly to run on kerosene rather than gasoline, which they would have to import and pay heavy taxes on. Besides additional piping and the switch between fuels, the head gasket was replaced by a much thicker one to diminish the compression ratio (making the engine less powerful and less efficient, but able to run on kerosene). The necessary equipment was sold under the trademark "Econom".[32]
During the fuel crisis of the 1970s, Saab-Valmet developed and series-produced the Saab 99 Petro that ran on kerosene, turpentine or gasoline. The project, codenamed "Project Lapponia", was headed by Simo Vuorio, and towards the end of the 1970s, a working prototype was produced based on the Saab 99 GL. The car was designed to run on two fuels. Gasoline was used for cold starts and when extra power was needed, but normally it ran on kerosene or turpentine. The idea was that the gasoline could be made from peat using the Fischer–Tropsch process. Between 1980 and 1984, 3,756 Saab 99 Petros and 2,385 Talbot Horizons (a version of the Chrysler Horizon that integrated many Saab components) were made. One reason to manufacture kerosene-fueled cars was that in Finland kerosene was less heavily taxed than gasoline.[33]
Kerosene is used to fuel smaller-horsepower outboard motors built by Yamaha Motors, Suzuki Marine, and Tohatsu. Primarily used on small fishing craft, these are dual-fuel engines that start on gasoline and then transition to kerosene once the engine reaches optimum operating temperature. Multiple fuel Evinrude and Mercury Racing engines also burn kerosene, as well as jet fuel.[34]

Wow. A semantics fight.... awesome. :-/

The gist of his question is "can I use MMO to displace fuel during storage," even though that's not what the title said.

It can be used for that, and I have done so. It works well for that purpose, it keeps moisture out, prevents corrosion, keeps the additives in any trace of fuel remaining from precipitating out and causing deposits, and keeps seals from deteriorating.

Its an "off-label" use, but it works and works well. But his idea of starting the engine with nothing but MMO in the tank to draw it into the carb is questionable because MMO doesn't burn like gas. No worries though- If its a gravity-feed tiller, he could just leave some MMO in the tank and it will flow into the carb as the gas in the bowl evaporates and work just fine.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Wow. A semantics fight.... awesome. :-/

The gist of his question is "can I use MMO to displace fuel during storage," even though that's not what the title said.

It can be used for that, and I have done so. It works well for that purpose, it keeps moisture out, prevents corrosion, keeps the additives in any trace of fuel remaining from precipitating out and causing deposits, and keeps seals from deteriorating.

Its an "off-label" use, but it works and works well. But his idea of starting the engine with nothing but MMO in the tank to draw it into the carb is questionable because MMO doesn't burn like gas. No worries though- If its a gravity-feed tiller, he could just leave some MMO in the tank and it will flow into the carb as the gas in the bowl evaporates and work just fine.

Typical MMO discussion! LOL I'm glad someone else had similar findings. I've flooded engines with it, forcing them to stall for long term storage. No problems, even the oil fouled plug is no problem for restarting the engine at a later date. You're correct it is an "off label" use, and it works.

ok, i see it now, sometimes i get in a hurry reading these posts. thanks 440 and demarpaint for clearing that up.

although i have never put straight mmo into a carb, having thought about it i agree it should work for storage, and your experience shows it will.

My question for you guys is: Does it or can it take a lot of cranking to get it started back up if you are not able to drain the MMO out completely when it comes time to restart it?

Reason I ask is i recently had an experience on a new gasoline engine mower that was filled up with diesel! Which needless to say wouldn't run! I drained all the diesel from tank, filter, lines before fuel pump and after fuel pump leading up to carb, but did not disassemble carb. After putting everything back together I refueled with gasoline and pulled a little vaccuum on fuel line leading to pump to help get the fuel through filter and to fuel pump and speed the process out, but it still took about 20 some cranks to get it running again. All is well now!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
ok, i see it now, sometimes i get in a hurry reading these posts. thanks 440 and demarpaint for clearing that up.

although i have never put straight mmo into a carb, having thought about it i agree it should work for storage, and your experience shows it will.

My question for you guys is: Does it or can it take a lot of cranking to get it started back up if you are not able to drain the MMO out completely when it comes time to restart it?

Reason I ask is i recently had an experience on a new gasoline engine mower that was filled up with diesel! Which needless to say wouldn't run! I drained all the diesel from tank, filter, lines before fuel pump and after fuel pump leading up to carb, but did not disassemble carb. After putting everything back together I refueled with gasoline and pulled a little vaccuum on fuel line leading to pump to help get the fuel through filter and to fuel pump and speed the process out, but it still took about 20 some cranks to get it running again. All is well now!

A full carb bowl of MMO with a fresh tank of gas ready to fill the bowl once you fire the engine up will make starting a bit tough, but it should start. mine have. You'll get a smoke show, you might need to change out the plug. If I plan on a plug replacement I store the engine with the old plug, then change the plug after I start the engine and run it a while. I used the word might, I had no problems starting and the plug didn't need to be replaced. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back