Camry vs Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually with the lemon law in most states if a car manufacture fails to honor a warranty it gets very expensive to the manufacturer because they have to give lots of cash up and brand new cars for free..Thats the truth..
I heard all that about Hyundai but it seems to have no or little merit. Of course if you don't change your oil and save the receipts there could be some drama. In my professional opinion Chrysler is the pits.

It makes very little sense to pick up late model used Honda or Toyota. If you are good at making deals and looking at right time, you can get brand new Honda/Toyota at almost comparable price instead used one. The reason people buy Honda/Toyota because they believe it holds the value. So they are never a good deal on used market.

No brainer --- Toyota Camry on every level!!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Unless you want to do regular "media/walnut shell blasting" of the intake valves, stay away from DI only engines.

This is not necessarily true.

It's one of those things that gets blown way out of proportion by the Internet echo chamber.

I've had a few sonata rentals and they've been good cars. However if I was going to spend 90 minutes of my life driving to work, I think I'd want the rolling couch that is otherwise NOT want.

So I'd likely go for the Camry myself.

But actually I'd probably go for a diesel if I was spending 90 minutes one way.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
It makes very little sense to pick up late model used Honda or Toyota. If you are good at making deals and looking at right time, you can get brand new Honda/Toyota at almost comparable price instead used one. The reason people buy Honda/Toyota because they believe it holds the value. So they are never a good deal on used market.

Read this and learn this. If you're looking at cars, figure you'll keep it for 100k, 150k and 200k miles. Subtract the existing miles off the used car. Calculate:

$/mi = purchase price / (100000, 150000, or 200000 - miles on odometer)

I suspect you'll find a deal on a new one better.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
FDCG when i had the shop up until last year we had lots of not so high mileage engines from Toyota and Honda coming in with lots of problems look at sone of the class action lawsuits and you will know what i mean furthermore when my brother had the transmission shop up until he sold it besides Chrysler Honda was his bread and butter he never went mote then a week or two that there was not a honda in his shop..You are thinking of the 80's when Toyota and Honda rusted to the ground but ran like new those days are long gone!

Lots of owners never bother to maintain their cars.

Quote:
I also think the camry failed the crash test big time but not sure what years. I have nothing against Toyota they made me a lot of money but i think the Hyundai is a better vehicle,

? I recall that they had to do a remake after one year, as the testing got more stringent in order to pass 5 stars (probably the offset test). Toyota didn't design an "unsafe" car, it was that the testing changed, and they hadn't designed for that test.

That particular car would still be safer than a Camry of say five years earlier. Which isn't to say that the older cars were "unsafe", just not "as safe", although what is considered "safe" has become something of a dubious measure.

I would go Camry in a heartbeat if that were me. When they sell as many cars as the Camry does, you are bound to hear about more complaints. When Chevy down sized the new Malibu to turbo DI 4 cylinders only, I lost my interest in that car.

Toyota (Camry) all the way.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I
[
Read this and learn this. If you're looking at cars, figure you'll keep it for 100k, 150k and 200k miles. Subtract the existing miles off the used car. Calculate:

$/mi = purchase price / (100000, 150000, or 200000 - miles on odometer)

I suspect you'll find a deal on a new one better.

I like this formula. Thanks for sharing.

The only exception I would make is for high mileage newer models that are heavily discounted. For example, I've seen 2015 Sonatas going for $12.5k with 40k miles on them. Those have to be highway miles because nobody can put 40k on a 2015 city driving. I would be shocked if that car didn't last nearly as long as a new car given the easy miles.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: smc733
I see brand new LEs going for $18,500 off the lot
where? sign me up.

Truecar price is $19.3. So I can easily some dealers doing $18.5 though I bet a bit of haggling is in order.

Still, if I were buying a late model sedan and spent that much time in my car, ID take a Mazda 6 over both the Camry and Sonata

Has anyone else noticed that Indian people (dot, not feather) drive Toyotas almost exclusively? Mostly Corollas, but also some Camrys.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Has anyone else noticed that Indian people (dot, not feather) drive Toyotas almost exclusively? Mostly Corollas, but also some Camrys.

Tell us more observations.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Tell us more observations.

Since you axed, lesbions have a thing for Foresters, and college professors love Volvos.

The only thing that makes me uneasy about Hyundai is how they totally change things up every year or two. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but this could make parts and service difficult and expensive as time goes on.

My only experience with Hyundai was with a used 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe I bought back in 2009. It wasn't perfect, but I really liked that vehicle.

Sturgeon Bay is the LESZ capitol of the Midwest, I travel their rd. in and out and many many in the Mini Cooper..Muzlims love the big Nissan Armada suv

Generalizing here quite a bit, but I don't know a way to get around it. What you observe is true to some extent. Some/many Indians are very frugal. They come to this country to make money and to save money (to support family back home, their own kids, etc.), so they gravitate to vehicles that are not too expensive and that will offer low cost of ownership (read: are reliable and economical). Historically, car such as Toyotas and Hondas fit these requirements. Whether these brands still make cars as reliable as in the past is beside the point.

Only until they have made it. Then they jump to Mercedes Benz first and later BMW. Some graduate to driving a Lexus. If you find one driving a pick up truck, you have found unicorn.

Just by the vehicles parked outside on a Saturday evening, I can tell you if an Indian family is hosting get together :)

I don't know about the cars they drive, but whatever they drive, it is almost 100% guaranteed they will have one of those gold decorated box of tissues in the back window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back