Camry vs Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are great every man, family duty grocery getter vehicles where you're sure to find a preference based on something that means something to you.

There are multiple Camry vs. Sonata comparison tests on the web...maybe you can find one written by an Indian, [censored], or trannie and this thread can come full circle.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Only until they have made it. Then they jump to Mercedes Benz first and later BMW. Some graduate to driving a Lexus. If you find one driving a pick up truck, you have found unicorn.

Just by the vehicles parked outside on a Saturday evening, I can tell you if an Indian family is hosting get together :)

You're right - I can't recall ever having seen an Indian driving a pickup!!

Funny.

They drive a hard bargain, too. I sold cars for a few years from 2004-2008, and when an Indian or an Asian pulled up on the lot, every salesman ran for the hills, because they knew they were going to get hammered for days on the deal and make only the $100 minimum commission, if anything at all!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Only until they have made it. Then they jump to Mercedes Benz first and later BMW. Some graduate to driving a Lexus.

The ones by me, usually physical therapists/doctors with a "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of setup, are driving Escalades and Infiniti's.

GenSan said:
Fact: Indian Americans are the wealthiest ethnic group in the good ol' US of A. If I was a car salesman I would be profiling them for some commission.

You are obviously not in sales, lmao.

The only problem with Indian Americans is that as a group they are not usually dumb and hard to take advantage of. Obviously, salesman hate them. An educated customer is the worst enemy of a salesperson.

90 minute commute each way, that would be 15 hours every week stuck in a car.

Get something comfortable like a Lexus. Go slightly more used if the purchase price is set in stone.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Fact: Indian Americans are the wealthiest ethnic group in the good ol' US of A. If I was a car salesman I would be profiling them for some commission.

Have you ever tried to sell anything to an Indian? LOL!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Same goes for buying from an Indian.
I only dealt with them through the Kijiji adds as far as buying/selling goes and they will drive you mad. I simply ignore their inquiries now.

We have a very large group of them in GTA and they are known to pull all sorts of stunts. My cousin is a heavy duty diesel mechanic with a mobile service. He learned not to deal with them the hard way. They would agree on the repair price with him and then after he was done and it was time to pay up, they would all of the sudden be "short" few hundred bucks. Imagine dealing with this after spending several hours crawling under the truck in the dirt, on the side of the road somewhere and having money invested in the parts already.
They pull these stunts with contractors and tradesmen as well. When it comes to money, they're ruthless.

My solution for that would be to simply call a wrecker and take the truck! Lose one to a mechanic's lien and they'll probably smarten up.

Some really great advice. Do that here and get 3 years in prison.

Lots of folks imagine how tough they are, but few seem to understand you can't just go to their house and tow something away without proper documentation.

A mechanic's lien won't do that. Hopefully the shop has a lawyer that gives them better advice than BITOG...

Plus I think the lien will only payoff once the vehicle is sold. Until then you're out of luck. Better take the majority of it now and never deal with them again. Fool me once....

Hmmm, this thread went a little of course.
smile.gif

Good luck in dealing(buying, selling or just exchanging) with them for anything.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Good luck in dealing(buying, selling or just exchanging) with them for anything.

I remember a guy on here selling a car and he remarked how one of the buyers was wearing open toe sandals. I think it was dwcopple. I think he ended up trading the car in since he didn't want to deal with any more buyers.

Thanks all for the responses, had a crazy week and didn't get a chance to respond until just now.

It seems like there is a slight leaning toward the Camry here, and that consensus is Hyundai's quality has gone up, but hasn't completely proven itself. That said, the difference in resale value of Hyundai vs Toyota is negated by the used car prices (Toyota really does make more sense to buy new). For a car that I will buy from 0-30k miles, and hold until 150k miles, I expect the likelihood of major issues going one way or another won't matter all that much.

I think I can warm up to the idea of a DI engine, since the slightly more expensive maintenance isn't as bad as some of the items on my "no" list. Still on the "no" list are:

1. CVT
2. Turbo
3. Start/stop (kills the Malibu which I otherwise would like).

My next move will be to test them both. I had a Camry LE as a rental a few years ago when I got rear-ended, and I liked it even if it was a bit squishy. An SE had better handling, but if you ran over a dime you could tell if it was heads or tails.

My wife has an Elantra, and that drives infinitely better than my Corolla, so I'm going to be very curious to see how the Sonata compares (I test drove one a long time ago, it felt peppy but the engine was a little noisy from when I can recall).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smc733
I had a Camry LE as a rental a few years ago when I got rear-ended, and I liked it even if it was a bit squishy. An SE had better handling, but if you ran over a dime you could tell if it was heads or tails.

That is the thing about our SE. The sports suspension is a little stiff, but handles beautifully around mountain passes. The thing to note is the Bridgestone tires that come stock are junk IMO. Traction is pretty poor in rain and snow. I'm planning on throwing a set of the same Yokohama's that are on my VW on the Camry. I'm curious to see if the ride improves. I don't have any complaints with the stiff suspension, but some do.

This thread is about Camry vs Sonata, but since OP mentioned sharp handling of Camry SE while complaining about LE squishy handling, I would like to add Honda Accord Sport with manual transmission.

Accord Sport is a good compromise of ride and performance/handling. The ride isn't as soft as Camry LE, the handling isn't as sharp as Camry SE but day to day drive is better than either.

Originally Posted By: Delta
I had a Camry LE as a rental a few years ago when I got rear-ended, and I liked it even if it was a bit squishy. An SE had better handling, but if you ran over a dime you could tell if it was heads or tails.

That is the thing about our SE. The sports suspension is a little stiff, but handles beautifully around mountain passes. The thing to note is the Bridgestone tires that come stock are junk IMO. Traction is pretty poor in rain and snow. I'm planning on throwing a set of the same Yokohama's that are on my VW on the Camry. I'm curious to see if the ride improves. I don't have any complaints with the stiff suspension, but some do.

Hmm.. This is worth serious consideration. I would factor in a set of new tires into the cost of acquisition, the Michelin Primacy MXV4s I have on my Corolla have served me well for the last 40k miles.

The Camry SE's handling really did feel perfect, still easy to steer, but much more precise than the LE. There's also a few extra niceties that come with that trim, including fog lights, alloys and nicer interior cloth material.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
This thread is about Camry vs Sonata, but since OP mentioned sharp handling of Camry SE while complaining about LE squishy handling, I would like to add Honda Accord Sport with manual transmission.

Accord Sport is a good compromise of ride and performance/handling. The ride isn't as soft as Camry LE, the handling isn't as sharp as Camry SE but day to day drive is better than either.

I've test driven a '13 CVT Accord Sport back in the day, great car. I love Honda 4-cylinders. I had a 2003 RSX with a manual, but sadly traffic is the reason I had to ditch it for an auto (90 minutes each way, 5 days a week). If reliability/cost of replacement wasn't such an issue, I didn't really mind the way the Honda CVT drove compared to the dreadful Altima CVT. So far word hasn't been bad on Honda CVTs, but the risk of an astronomical replacement cost is frightening.

EDIT: I will agree, this was a better driving car than the Camry.

Last edited:
I've test driven a '13 CVT Accord Sport back in the day, great car. I love Honda 4-cylinders. I had a 2003 RSX with a manual, but sadly traffic is the reason I had to ditch it for an auto (90 minutes each way, 5 days a week). If reliability/cost of replacement wasn't such an issue, I didn't really mind the way the Honda CVT drove compared to the dreadful Altima CVT. So far word hasn't been bad on Honda CVTs, but the risk of an astronomical replacement cost is frightening.

EDIT: I will agree, this was a better driving car than the Camry.

Each one of us has different priorities, we can only post our opinions but you're the one who pay for your car and you're the one who drive it everyday in your environments, so you need to carefully choose what fits your needs best.

I understand about many don't like CVT, I do like traditional AT too, especially newer 6-7 speed AT which is much better than 4-5 speed AT of 15-20 years ago. If Honda Accord Sport has 6-7 speed AT it will be a much better buy than CVT.

One last thing, do you need to get a new car right now ? I think Toyota may have totally redesign Camry in about 6-7 months, or may be next year ?

I see the people on food stamps driving high end cars and struggling to pay for them just to look like (i don't know what) I have tenants that are late paying rent every month driving new vehicles.. Most of the rich have nothing to prove and drive either old cars or leased ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back